[manilakiteboarding] Trip report- Puerto Galera Kite Safari February 26 Saturday

    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 28 8:53 PM
      Hi Guys,

      It was a great safari! Everyone had fun. We had 14 to 25 kts of wind crossing the channel. It took us total 1.5 hours navigating the 8km channel. As planned we kiteboard in Malahibong manok island for an hour. Had binalot lunch, planned the crossing and way we go! Swells were about 2 to 5 foot. wind towards puerto increased to 25kts overpowering us all. We got to kite around flying fish, passing tanker and a tugboat with a coal carrier in tow. I wanted to jump the tow rope but decided not to since the coal carrier cannot stop in case I get wiped out in front of it.

      Kiteboard Participants were:
      1. Jay
      2. Buddy
      3. Ming Juan
      4. Art
      5. Ron
      6. Chris
      7. Reo
      9. Erwin
      10. Eddie
      11. S-boy
      13. Mariel
      14. Teban L. (on a windsurf)

      Support and cheering were
      1. Freddie P
      2. Tina Juan
      3. Coby and wife
      4. Julius
      5. Miguel and Girlfriend
      6. Teban's Girlfriend

      We had Jeff documenting the whole trip. We will post the video when completed.

      A lot of guys are asking for the next kite safari so here it is! March 25 to 26 in Anilao Batangas. Crossing from Sombrero Island to Ligpo Island! The nice thing about Anilao is if the wind is light then we can either scuba dive or mountain bike!  Mark the date. Lets go!!!

      Lastly, thank you to the Galera guys Mariel, Eddie and S-boy for hosting us and sponsoring the speedboat and big boat! Manfred for hosting us on the Sunday kiteboard session in the beach in front of his house.

      Cheers!

      Jay Ortiz
      IKO Instructor #4875
      Manila Kiteboarding School

      From: Jay Ortiz <manilakiteboarding@...>
      Sender: manilakiteboarding@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 09:58:45 +0800 (SGT)
      To: <manilakiteboarding@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: manilakiteboarding@yahoogroups.com

      Guys,

      Here is the new list. We are now 17 pax: I'll book us rooms in the resort. Its quad sharing at P1,500 per room. This is already 50% discount.

      Kiteboarders Crossing:
      1. Jay
      2. Buddy L.
      3. Ged
      4.Ming J.
      5. Art P.
      6. Ron
      7. Jack
      8. Peter
      9. Reo
      10. Erwin

      Joining the trip (not sailing the channel)
      1. Tina Juan
      2. Miguel
      3. Rachel
      4. Shawn Cody
      5. Mrs. Cody
      6. Freddie P. (Kiteboard in the Island)
      7. Julius Non

      Last day for confirmation/addition is today Wednesday Feb 23, 2011. Call or text me.

      From: Jay Ortiz <manilakiteboarding@...>
      To: manilakiteboarding@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, 18 February, 2011, 3:11 PM

      Kiteboarders and Windsurfers,

      We are having a weekend kite safari crossing the Verde Island Channel to Puerto Galera on February 26 to 27 Saturday to Sunday.

      We will meet at 5am in Shell in Alabang SLEX and head out to Batangas City where the boats will ferry us to Malahibong Manok Island and Lighthouse. We will kiteboard there in the flat water area in the morning. Lunch in the island. Then in the afternoon cross the channel to Puerto Galera. There will be a PWA windsurfing race there that same weekend so we can jam with our windsport brothers and sisters in the evening.

      More kiteboarding on Sunday in the sand bar in Puerto Galera or in Manfred's house beach area.

      First to book first served as we only have limited slots in the boat. Lets go!!!!

      Jay Ortiz
      IKO Instructor #4875
      Manila Kiteboarding School

    • Brad Easton
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1, 2011
        I wish I could have been there to see it !
        Hope you all had a fantastic weekend :-)

        Regards, Brad

        Dr Brad Easton (Hong Kong)

        Hey jay! Hope the gang are having a grand time. Sorry can't join you, in boracay now with US relatives. Great wind here as well.

        Don't forget to post your pix and videos! Let's shred!

        Hey Jay - you guys can stay at my place. 4 up stairs the rest in the sala- no problemo- you can lv the kites in the garden and let's party ;-)))

        Manfred Luig
         +639178138393  +639178138393

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 1, 2011
          Hey Guys,

          As Jay reported, the NEXT kiteboarding safari will be on March 25-26 at Anilao, Batangas.  Route is from Ligpo Island to Sombrero Island, and will be done in conjunction with the Anilao leg of the Philippine Windsurfing circuit.

          Here's a map for reference.  For those whot joined the Puerto Galera Safari, the Anilao Safari is going to be almost twice the distance at 15.3 kilometers.  Please check the photo attachment.

          Although, Jay, I made measurements on Google Earth and it turns out that the distance we covered from Malahibong Manok Island (a.k.a "halfway point") to Puerto Galera is actually 9.2 kilometers (straight line).

          Dream about it guys and lets do some training... Yeehaaaaaaaah!  Let's Shred!!!

          BUDDY LOPA
          IKO Asst. Instructor # 7622