About kanjis or chinese ideograms

  • Karelma Frontera-Acevedo
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 5, 2000
      Could someone on this list please help me find a site where i can
      find the chinese ideogram for the word love? It's for an art project
      at my school. I will appreciate the help, thanks
    • J. Andrew Kitkowski FKA The Ziggurat Bui
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 5, 2000
        > whoops! i shouldve cropped down the image. the 2 large bold characters are
        > the symbol for love. the first one is the old way to draw it, while the
        2nd
        > one in paranthesis is the current simplified way.

        Isn't that backwards? In Japanese, the "ai" always comes out as the first
        kanji (the one not in parenthesis). I've never seen that second kanji
        before. I have this big honkin' kanji dic and it also lists older ways of
        writing the kanji- but the normal way always comes first and the old way is
        written next to it in parenthesis...

        Good luck on the school project! What's it about anyway?

        -Andy
      • H-o-J
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 5, 2000
          i'd like to find kanji too, does anyone know where it's at???
          > Could someone on this list please help me find a site where i can
          > find the chinese ideogram for the word love? It's for an art project
          > at my school. I will appreciate the help, thanks

        • NineInchNerd
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 6, 2000
            From: "H-o-J" <memo@...>
            > i'd like to find kanji too, does anyone know where it's at???

            > From: "Karelma Frontera-Acevedo" <karelma@...>
            > > Could someone on this list please help me find a site where i can
            > > find the chinese ideogram for the word love? It's for an art project
            > > at my school. I will appreciate the help, thanks

            i attached a small gif for the chinese character if this list allows images.
            there are many different types or meanings for love. this is the most common
            one to simply describe 'love' pronouned "ai".

            as for H-o-J. dont confuse japanese and chinese! although they are basically
            the same characters, kanji is japanese, hanji is chinese. japanese is taken
            from chinese. but anyway!

            heres a chinese language page (you will need big5 on your browser to be able
            to view it)

            http://zhongwen.com/

            -Clint

            After the beginning...Satan deceived Man http://crimson.crawlspace.com
            Cliffhanger! WebRing http://www.geocities.com/cliffhangerwebring
            ManHwa http://manhwa.cjb.net
          • NineInchNerd
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 6, 2000
              whoops! i shouldve cropped down the image. the 2 large bold characters are
              the symbol for love. the first one is the old way to draw it, while the 2nd
              one in paranthesis is the current simplified way.

              ps: for all purposes intended, use the 1st one. artists use old characters
              in paintings and such while the modern character is whats taught in school
              and used for everyday writing.

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 8, 2000
                Thanks for the link and pic, NineInch, they really helped.

                > Good luck on the school project! What's it about anyway?
                Thanks for the good luck. It's a mosaic project im doing for the
                arts and craft class.
              • NineInchNerd
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 8, 2000

                  From: "J. Andrew Kitkowski FKA The Ziggurat Builder"
                  <mappy@...>
                  > Isn't that backwards?

                  nope! :)

                  > In Japanese, the "ai" always comes out as the first
                  > kanji (the one not in parenthesis). I've never seen that second kanji
                  > before. I have this big honkin' kanji dic and it also lists older ways of
                  > writing the kanji- but the normal way always comes first and the old way
                  is
                  > written next to it in parenthesis...
                  >
                  > -Andy

                  remember what i said, kanji is japanese, not chinese. japanese use old style
                  chinese characters. china updated everything a long time ago and japan saw
                  no need for it because thy developed the alphabet-like hiragana and
                  katakana. the picture i sent was correct. the one in paranthesis is the
                  current way to write it. i attached another pic i scanned from one of my
                  books thats easier to see. and yep, its the old way of writing it.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 8, 2000
                    > remember what i said, kanji is japanese, not chinese. japanese use old
                    style
                    > chinese characters. china updated everything a long time ago and japan saw
                    > no need for it because thy developed the alphabet-like hiragana and
                    > katakana. the picture i sent was correct. the one in paranthesis is the
                    > current way to write it. i attached another pic i scanned from one of my
                    > books thats easier to see. and yep, its the old way of writing it.

                    Ahh! Oops! That's right, he wanted the CHINESE character for love, not the
                    Japanese. Whew. I just got back from America and I'm still 'lagged, I
                    guess!

                    But that's interesting, though, that in China all the "hanji" were updated
                    while Japan still uses old-school ones. They never got the upgrade to 2.0!

                    -Andy
                  • NineInchNerd
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 9, 2000
                      > > remember what i said, kanji is japanese, not chinese. japanese use old
                      > style
                      > > chinese characters. china updated everything a long time ago and japan
                      saw
                      > > no need for it because thy developed the alphabet-like hiragana and
                      > > katakana. the picture i sent was correct. the one in paranthesis is the
                      > > current way to write it. i attached another pic i scanned from one of my
                      > > books thats easier to see. and yep, its the old way of writing it.

                      > Ahh! Oops! That's right, he wanted the CHINESE character for love, not
                      the
                      > Japanese. Whew. I just got back from America and I'm still 'lagged, I
                      > guess!
                      >
                      > But that's interesting, though, that in China all the "hanji" were updated
                      > while Japan still uses old-school ones. They never got the upgrade to
                      2.0!

                      > -Andy

                      i dont mean to drag this topic on forever because it has nothing to do with
                      BoI, but it was the government that declared mandarin chinese as the
                      official language and were the ones to simplify/standardize the characters.
                      they even created a new alphabet system. i think this all happened in the
                      1950's or 60's.

                      problem is, it never caught on. mandarin chinese is spoken mainly in the
                      beijing area. shanghai is cantonese. everywhere else is some other dialect
                      using old characters. thats why we hardly ever see the newer characters. i
                      have a million chinese, japanese, and korean language books. they all use
                      old chinese characters. i only have a few chinese books with the newer ones.
                      its just that people dont care! why bother to change what works! :)