Re: [manilakiteboarding] Re: make kite formula race board

  • Manfred Luig
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 11, 2012
      Hi Oli , this is Manfred / Starboard/ AIRUSH Philippines.

      I do agree with Jay that the rocker line makes the difference but before you start your experiment I suggest you consider to buy a MONARO V3 test board from us.

      We do have stock and you can get it for a very reasonable price .

      Cheers & best regards
        Manfred

      On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 3:49 PM, oliohh <oliohh@...> wrote:

      here i found the end product of this krace board convert from windsurf slalom. looks interesting:

      http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=2363265

      --- In manilakiteboarding@yahoogroups.com, Jay Ortiz <manilakiteboarding@...> wrote:

      > Oli,
      >
      > I don't think you can match the performance of the race board with this approach. First the rockers are not the same then the trailing side/aft of the race board is wide and square compared to the surf board.
      >
      > Jay Ortiz
      >

      > On Apr 10, 2012, at 11:46 PM, "oliohh" <oliohh@...> wrote:
      >
      > > anyone know how to make a dyi kite race board from old surfboard?
      > >
      > > -oli

    • Jay
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 11, 2012
        Wow oil,

        That's an interesting read! It can be done. Just don't expect to win course racing medals. This is perfect for practicing jibes and the more challenging tacks. Let me know if you will do it. I have the tools and time. I always want to  shape boards. Had a speedboard project 2 years ago.

        Yup you might want to buy that
        Monaro. It's a good race board and it's type approved by ISAF.

        On Apr 11, 2012, at 7:42 PM, Manfred Luig <manfred.s.luig@...> wrote:

        Hi Oli , this is Manfred / Starboard/ AIRUSH Philippines.

        I do agree with Jay that the rocker line makes the difference but before you start your experiment I suggest you consider to buy a MONARO V3 test board from us.

        We do have stock and you can get it for a very reasonable price .

        Cheers & best regards
          Manfred

        On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 3:49 PM, oliohh <oliohh@...> wrote:

        here i found the end product of this krace board convert from windsurf slalom. looks interesting:

        http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=2363265

        --- In manilakiteboarding@yahoogroups.com, Jay Ortiz <manilakiteboarding@...> wrote:

        > Oli,
        >
        > I don't think you can match the performance of the race board with this approach. First the rockers are not the same then the trailing side/aft of the race board is wide and square compared to the surf board.
        >
        > Jay Ortiz
        >

        > On Apr 10, 2012, at 11:46 PM, "oliohh" <oliohh@...> wrote:
        >
        > > anyone know how to make a dyi kite race board from old surfboard?
        > >
        > > -oli

      • oliohh
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 11, 2012
          @jay yeah good read for sure. I'm down to work on a project like this. if you have the tools and time then all we need is materials. this would definitely be a nice light wind toy for marginal conditions. i want to see the speed board you worked on. did you finish? reduce, reuse, recycle old windsurf gear :)

          @manfred i would love to test the monaro v3 :) and i think we should organize a kite expo to have the local kite community try out all of your products. i definitely agree on the rocker issue, i guess the more popular solution for that is cutting back and reshaping the nose.

          @jay/manfred how about the bottom contour? is it better to have a single, double or no concave. how about front single to double middle to back single concave design?

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 11, 2012
            Yup I finished the speedboard. I'll show you the picture when I find it in the storage :). It was fast but volume was too low and I needed a bigger kite to go fast. However, bigger kite means bigger leading edge and more drag. It clocked 60 kph but I can also get that from my twin tip.

            My record gps speed now is 64.8 kph. I also just bought a speed board from cape town and plan to break 70 kph when the condition is right. Boracay speed record is 67 kph.

            Jay Ortiz
            Netspeed Software Inc.

            On Apr 12, 2012, at 10:05 AM, "oliohh" <oliohh@...> wrote:

            @jay yeah good read for sure. I'm down to work on a project like this. if you have the tools and time then all we need is materials. this would definitely be a nice light wind toy for marginal conditions. i want to see the speed board you worked on. did you finish? reduce, reuse, recycle old windsurf gear :)

            @manfred i would love to test the monaro v3 :) and i think we should organize a kite expo to have the local kite community try out all of your products. i definitely agree on the rocker issue, i guess the more popular solution for that is cutting back and reshaping the nose.

            @jay/manfred how about the bottom contour? is it better to have a single, double or no concave. how about front single to double middle to back single concave design?

            --- In manilakiteboarding@yahoogroups.com, Jay <manilakiteboarding@...> wrote:

            > Wow oil,
            >
            > That's an interesting read! It can be done. Just don't expect to win course racing medals. This is perfect for practicing jibes and the more challenging tacks. Let me know if you will do it. I have the tools and time. I always want to shape boards. Had a speedboard project 2 years ago.
            >
            > Yup you might want to buy that
            > Monaro. It's a good race board and it's type approved by ISAF.
            >
            > Jay Ortiz
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On Apr 11, 2012, at 7:42 PM, Manfred Luig <manfred.s.luig@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hi Oli , this is Manfred / Starboard/ AIRUSH Philippines.
            > >
            > > I do agree with Jay that the rocker line makes the difference but before you start your experiment I suggest you consider to buy a MONARO V3 test board from us.
            > >
            > > We do have stock and you can get it for a very reasonable price .
            > >
            > > Cheers & best regards
            > > Manfred
            > >

            > > On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 3:49 PM, oliohh <oliohh@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > here i found the end product of this krace board convert from windsurf slalom. looks interesting:
            > >
            > > http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=2363265
            > >

            > > --- In manilakiteboarding@yahoogroups.com, Jay Ortiz <manilakiteboarding@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Oli,
            > > >
            > > > I don't think you can match the performance of the race board with this approach. First the rockers are not the same then the trailing side/aft of the race board is wide and square compared to the surf board.
            > > >
            > > > Jay Ortiz

          • oliohh
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 12, 2012
              dude i'd like to see your handy work :)

              the right conditions + the right tools + jay ortiz = >70kph

              let's do it heheh