Frontier 9.0.1b1 now available

  • Jake Savin
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 4, 2004
      *** Frontier 9.0.1b1 now available

      Frontier 9.0.1b1 is available for testing. This beta release is a full
      install only, and is provided to preview new features, and to test
      improvements in the install and setup process. Upgrade packages will be
      made available in a subsequent release.

      This release addresses numerous bugs in the initial setup process,
      includes an updated Themes set, and introduces enhanced Manila hosting
      features, which make it easy to host a diverse set of Manila site
      communities.

      *** How to test:

      If you're comfortable running beta software, please help us test this
      release by following the instructions on this page:

      http://frontier.userland.com/frontier901b1

      Please post any feedback as a reply to this message on the Frontier
      discussion group:

      http://frontier.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$13197?mode=day

      *** Change notes

      Change notes are here:

      http://frontier.userland.com/frontier901b1#changesInFrontier901b1

      Thanks!
      -Jake
    • mlmauller
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 4, 2004
        --- In manila-dev@yahoogroups.com, Jake Savin <jake@u...> wrote:
        <snip>

        install worked as expected; will exercise it more later
      • Jake Savin
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 4, 2004
          Thanks for installing. Please let us know how your testing goes. -Jake

          On Apr 4, 2004, at 3:46 PM, mlmauller wrote:

          > --- In manila-dev@yahoogroups.com, Jake Savin <jake@u...> wrote:
          > <snip>
          >
          > install worked as expected; will exercise it more later

          > ---------------------~-->
          > Canada.
          > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/IHFolB/TM

        • Jack Foster Mancilla
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 4, 2004
            .

            Install worked ok on Mac OSX 10.3.3.

            On Apr 4, 2004, at 16:21, Jake Savin wrote:

            > Thanks for installing. Please let us know how your testing goes. -Jake
            >
            > On Apr 4, 2004, at 3:46 PM, mlmauller wrote:
            >
            >> --- In manila-dev@yahoogroups.com, Jake Savin <jake@u...> wrote:
            >> <snip>
            >>
            >> install worked as expected; will exercise it more later

            >> ---------------------~-->
            >> Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
            >> Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US &
            >> Canada.
            >> http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
            >> http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/IHFolB/TM
            >>

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • mlmauller
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 5, 2004
              just happened to be on my Jaguar partition for other testing, so I
              tried the installer there too; so I can confirm both Jaguar 10.2.8 and
              Panther 10.3.3 installations work okey-dokey

              hope to have time for intensive testing pretty soon ;<)
            • Jake Savin
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 5, 2004
                Thanks. I've been doing testing on Jaguar, Panther, Windows 98, and
                Windows 2000 Pro. If anyone on the list has Windows XP installed, more
                testing there would be quite helpful. Thanks, -Jake

                On Apr 5, 2004, at 4:07 PM, mlmauller wrote:

                > just happened to be on my Jaguar partition for other testing, so I
                > tried the installer there too; so I can confirm both Jaguar 10.2.8 and
                > Panther 10.3.3 installations work okey-dokey
                >
                > hope to have time for intensive testing pretty soon ;<)

                > ---------------------~-->
                > Canada.
                > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/IHFolB/TM

              • Patrick Ritchie
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 6, 2004
                  Jake Savin wrote:

                  >Thanks. I've been doing testing on Jaguar, Panther, Windows 98, and
                  >Windows 2000 Pro. If anyone on the list has Windows XP installed, more
                  >testing there would be quite helpful. Thanks, -Jake

                  I have it installed on Windows XP here is what I have found so far:

                  bug #1, selected firefox during install and got a 404 for
                  http://127.0.0.1:5336/setupFrontie I manually added the 'r' and it
                  worked fine for the rest of the install.
                  bug #2, regex extensions broken, see post here:
                  http://frontier.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$13204

                  That's it so far....

                  Cheers!
                  Pat
                • sdevore@mac.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 6, 2004
                    Jake I'm going to be able to add xp and mac os 10.3.3 server to the
                    mix, I'll test the installs today

                    sam d

                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 6, 2004
                      Thanks, Sam. I'm very curious to see if you have the same problem on XP
                      that Patrick Ritchie reported:

                      ... where the setup page doesn't load because the URL is missing the
                      trailing 'r' character.

