9.02b2 portforwarding OS X

  • dabayly
    Message 1 of 7 , May 4, 2004
      There's still some mysteries here.

      I followed instructions without issue until the portforwarding page.
      But I run Frontier on port 8080, so I still had the cognitive
      dissonance of wondering what to do (needs a bit of text to explain
      perhaps). I don't need port forwarding and I noticed Frontier was
      running on 8080 anyway - I wonder how it knew to, as I copied the
      folder from the dmg to a new location on disk - and then it wanted me
      to set up port forwarding.

      Sorry to say that this area still needs a little refinement.
    • Jake Savin
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4, 2004
        There will be additional port forwarding configuration options in the
        next release, so stay tuned. As for port 8080, that's the default port
        on Mac OS X installs, and the port which is forwarded to from port 80,
        once all is set up. In the next release, you will have an option to not
        enable port forwarding.

        -Jake

        Message 3 of 7 , May 5, 2004
          Yes, I realised later that 8080 was Frontier default when I noticed
          that the port I actually use (8082) wasn't working. Too many balls in
          the air at that moment I think. Perhaps that illustrates my point of
          cognitive dissonance :-)

          An option to not use port forwarding will a welcome solution.

          --- In manila-dev@yahoogroups.com, Jake Savin <jake@u...> wrote:
          > There will be additional port forwarding configuration options in the
          > next release, so stay tuned. As for port 8080, that's the default port
          > on Mac OS X installs, and the port which is forwarded to from port 80,
          > once all is set up. In the next release, you will have an option to not
          > enable port forwarding.
          >
          > -Jake

        • Eric Soroos
          Message 4 of 7 , May 5, 2004
            dabayly uttered:

            > An option to not use port forwarding will a welcome solution.

            It might make sense to seriously consider changing the forwarding
            method to include apache forwarding, since there are ways to make it
            work so that it's a one time change to the settings, instead of setting
            the port forwarding on every bootup.

            I've got configurations that work for all of the OSX client versions,
            including forwarding just some domains or all of them.

            I'd recommend a set of radio buttons with options like:

            () Forward all domains through apache (the built in webserver). Choose
            this if you have no other use for the built in webserver.
            () Forward just the domains listed in config.mainresponder.domains
            through apache. Choose this if you are already using the built in
            webserver for other uses.
            () Run on port 8080. Choose this if you ...

            I understand that it might be too late for this release, but it will
            cut down on support issues for release n+1.

            eric
          • Kaelin Colclasure
            Message 5 of 7 , May 5, 2004
              On May 5, 2004, at 8:28 AM, Eric Soroos wrote:

              > dabayly uttered:
              >
              >> An option to not use port forwarding will a welcome solution.
              >
              > It might make sense to seriously consider changing the forwarding
              > method to include apache forwarding, since there are ways to make it
              > work so that it's a one time change to the settings, instead of setting
              > the port forwarding on every bootup.
              >
              > I've got configurations that work for all of the OSX client versions,
              > including forwarding just some domains or all of them.
              >
              > I'd recommend a set of radio buttons with options like:
              >
              > () Forward all domains through apache (the built in webserver). Choose
              > this if you have no other use for the built in webserver.
              > () Forward just the domains listed in config.mainresponder.domains
              > through apache. Choose this if you are already using the built in
              > webserver for other uses.
              > () Run on port 8080. Choose this if you ...

              +1: This would greatly simplify using Manilla on OS X. Having Apache do
              the forwarding is much more flexible than the current technique. The
              articles that currently describe how to do this are no substitute for
              supporting it out-of-the-box like this.

              -- K

              > I understand that it might be too late for this release, but it will
              > cut down on support issues for release n+1.
              >
              > eric

              > ---------------------~-->
              > Canada.
              > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
              > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/IHFolB/TM

            • Jake Savin
              Message 6 of 7 , May 5, 2004
                It's not too late for this release. This is very much along the lines
                that we were already planning, and the added option of forwarding only
                certain domains would be very useful.

                -Jake

                On May 5, 2004, at 10:28 AM, Eric Soroos wrote:

                > dabayly uttered:
                >
                >> An option to not use port forwarding will a welcome solution.
                >
                > It might make sense to seriously consider changing the forwarding
                > method to include apache forwarding, since there are ways to make it
                > work so that it's a one time change to the settings, instead of setting
                > the port forwarding on every bootup.
                >
                > I've got configurations that work for all of the OSX client versions,
                > including forwarding just some domains or all of them.
                >
                > I'd recommend a set of radio buttons with options like:
                >
                > () Forward all domains through apache (the built in webserver). Choose
                > this if you have no other use for the built in webserver.
                > () Forward just the domains listed in config.mainresponder.domains
                > through apache. Choose this if you are already using the built in
                > webserver for other uses.
                > () Run on port 8080. Choose this if you ...
                >
                > I understand that it might be too late for this release, but it will
                > cut down on support issues for release n+1.
                >
                > eric

                > Canada.
                > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/IHFolB/TM