Re: Doing Technorati queries from Manila templates

  • Marc Barrot
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 23, 2004
      --- In manila-dev@yahoogroups.com, "Lawrence Lee" <tomalak@t...> wrote:
      > This is done in: manilaSuite.news.formatNewsItem

      Thanks Lawrence.

      Tim, until the next update of Manila becomes available, try this:

      Open the Frontier application, then the manila.root window.

      Expand manilaSuite.news and open the formatNewsItem script.

      Locate and expand the //fullItemUrl bundle.

      Add the following line at the end of the bundle's content:

      s = string.replaceAll (s, "{encodedPermalinkUrl}", string.urlEncode
      (fullItemUrl), false)

      Save the script and close the Frontier app window.

      Now modify your items template to insert this:

      <a
      href="http://www.technorati.com/cosmos/search.html?url={encodedPermalinkUrl}"
      title="technorati cosmos link" target="_blank">cosmos</a>

      Let me know how it turns out (and remember the modification to
      manilaSuite.news.formatNewsItem will be wiped out the next time
      Userland publish an update to this script. Hopefully Jake will
      use 'encodedPermalinkUrl' for the name of the new pseudo macro :-)

      HTH

      Marc
    • Jake Savin
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 27, 2004
        I've done a pretty thorough review of this thread, and came to the
        conclusion that the correct thing to do is indeed to add a new macro
        for the news item template, encodedPermalinkUrl. This will make it
        possible to do the BoingBoing-like cosmos links, as well as other kinds
        of links.

        Normally I'd want to avoid introducing more macros when possible, but
        in this case a quirk in the way Manila handles macro rendering with
        news items made it impossible to avoid.

        A slight correction, and a couple of additions to Marc's suggestions:

        We're going to base encodedPermalinkUrl on
        manilaSuite.news.formatNewsItem's permlinkUrl (a local variable),
        rather than fullItemUrl (also a local), which was added in preparation
        for a feature which hasn't yet been released. ;-)

        The first addition is to manilaSuite.themes.getLegalMacrosForObject.
        Basically you can't add the encodedPermalinkUrl macro to the news item
        template until Manila understands that this is a legal (safe) macro --
        at the moment it will be neutered. getLegalMacrosForObject is where the
        change will be made to allow encodedPermalinkUrl to be added to your
        news item templates.

        The second addition is a new macro for the news item template, msgNum,
        which is analogous to Radio's itemNum. This will get you the message
        number of the discussion group message which contains a given news
        item. This may make other kinds of links possible, especially within
        the same site that contains the news item.

        I've got these changes in testing here, and will send a set of parts to
        the list for folks to try out, probably tomorrow. I'll also let the
        Weblogger.com guys know when it's safe for them to install the changes.

        -Jake

        On Apr 23, 2004, at 11:10 AM, Marc Barrot wrote:

        > --- In manila-dev@yahoogroups.com, "Lawrence Lee" <tomalak@t...> wrote:
        >> This is done in: manilaSuite.news.formatNewsItem
        >
        > Thanks Lawrence.
        >
        > Tim, until the next update of Manila becomes available, try this:
        >
        > Open the Frontier application, then the manila.root window.
        >
        > Expand manilaSuite.news and open the formatNewsItem script.
        >
        > Locate and expand the //fullItemUrl bundle.
        >
        > Add the following line at the end of the bundle's content:
        >
        > s = string.replaceAll (s, "{encodedPermalinkUrl}", string.urlEncode
        > (fullItemUrl), false)
        >
        > Save the script and close the Frontier app window.
        >
        > Now modify your items template to insert this:
        >
        > <a
        > href="http://www.technorati.com/cosmos/search.html?
        > url={encodedPermalinkUrl}"
        > title="technorati cosmos link" target="_blank">cosmos</a>
        >
        > Let me know how it turns out (and remember the modification to
        > manilaSuite.news.formatNewsItem will be wiped out the next time
        > Userland publish an update to this script. Hopefully Jake will
        > use 'encodedPermalinkUrl' for the name of the new pseudo macro :-)
        >
        > HTH
        >
        > Marc

        > ---------------------~-->
        > Canada.
        > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/IHFolB/TM

        .
      • Jake Savin
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 27, 2004

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 28, 2004
            --- In manila-dev@yahoogroups.com, Jake Savin <jake@u...> wrote:
            > I've done a pretty thorough review of this thread, and came to the
            > conclusion that the correct thing to do is indeed to add a new macro
            > for the news item template, encodedPermalinkUrl.

            Great! Thanks Jake.

            Now, if I can get my own copy of Manila to work (its setup is a little
            unusual), I may be able to create an activeRenderer for Manila
            edition, with Jack and Georg's help. But that's another thread... :-)

            Cheers

            Marc