sing a song

  • fujita_gorou <fujita_gorou@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2003
      Hi all,

      It's been a while since I posted, (or anyone else really), so
      here's some j-pop thanks and recommendations for you. I got a
      bunch of CDs at christmas (which I actually ordered myself ^_^),
      and I think it was Andy who said Cocco was his favorite artist,
      so I got her 2-disc best+ura best on blind faith. I was greatly
      rewarded. I like 'jukai no ito' best so far, but the whole album
      flows so well I almost feel like listening to it twice in a row.
      Also "sing a song" is great jogging music. Thanks for the tip!

      Also thanks to amazon japan's "if you like ... then try..."
      feature, I picked up Azumi Uehara's first album. If you are a
      fan of j-pop at all you should buy this. The music is fresh and
      interesting, and fun to listen to. More modern sounding than
      most j-pop, she has a website with samples if you want to check
      it out. http://www.giza.co.jp/azumi/

      Some other favorites of mine are Miho Komatsu and Arai Akino.
      Actually I "discovered" Miho listening to an Okinawa radio station
      over the internet. I emailed them and asked what the song was
      called and they wrote back with all the info. Even though she had
      been around since 1997 and had 5 hit albums, I had never heard of
      her before. That's the fun part with following japanese culture,
      there is always something new.

      ---
      Clint Moulds
    • fujita_gorou <fujita_gorou@yahoo.com>

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
          Yeah, AKEMASHITE OMEDETOU GOZAIMASU!!!! ... And all that :)

          Been another funky month- My wife and I got a PS2 for the holidays, I
          was out of it for like 10 days with an infected corneal abrasion (the
          kind where your eyes water just thinking about looking at a TV or
          monitor), and I got a sort-of-promotion at work. It was kind of a
          laid-back holiday season at the Kitkowski-Hiromachi house, we were both
          kind of like, "Oh, it's Christmas!", "Oh, it's the new year!". We spent
          the New Years in the traditional Japanese way- Eating mikan, drinking
          tea and playing Virtua Fighter 4 (After an hour and a half, I was only
          able to beat my wife four times).

          I, too, have Japanese-related questions to ask of others in this group,
          but to not turn the topic into a mishmash, I'll just go on about music
          first:

          It's been a while since I posted, (or anyone else really), so here's
          some j-pop thanks and recommendations for you. I got a bunch of CDs at
          christmas (which I actually ordered myself ^_^), and I think it was Andy
          who said Cocco was his favorite artist, so I got her 2-disc best+ura
          best on blind faith. I was greatly rewarded.

          Wow, I'm glad you liked it! I'd hate for someone to get something at
          the expensive prices of normal J-Pop CDs (usually like $30.00 for one
          regular CD!!!) and be disappointed.

          Interestingly enough, while I do love Cocco (she actually went into a
          "mini retirement" of sorts recently, I hear), I've recently (well, in
          the past year or two) gotten really turned on to Japanese soul and
          hip-hop. Well, I've always been a big fan, but I've found some artists
          of note that I've really gotten into.

          Namely, "ACO". She has a bunch of albums out, is pretty much one of the
          highest ranking of Japanese soul/mellow hip-hop, but she only cracks the
          J-Pop top 40 every once in a while. I dig her voice and the innovative
          sound of her songs. I highly recommend trying to find some of her MP3s
          first, though, because while I've recently gotten into her old and new
          stuff, when I first listened to her I didn't like her old stuff at all.
          Some songs to get you going: Yorokobi ni saku hana This Woman's Work
          (she does a cover of this song, as well as "Creep" and "Nothing Compares
          2 U" and others) Shigatsu no hero (4gatsu no hero) Hitotsu no kumori
          Heart wo moyashite Ame no hi no tame ni

          Lately, there's this chick from Okinawa who's become popular because,
          like "The Boom", they combine traditional Okinawan music/singing with a
          modern beat/flair. I forget her name right now, I can ask my wife if
          anyone's interested. After hearing about her (this song made top 10 and
          stayed there for a long time, etc), she got the CD. Orie liked it, but
          not enough to keep it (she bought it on Yahoo Auctions and, after a
          week, turned around and sold it again), and I thought, forgive me, that
          it sounded like the most horrible crooning that I have ever heard.
          However, if you're interested in hearing something... Unique... I
          recommend it. Not buying it, mind you, just hearing it.

          -Andy
        • Andy Kitkowski
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
            Hey all- I know that Brian Drake and others here are into swords and
            kenjutsu- I'm looking for a place that will custom-make tsubas based on
            my own design. They don't have to be functional, they just have to look
            good.

            Any ideas, or suggestions for places to start looking?

            (reason: I need to make one for the grand prize of an awards ceremony
            I'm hosting for, of all things, Independent RPG Design/Publishers)

            Thanks!
          • briandrake529 <brian@boiledchicken.com>
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 3, 2003
              Hey Andy,

              I've never had a tsuba custom-made so I can't recommend a place from
              personal experience. But Howard Clark is a respected American smith
              (http://www.mvforge.com) and off his page is linked to Fred Lohman
              (http://www.japanese-swords.com./) for custom sword restoration. I'd
              think that'd be a good place to start. Another good place to
              inquire for a lead would be Bugei Trading company
              (http://www.bugei.com).

              http://www.nosyuiaido.com/ - is another place to get custom-made
              swords online and I'd imagine they deal in custom-made tsubas.

              Same with http://www.tozando.com/

              I'm out of town right now so I don't have access to my bookmarks or I
              would probably have a few more I could recommend. Hopefully one of
              these I've listed can at least point you in the right direction.

              Only requirement is that you upload your designs and/or the finished
              product for us all to see.

              Good luck.

              Brian