                      Thanks,
                      -Jake

                      On Apr 6, 2004, at 7:30 AM, sdevore@... wrote:

                      > Jake I'm going to be able to add xp and mac os 10.3.3 server to the
                      > mix, I'll test the installs today
                      >
                      > sam d
                      > On Apr 5, 2004, at 5:07 PM, Jake Savin wrote:
                      >
                      >> Thanks. I've been doing testing on Jaguar, Panther, Windows 98, and
                      >> Windows 2000 Pro. If anyone on the list has Windows XP installed, more
                      >> testing there would be quite helpful. Thanks, -Jake
                      >>
                      >> On Apr 5, 2004, at 4:07 PM, mlmauller wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> just happened to be on my Jaguar partition for other testing, so I
                      >>> tried the installer there too; so I can confirm both Jaguar 10.2.8
                      >>> and
                      >>> Panther 10.3.3 installations work okey-dokey
                      >>>
                      >>> hope to have time for intensive testing pretty soon ;<)
                      >>>

                      >>> ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                      >>> ---------------------~-->
                      >>> Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or
                      >>> Lexmark
                      >>> Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US &
                      >>> Canada.
                      >>> http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                      >>> http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/IHFolB/TM

                      >> ---------------------~-->
                      >> Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
                      >> Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US &
                      >> Canada.
                      >> http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                      >> http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/IHFolB/TM
                      >>

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Jake Savin
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 6, 2004
                        We're going to get a fix in for the regex problem in beta 2. Thanks for
                        the info. -Jake

                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 6, 2004
                          didn't have this problem on the install, but using the 'new site' link
                          I got an error about flRequireEmailConfirmation not being defined.

                          Other then that the xp install went fine. Didn't get to the mac os
                          10.3.3 server install yet

                          Sam D

                        • sdevore@mac.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 6, 2004
                            and just for fun
                            Server Software: UserLand
                            Server Hostname: scid.is-a-geek.com
                            Server Port: 80

                            Document Path: /
                            Document Length: 603 bytes

                            Concurrency Level: 20
                            Time taken for tests: 160.369 seconds
                            Complete requests: 1000
                            Failed requests: 1149
                            (Connect: 183, Length: 966, Exceptions: 0)
                            Broken pipe errors: 0
                            Total transferred: 10698647 bytes
                            HTML transferred: 10563065 bytes
                            Requests per second: 6.24 [#/sec] (mean)
                            Time per request: 3207.38 [ms] (mean)
                            Time per request: 160.37 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent
                            requests)
                            Transfer rate: 66.71 [Kbytes/sec] received

                            Connnection Times (ms)
                            min mean[+/-sd] median max
                            Connect: 98 629 201.2 650 1129
                            Processing: 207 2535 1293.3 2956 4572
                            Waiting: 0 2982 763.4 3085 4571
                            Total: 207 3164 1375.3 3563 5184

                            Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
                            50% 3563
                            66% 3980
                            75% 4245
                            80% 4350
                            90% 4542
                            95% 4670
                            98% 4810
                            99% 4892
                            100% 5184 (last request)

                            On Apr 6, 2004, at 12:13 PM, Jake Savin wrote:

                            > Thanks, Sam. I'm very curious to see if you have the same problem on XP
                            > that Patrick Ritchie reported:

                            > ... where the setup page doesn't load because the URL is missing the
                            > trailing 'r' character.
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            > -Jake
                            >
                            > On Apr 6, 2004, at 7:30 AM, sdevore@... wrote:
                            >
                            >> Jake I'm going to be able to add xp and mac os 10.3.3 server to the
                            >> mix, I'll test the installs today
                            >>
                            >> sam d
                            >> On Apr 5, 2004, at 5:07 PM, Jake Savin wrote:
                            >>
                            >>> Thanks. I've been doing testing on Jaguar, Panther, Windows 98, and
                            >>> Windows 2000 Pro. If anyone on the list has Windows XP installed,
                            >>> more
                            >>> testing there would be quite helpful. Thanks, -Jake

                            >>> ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                            >>> ---------------------~-->
                            >>> Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or
                            >>> Lexmark
                            >>> Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US &
                            >>> Canada.
                            >>> http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                            >>> http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/IHFolB/TM
                            >>>

                            >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                            >>

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Jake Savin
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 6, 2004
                              I think if you go to the Settings -> Manila -> Hosting page in the
                              Frontier Admin site and click the Submit button, that this error will
                              go away. We discovered this in internal testing after the beta was
                              released. A fix will be in beta 2.

