Re: [manilakiteboarding] Kiteboarding locations in the Philippines after Amihan?

  • luigi
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 27 7:36 PM
      Siargao is a place with big waves but not sure what time of the season they have winds there.It is more of a surfing area.

      Luigi

      From: BuddyLopa@...
      Sender: manilakiteboarding@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 00:45:28 +0000
      To: Kiteboarding e-group<manilakiteboarding@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: manilakiteboarding@yahoogroups.com

      Hi Uri,

      Welcome to the e-group. You can catch some medium sized waves at Puerto Galera (just a couple of hours away from Metro Manila) and Boracay.

      Jay, maybe we can hook Uri up with Mariel's group! :-)

      Buddy Lopa
      IKO Asst. Instructor #7622

      From: singla20@...
      Sender: manilakiteboarding@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 14:04:26 +0000
      To: <manilakiteboarding@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: manilakiteboarding@yahoogroups.com

      Hi guys,

      I m from Spain. I arrived to Philippines 1 ans half ago. Since I arrived almost I didn't kite. I used to kite or Surf every week and everyday in Portugal. I missed it so much.
      Actually, I got bored to kite without waves. I like medium-big waves. Guys, do u know any place in Philippines where I can find wind and good waves.

      Cheers bros

      Thanks

      Uri

      From: Jay Ortiz <manilakiteboarding@...>
      Sender: manilakiteboarding@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 15:38:08 +0800 (SGT)
      To: <manilakiteboarding@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: manilakiteboarding@yahoogroups.com

      Hi Jim,

      Welcome to the group. Join us in Caliraya lake this weekend. Just bring your gear, tent and beer.

      June to Sept is either Subic bay or Calatagan.

      Jay Ortiz
      IKO Instructor #4875
      Manila Kiteboarding School

      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 27 8:06 PM
        Siargao has nice waves during the season but iffy winds.

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 27 10:15 PM
          Hey Uri,

          Looks like you've surfed some world class waves.

          Sorry, I misunderstood your query. Puerto Galera does not have waves, but rather, swells of 3-5ft. As you get further from shore, they start to break a little, but not into surfable waves... No pipes there. Sorry to disappoint you.

          Maybe there's someone out there in the group who's tried riding at Batanes where the wind is always howling gloriously...

          How about it guys? :-)

          Buddy Lopa
          IKO Asst Instructor #7622

          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 28 2:38 AM
            Yeah Pagudpud!

            I usually bump into pro kite and windsurfers there when i surf that area.

            A lot of wind and waves. Kinda dying now though.

            Cheers

            Spencer

            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 28 2:57 AM
              So much thanks for the tips :) you guys have a glass of wine free in my restos, barcino.

              By the way, what months is the season Amihan and Monson?

              Anyone has some pictures with good waves and good wind? :)

              Cheers and many thanks

              Uri Singla

              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 28 7:50 PM
                I've been your regular for the longest time. the one in the fort. ill ask Jay to come and visit you. Hope to meet you soon.

                Spencer

                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 28 8:08 PM
                  Hello again Uri,

                  Apologies for responding in installments... Doing so in between meetings. :-)

                  Amihan or the Northeast Tradewinds season usually starts around October and lasts till May or June. However, winds get weak or crummy (10-12kts) towards these last 2 months. Geographically, its best to ride in spots close to the eastern seabord of the Philippines during these times as the wind comes in from the Northeast (about 45 degrees). As you move inward and further from the eastern seaboard, winds veer and come from the east or north northeast. Then the Habagat or Southwest Monsoon season comes in from June to late September. This is when you could get good sessions on the western seaboard spots of the country as winds come from the southwest. This, however, is also the typhoon or rainy season. Winds are gusty and can suddenly die after a typhoon or passing of a cold front.

                  On videos or pictures of kitesuring, sorry I don't have any. I'm basically your run of the mill flatwater rider :-) ha ha ha.

                  Cheers Amigo!

                  Buddy Lopa
                  IKO Asst Instructor #7622

                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 28 9:50 PM