DNS Lesson

  • kthomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2004
      I think I need a short lesson on DNS.

      for my root domain I've set two records using namesdirect.com
      clubhause.com   A    65.171.232.145
      *. clubhause.com   A 65.171.232.145

      This seems to work fine but I suspect it's not exactly correct. I made
      no changes to the settings at "Prefs->Domains" and the URLs point to
      the same site but it only sees me logged in as editor at clubhause.com
      - www. clubhause.com sees me as a guest.

      For a "toplevel-subsite", I created a dns records as below.

      dotcomsingle.com   CNAME  dotcomsingle.clubhause.com
      www. dotcomsingle.com CNAME  dotcomsingle.clubhause.com

      At "Prefs->Domains" I entered
      Domain: dotcomsingle.com
      Object: address

      and now I've got an error
      [Macro error: Can’t find a sub-table named “00001000 siteTree”.]

      and I can't see the domain list.

      I've read
      http://frontier.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$4293?mode=day
      but this has a dead link and

      http://frontier.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$3188?mode=day
      seems dated

      http://frontier.userland.com/domains
      is pretty good but I'm not clear on how Manila v9 expects to get the
      domain, could it simply be forwarded to the server ip? Do we need to
      make A or C records as above?

      Thanks to anyone who can clarify this whole area! I feel it's really
      simple and I'm going to say, "DOH!" very soon.
      /kelly
    • Samuel Reynolds
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2004
        At 2004-07-01 08:53 AM -0500, you wrote:
        >I think I need a short lesson on DNS.
        >
        >for my root domain I've set two records using namesdirect.com
        > clubhause.com A 65.171.232.145
        >*. clubhause.com A 65.171.232.145
        >
        >This seems to work fine but I suspect it's not exactly correct. I made
        >no changes to the settings at "Prefs->Domains" and the URLs point to
        >the same site but it only sees me logged in as editor at clubhause.com
        >- www. clubhause.com sees me as a guest.
        >
        >For a "toplevel-subsite", I created a dns records as below.
        >
        >dotcomsingle.com CNAME dotcomsingle.clubhause.com
        >www. dotcomsingle.com CNAME dotcomsingle.clubhause.com
        >
        >At "Prefs->Domains" I entered
        >Domain: dotcomsingle.com
        >Object: address
        >
        >and now I've got an error
        > [Macro error: Can't find a sub-table named "00001000 siteTree".]
        >
        >and I can't see the domain list.
        >
        >I've read
        >http://frontier.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$4293?mode=day
        > but this has a dead link and
        >
        >http://frontier.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$3188?mode=day
        >seems dated
        >
        >http://frontier.userland.com/domains
        >is pretty good but I'm not clear on how Manila v9 expects to get the
        >domain, could it simply be forwarded to the server ip? Do we need to
        >make A or C records as above?
        >
        >Thanks to anyone who can clarify this whole area! I feel it's really
        >simple and I'm going to say, "DOH!" very soon.
        >/kelly

        In a nutshell...

        For sub-domain hosting (e.g., fred.clubhause.com or jane.clubhause.com):
        - An A-record is required for *.clubhause.com.
        - The *.clubhause.com record points to the machine running Frontier.
        - Frontier looks at the requested host (e.g., fred.clubhause.com
        or jane.clubhause.com) and serves up the appropriate Manila or
        MainResponder website.tree.

        For sub-site hosting (e.g., clubhause.com/fred or clubhause.com/jane):
        - An A-record is *not* required for *.clubhause.com.
        - An A-record is required for each of www.clubhause.com
        and clubhause.com (assuming you want people to use either one;
        if not, you only need one of them).
        - The www.clubhause.com and clubhause.com records point to the
        machine running Frontier.
        - Frontier looks at the requested host (e.g., www.clubhause.com
        or clubhause.com) and the first element of the requested path
        and serves up the appropriate Manila or MainResponder website.

        In both cases, which website gets served up is specified
        by config.mainresponder.domains and the XML site tree.

        - Sam

        Spinward Stars, LLC Samuel Reynolds
        Software Consulting and Development 303-805-1446
        http://SpinwardStars.com/ sam@...