new french edition

  • Julie =^-^= miew miew
    Message 1 of 38 , May 1, 2005
      I dunno if anybody reads/speaks french in here, but if you do there is some
      good news. MnJ is getting a new, much better re-edition with new improved
      translation closer to the original, new covers, and original reading from
      right to left.

      The first edition by Casterman of "L'habitant de l'infini" (Mugen no Jyunin
      translated word for word) was pretty crappy. They decided to make it reading
      left to right, but for some reason they didnt want to reverse the printing
      (you know, so then right handed people become left handed). So what they did
      to make it readable from top left page to bottom right of the page, is they
      moved around and repositioned each frames in a page. Soooo complicated for
      crappy results. It made it very confusing to know who was speaking on frames
      where 2 characters where talking. Sometimes u had to read the bubble on the
      right before the one on the left... sometimes the character on the right
      would speak on the left bubble.. and vice-versa. uhh. And it would take
      forever for a new book to come out because they had to play puzzle with the
      frames. Why did they do this? To make it more confortable reading for french
      people, but keeping the art in its original way? Who knows...

      So Casterman got a whole new manga collection Sakka, and started re-editing
      MnJ while continuing to get new volumes out faster. The new edition is good
      japanese right to left reading, original art, and by checking older volumes
      like volume 3, no more confusing translation. They also keep more japanese
      words instead of replacing the meaning by something french poeple know (like
      food for example, keep the japanese name of the food, then put a footnote
      explaining what it is at the bottom). The "sounds" have been translated to
      something equivalent in french, and althought it "doesnt feel very
      japanese", its still done properly. Also, the new covers got the same art as
      the japanese covers, except some backgrounds have been changed to all white.
      Looks good. Volume 12 is out in May! yay. Check it out here:
      http://www.sakka.info/isbn/2-203-37355-5

      Whats the last japanese volume that came out?

      This will end my email encouraging you to read the new french edition since
      its better than the english edition (seriously, the english edition's
      volumes are much shorter... that... sucks! and it sounds so "american", not
      that i have something againts the "american" way of speaking, but i think it
      doesnt fit the ambiance of a samurai story so well... it makes it feel a bit
      too "modern". But i am not saying that to offence anybody, i love the way
      english is simple to write and speak! Well.. i dunno about old english like
      -Thou, -Thee?!? nobody uses those anymore, its only in old litterature....

      enough blabbling.... goodbye!

      Julie

      >From: SW <upstart55@...>
      >To: manji@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [manji] back again
      >Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 18:12:00 -0700 (PDT)
      >
      >Well, I'm still a part of the mailing list, been a
      >part of it since it was first created back in '99 (I
      >guess?). Hmmm, a Samura story about a femail manga
      >artist...Tim, do you anything about this? If so, any
      >chance of getting Dark Horse to publish it? Also, I
      >remember Dark Horse getting the rights to publish
      >"Ohikioshi" (sp?). Any news?
      >
      >Thanks,
      >Shu
      >
      > > Oh, Blade got translated to swedish! But they stoped
      > > in the middle of
      > > vol1, something about publishing it in the magazine
      > > (that it was
      > > running in) not being the best way to do it(?).
      > > Might come out again. It was _REALLY_ popular. They
      > > did publish a
      > > miniseries by him instead. It was in 2 installments
      > > "Lunch box" or
      > > something like that was the name of it. It was a fun
      > > story about a
      > > female mangaartist.

      >http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Melinda Jansson
      Message 38 of 38 , May 4, 2005
        Boti was really high on our readers poll. just after love hina (highest
        rating in the mag). They got in lots of complaints when that disapeared.
        they published luncheon diary of tears as an apology to the readers. GTO
        is doing fine in our poll so I'd be suprised if that was taken out. I
        read GTO and Power! the other series are not that interesting to me. I
        like reading the manga that the readers send in. we have had 3 so far.
        (one was among the fanart and really crapy quality so it was hard to
        read...)
        other then that, I like the articles they have in the begining of the mag.
        there are 2 companies publishing manga in sweden, carlsson and egmond.
        carlsson started it and have all the really good titels and they have
        all the magazines. egmond started nearly 2 years after carlsson and it
        feels like they only got into it because dragonball was selling of the
        charts for carlsson. they have ranma, detective conan and time stranger
        kyoko to name some of their titels. Unfortunetly they quality of the
        egmond books are really low. :-(
        I got detective conan vol1 just to check out the series and was
        disapointed. you can see pixelations in the art and the swedish sounds
        like someone in their 50's trying to sound like they are 15. it's very
        monotone to read the dialog and you can't see any diffrence between the
        characters when they speak. it's like that with all of the egmond. The
        carlsson books have a better flow in the swedish and the quality is much
        better.
        If anyone els on the list has read the swedish books, please tell me
        what you thought of them.

        if you get tired of waiting for the english version, mail me and I could
        order them for you and send them to you.

        /Avihenda