Re: 4 New Episodes Online! ?'s

  • discomunication
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
      Wow, I've almost forgotten how much I miss getting Afternoon everymonth, but at
      least I am saving a lot of money by not buying stuff from Sasuga every week. Oh, I
      don't want to sound spoiled or ungratefull, but you thanked Jae for mailing you the
      copies of Afternoon you were missing.... and.... well.... it was me, Jesse who mailed
      them to you. (Unless Jae also sent you stuff?) And what happend to Episode 114 that I
      sent you? It's still MSPaint Theater on the site.
      About Dowa question:
      I am just now seeing the last 2 issues, but when they went into hiding their disguises
      were changing every month. Dowa probably got tired of wearing a scarf around the
      lower half of her face, and caked some make-up over her tattoo, She seems like she
      would be pretty pale, geisha pale, anyways. She also seems to wear a wig and dress
      more like a girl now (kimonos instead of her hakama).

      Say Andy I know (never realized how much though) you can't show everything that
      happens in each episode, but what happened to Dowa and Isaku's journey out of
      Hakaido and their capture/rape?/escape? And I can't believe you left out all the
      comical scenes with Dowa... well I guess they do add up and eat into the actual story.
      That would take up a lot of space for just "summaries".

      Thanks for the update Andy,
      Jesse
    • discomunication
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
        > Hakaido

        It's Hokkaido sorry.
      • Andy Kitkowski
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
          Aya! It was Jesse, sorry about the confusion there! (and sorry to Jae for
          the confusion as well) That's what I get for not going over my email
          carefully enough. *sigh* Sorry again, I just updated that page. (^.^;

          > Say Andy I know (never realized how much though) you can't
          > show everything that happens in each episode, but what
          > happened to Dowa and Isaku's journey out of Hakaido and their
          > capture/rape?/escape? And I can't believe you left out all
          > the comical scenes with Dowa... well I guess they do add up
          > and eat into the actual story.

          Yeah, I mean they're great and all, but with the summaries, I want to stay
          well within the bounds of "Fair Use'. So I stick to no more than about
          14-16 pictures a month. Unfortunately, that means that I can't get ALL the
          cool stuff in there. And sometimes I specifically leave out the "really
          cool" pictures, if I think that, to see them with the rest of the story (in
          the Dark Horse comic) would have more impact.

          With 15 or so pics a month, I can still claim Fair Use, and thus my site
          becomes a place for folks to get their Blade on before it gets released in
          their language. If I start doing 25-30+ pics a month, apart from being a
          major time and energy drain (cause I have to think of something to say for
          almost every pic and all), it just wouldn't be fair to the folks that are
          spending time and money to translate it into English and release it in N.
          America. At that point, It's like I'm doing something that falls halfway
          between "spoilers" and "scanlation".

          But to be honest, it's more about being fair to the Dark Horse folk, who
          again are doing a fantastic job*, than any of my own fears about legal
          stuff.

          -Andy

          * And I can be just as snooty as other Japanese translators at times,
          looking at translated materials and going, "Oh, I TOTALLY would have written
          this in a different way." or "Man, these guys are hacks", etc. With
          DH/Studio Proteus' handling of BOTI, though, I haven't a leg to stand on-
          It's rock solid, and amazes me every time I pick up a graphic novel.
        • discomunication
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
            >And what happend to Episode 114 that I
            > sent you? It's still MSPaint Theater on the site.

            I'm thinking of a different chapter. The one I sent you still says,"This was the best MnJ
            episode ever. EVER.There was no MnJ episode in the history of the manga that was
            better than this one."

            -Jesse

            > but what happened to Dowa and Isaku's journey out of
            > Hakaido and their capture/rape?/escape?
            >
            > Thanks for the update Andy,
            > Jesse
          • Jae Brodsky
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
              > Aya! It was Jesse, sorry about the confusion there! (and sorry to Jae
              > for
              > the confusion as well) That's what I get for not going over my email
              thank you. i was completely confused, since doing something generous just
              doesn't sound like me.