RE: [manila-dev] question re: RSS 2.0 feed output of Manila

  • Lawrence Lee
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
      Thanks, I'll post the request to our bug tracking database.

      Lawrence

    • Steve Hooker
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 22, 2004
        Following the post about too many messages
        <http://radiocomments2.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$39322?mode=topic>
        in one manilawebsite I'm trying to migrate the discussion group over to
        mySQL. Using Mr Tallent's ODBC
        <http://www.tallent.com/frontier/odbc/default.html> extension, I'm able
        to whack the whole of, what is today 143,439 messages
        <http://news.blogfootball.com/discuss/?mode=day>, into a mySQL database.
        So far so cool ;-)

        However, now I need to *get at this stuff* with Manila!

        Before I start to re-write loads of Manila and mainResponder code, I
        thought it wise to ask if anyone has been here before, if there are any
        shortcuts, writing and getting discussion group messages that are stored
        in a SQL db? By pointing to a different discussion group address for
        example, which may contain scripts to get at theSQL stuff?

        Any advice, tips, suggestions very welcome!

        Steve Hooker
        http://www.cybersaps.org/

      • David Carter-Tod
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 22, 2004
          Steve,

          Not really what you're looking for, but for members, you have built-in
          callbacks (getMemberTableAddress):
          http://frontier.userland.com/stories/storyReader$226

          You really need to see if there's something similar for discussion group
          messages - it would make sense if there were.

          David

          _____

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129qu1u10/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
          oups/S=1705005512:HM/EXP=1087996718/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
          anion.yahoo.com> click here

          :HM/A=2128215/rand=865983643>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Steve Hooker
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 22, 2004
            Cheers David,

            There's mainResponder.discuss.getMessageTable but no callbacks, not that
            it would matter if that was the single place I'd patch. Good shot sir!

            Any further suggestions very, very welcome ;-)

            >Not really what you're looking for, but for members, you have built-in
            >callbacks (getMemberTableAddress):
            >http://frontier.userland.com/stories/storyReader$226
            >
            >You really need to see if there's something similar for discussion group
            >messages - it would make sense if there were.

          • Sam DeVore
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 22, 2004
              I would take the time to make a request for a set of callbacks to
              enable you to do this. There are probably a couple of places that
              would need hooks put in. I would be surprised if the Bailey.root
              doesn't already add this somehow it seems to do everything else ;)

              Really I think that the issue of scalability that you are looking for
              is an important one, and I think that it is in many peoples best
              interest to get some callbacks inserted by userland.

              sam d
              On Jun 22, 2004, at 8:40 AM, Steve Hooker wrote:

              > Cheers David,
              >
              > There's mainResponder.discuss.getMessageTable but no callbacks, not
              > that
              > it would matter if that was the single place I'd patch. Good shot sir!
              >
              > Any further suggestions very, very welcome ;-)
              >
              >> Not really what you're looking for, but for members, you have built-in
              >> callbacks (getMemberTableAddress):
              >> http://frontier.userland.com/stories/storyReader$226
              >>
              >> You really need to see if there's something similar for discussion
              >> group
              >> messages - it would make sense if there were.
              >>

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              Samuel DeVore
              http://blog.samdevore.com/
            • Steve Hooker
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 22, 2004
                I bow graciously, and deeply to your deeper wisdom, Sam ;-) Pretty sure
                that there'll necessarily be several callback locations, and other
                'fixes' required to pull this off.

                I'll dig in, and publish what, where & when as I go. Hopefully, others
                too will help. Ultimately, it may get rubber stamped by Userland.