                              Thanks,
                              -Jake

                            • Jake Savin
                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 6, 2004
                                I'm not sure how to interpret these numbers. Do you care to elaborate a
                                bit? How does this compare with previous versions of Frontier?

                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 7, 2004
                                  The performance seems unchanged from earlier versions, the only concern
                                  was this line. This is the output from apache bench (ab on mac os x)
                                  I will try to get some better granularity on the failures, but the fact
                                  that there were 1149 failed requests (vs 1000 successful requests)
                                  seems unusual, 183 connection failures and 966 where the length of the
                                  result did not agree with the content-length (ie an empty page). I'm
                                  going into work today to set up a new xServe with 10.3.3 that I will
                                  test the install of the beta on.

                                  sam d
                                  On Apr 6, 2004, at 10:15 PM, Jake Savin wrote:

                                  >> Failed requests: 1149
                                  >> (Connect: 183, Length: 966, Exceptions: 0)
                                • dabayly
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Apr 8, 2004
                                    I ran the installer as instructed on OS 10.3.3 and it worked without
                                    issue - Hurrah!. Even used my browser of choice. It did leave me with
                                    a question though. I am running Frontier on port 8080 and therefore do
                                    not need port forwarding. Yet I wasn't given a choice of ports and as
                                    far as I can see from the dialogs my machine was set up to port
                                    forward 80 to 8080? Is this correct? If so , shoudln't the installer
                                    have an option to not port forward?

                                    Also, should I think of replacing the application in my normal test
                                    setup with the new application? The text on on the release page for
                                    9.01.b1 gave the impression that there were no kernel changes. That so?
                                  • Jake Savin
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Apr 8, 2004
                                      On Apr 8, 2004, at 3:10 AM, dabayly wrote:

                                      > I ran the installer as instructed on OS 10.3.3 and it worked without
                                      > issue - Hurrah!. Even used my browser of choice. It did leave me with
                                      > a question though. I am running Frontier on port 8080 and therefore do
                                      > not need port forwarding. Yet I wasn't given a choice of ports and as
                                      > far as I can see from the dialogs my machine was set up to port
                                      > forward 80 to 8080? Is this correct? If so , shoudln't the installer
                                      > have an option to not port forward?

                                      Thanks for testing. Regarding having a no-port-forwarding option, we'll
                                      consider it. We need to weigh the alternatives between a more flexible
                                      install which can handle your (less common) case, and a less flexible
                                      but more intuitive install, which is what we have now. I think an
                                      "advanced options" page might be useful -- if the user just wants to
                                      get Frontier installed, then they wouldn't have to worry about these
                                      options.

                                      > Also, should I think of replacing the application in my normal test
                                      > setup with the new application? The text on on the release page for
                                      > 9.01.b1 gave the impression that there were no kernel changes. That so?

                                      There were no functional kernel changes, but the app is a new build,
                                      since we needed to change the version numbers reported by the Finder
                                      and Windows Explorer. It's probably worth swapping it in for testing,
                                      but just to be safe, make sure you've got viable backups first. It
                                      should be safe -- I've been running it here for a couple of weeks, but
                                      better safe than sorry.

                                      -Jake
                                    • Jack Foster Mancilla
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Apr 8, 2004
                                        .

                                        Hello,

                                        I also think the advanced options page is necessary, because I do not
                                        use port forwarding either. I use apache on the same machine because it
                                        is much faster for static pages, so I use the two together, and need a
                                        port other than port 80 for Manila.

                                        Jack

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Apr 9, 2004
                                          As far as port forwarding goes, I'd say that the option was a
                                          necessity. I can figure out how to turn it off if I must, but don't
                                          want particularly want to spend the time.

                                          > There were no functional kernel changes, but the app is a new build,
                                          > since we needed to change the version numbers reported by the Finder
                                          > and Windows Explorer. It's probably worth swapping it in for testing,
                                          > but just to be safe, make sure you've got viable backups first. It
                                          > should be safe -- I've been running it here for a couple of weeks, but
                                          > better safe than sorry.

                                          In the event the regex problem was a show stopper for me too. SO I
                                          wait for b2.

                                          I have one other question. When will the OS 9 version appear?