Tim: about Trigun

  • Mary Pekowski
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
      Now that DH has officially announced acquiring Trigun, I've got some questions:

      1) Will Studio Proteus be doing the translation?
      2) Will the GNs be cheaper than other DH properties? (more like the cost of a TokyoPop GN)
      3) Will the novels be released at the same rate as other DH properties?

      Thanks for any info you have.

      Mary P.
    • Tim Ervin-Gore
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2003
        Re: [manji] Tim: about Trigun
        Hi Mary,

        1) Nope. Trigun, Berserk, and some other new properties are part of our new partnership with Digital Manga.

        2) I'm not exactly sure about the price point on this series. I think we're going to try to reach for the lower, ten dollar range, but I can't verify that. We will be publishing in similar size as TP GNs, and in non-Western format.

        3) Most of our properties are not released in what would be considered a regular consistency. If you're referring to Oh My Goddess! and Blade of the Immortal, which we print in monthly issues initially, no, the new books will not be published at that rate. Instead, we'll be publishing a book every two months or so. Trigun is slated to be released every other month, and I believe Berserk is every third month.

        Thanks for the questions and interest.

        --Tim

        Now that DH has officially announced acquiring Trigun, I've got some questions:

        1) Will Studio Proteus be doing the translation?
        2) Will the GNs be cheaper than other DH properties? (more like the cost of a TokyoPop GN)
        3) Will the novels be released at the same rate as other DH properties?

        Thanks for any info you have.

        Mary P.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • discomunication
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2003
          Is Berserk going to be a mature readers / adult title or is it going
          to be heavily censored?
          -Jesse
        • Tim Ervin-Gore
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3, 2003
            I haven't seen the content yet, and I'm not editing that one, so I
            can't say for sure. But if there's underage sex, graphic sex, or
            monkeys smoking cigarettes, chances are that kind of content will be
            edited. Especially monkeys smoking cigarettes.

            --Tim

            >Is Berserk going to be a mature readers / adult title or is it going
            >to be heavily censored?
            >-Jesse

          • discomunication
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3, 2003
              --- In manji@yahoogroups.com, Tim Ervin-Gore <time@d...> wrote:
              > I haven't seen the content yet, and I'm not editing that one, so I
              > can't say for sure. But if there's underage sex, graphic sex, or
              > monkeys smoking cigarettes, chances are that kind of content will
              be
              > edited. Especially monkeys smoking cigarettes.
              >
              > --Tim

              Oh, then DH is going to have to edit a LOT. There is no underage sex
              (no wait there is actually one), but there is a LOT of GRAPHIC sex. I
              think there is near deamon rape and beastialaity. I say Near becuase
              Gatsu usually cuts the deamon or beast (horse) in half before the
              rape can actually occur, but it is usually pretty clear what was
              about to happen. Your going to have to completely cut some chapters
              from the story, because there have been a few chapters with people
              having intercourse for more than 20 pasges. I fact there has been one
              instance where the sex spilled over into the next chapter. I don't
              know how you're going to do it, because in some cases the sex is an
              important part of the plot. Like How Gatsu lost his eye, Why Kaska's
              personality is different in the second half of the manga, and a cult
              with some explict rituals. The list goes on. But I must admit a lot
              of the sex is pretty pointless.
              If Dark Horse is willing to publish a series like this maybe there is
              hope for Eden. Is there any word on an English version of Eden: It's
              an Endless World or BLAME!?
              -Jesse

              > >Is Berserk going to be a mature readers / adult title or is it
              going
              > >to be heavily censored?
              > >-Jesse
            • Jae Brodsky
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 3, 2003
                then this brings up the whole editing-for-content argument. would it be
                better to not edit the series and try to sell it with a warnign on the
                cover? although i can see how that would be misconstrued as a warning
                that it is a hentai manga. but i really don't like the idea of editing a
                series like that (possibly because i'm a crazy liberal).
                monkeys smoking cigarettes....EW!
                jae

                "On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray,
                Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right
                answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of
                confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -- Charles Babbage

                home page: http://www.math.ucla.edu/~brodsky

                On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, discomunication wrote:

                > --- In manji@yahoogroups.com, Tim Ervin-Gore <time@d...> wrote:
                > > I haven't seen the content yet, and I'm not editing that one, so I
                > > can't say for sure. But if there's underage sex, graphic sex, or
                > > monkeys smoking cigarettes, chances are that kind of content will
                > be
                > > edited. Especially monkeys smoking cigarettes.
                > >
                > > --Tim
                >
                > Oh, then DH is going to have to edit a LOT. There is no underage sex
                > (no wait there is actually one), but there is a LOT of GRAPHIC sex. I
                > think there is near deamon rape and beastialaity. I say Near becuase
                > Gatsu usually cuts the deamon or beast (horse) in half before the
                > rape can actually occur, but it is usually pretty clear what was
                > about to happen. Your going to have to completely cut some chapters
                > from the story, because there have been a few chapters with people
                > having intercourse for more than 20 pasges. I fact there has been one
                > instance where the sex spilled over into the next chapter. I don't
                > know how you're going to do it, because in some cases the sex is an
                > important part of the plot. Like How Gatsu lost his eye, Why Kaska's
                > personality is different in the second half of the manga, and a cult
                > with some explict rituals. The list goes on. But I must admit a lot
                > of the sex is pretty pointless.
                > If Dark Horse is willing to publish a series like this maybe there is
                > hope for Eden. Is there any word on an English version of Eden: It's
                > an Endless World or BLAME!?
                > -Jesse
                >

                > > >Is Berserk going to be a mature readers / adult title or is it
                > going
                > > >to be heavily censored?
                > > >-Jesse
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                > width
                > width

              • Tim Ervin-Gore
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 3, 2003
                  Actually, chances are if the sex is the typical Japanese
                  glowing-crotch style, or simply doesn't bother detailing genitalia,
                  it won't be that big of a deal (at least I'd push it through), but
                  the suggestion of underage people having sex is like committing
                  murder in America (because everyone knows that teens don't have sex),
                  so that, without a doubt, would be edited out.

                  Again, I'm really not familiar enough with Berserk to know, so we'll
                  have to see what happens.

                  --Tim