edit existing picture

  • Jan M.J. Storms
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 29, 2003
      If one edits an existing picture, for example just to change its
      description (text), Manila makes it necessary to reselect the picture
      from disk using the file dialog.

      If the picture is not available locally, one has to download it first in
      order to be able to reselect it.

      It would be more convenient if the default behavior would be that the
      existing picture were kept, unless one chooses a new one.

      Jan
    • Eric Soroos
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 29, 2003
        On Nov 29, 2003, at 10:14 AM, Jan M.J. Storms wrote:

        > If one edits an existing picture, for example just to change its
        > description (text), Manila makes it necessary to reselect the picture
        > from disk using the file dialog.
        >
        > If the picture is not available locally, one has to download it first
        > in
        > order to be able to reselect it.
        >
        > It would be more convenient if the default behavior would be that the
        > existing picture were kept, unless one chooses a new one.

        If you edit it as a discussion group message rather than a picture, you
        don't have to go through uploading the picture.

        eg: http://www.wiredfool.com/discuss/edit/editInBrowser$1704

        (on my site, you're not going to be able to edit that.)

        eric
      • Jan M.J. Storms
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 29, 2003
          Eric Soroos scripsit dd. Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:49:24 -0800

          >On Nov 29, 2003, at 10:14 AM, Jan M.J. Storms wrote:
          >
          >> If one edits an existing picture, for example just to change its
          >> description (text), Manila makes it necessary to reselect the picture
          >> from disk using the file dialog.
          >>
          >> If the picture is not available locally, one has to download it first
          >> in
          >> order to be able to reselect it.
          >>
          >> It would be more convenient if the default behavior would be that the
          >> existing picture were kept, unless one chooses a new one.
          >
          >If you edit it as a discussion group message rather than a picture, you
          >don't have to go through uploading the picture.
          >
          >eg: http://www.wiredfool.com/discuss/edit/editInBrowser$1704
          >
          >(on my site, you're not going to be able to edit that.)
          >
          >eric

          Well, it's a workaround. But not elegant. Especially not because Manila
          allows you to exclude pictures from showing up in discussion groups.

          I certainly hope that editing a picture's text (or plugin data) would not
          force you to reload the picture from disk, or edit it through the
          discussion group.

          Jan
        • Thomas A. Creedon
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 29, 2003
            --- In manila-dev@yahoogroups.com, "Jan M.J. Storms" <jan@s...> wrote:

            > If one edits an existing picture, for example just to change its
            > description (text), Manila makes it necessary to reselect the picture
            > from disk using the file dialog.
            >
            > If the picture is not available locally, one has to download it first in
            > order to be able to reselect it.
            >
            > It would be more convenient if the default behavior would be that the
            > existing picture were kept, unless one chooses a new one.

            My understanding is that this issue was addressed sometime ago.
            Although there is a bug when working with Mac Netscape v4.7.x. It
            might also occur with other older browsers.

            I just updated some text descriptions of pictures on a Manila website
            a couple of days ago and did not need to reupload the images. I was
            using the picture editing interface as opposed to the discussion group
            editing interface.

            Can other folks confirm or deny these behaviours?
            <pre>
            Toodle-loooooooo..........
            Thomas

            service. "Websites as easy as see it, edit it, save it!<small>
            </pre>
          • Jan M.J. Storms
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 30, 2003
              Thomas A. Creedon scripsit dd. Sun, 30 Nov 2003 07:57:53 +0000

              >--- In manila-dev@yahoogroups.com, "Jan M.J. Storms" <jan@s...> wrote:
              >
              >> If one edits an existing picture, for example just to change its
              >> description (text), Manila makes it necessary to reselect the picture
              >> from disk using the file dialog.
              >>
              >> If the picture is not available locally, one has to download it first in
              >> order to be able to reselect it.
              >>
              >> It would be more convenient if the default behavior would be that the
              >> existing picture were kept, unless one chooses a new one.
              >
              >My understanding is that this issue was addressed sometime ago.
              >Although there is a bug when working with Mac Netscape v4.7.x. It
              >might also occur with other older browsers.
              >
              >I just updated some text descriptions of pictures on a Manila website
              >a couple of days ago and did not need to reupload the images. I was
              >using the picture editing interface as opposed to the discussion group
              > editing interface.
              >
              >Can other folks confirm or deny these behaviours?
              ><pre>
              >Toodle-loooooooo..........
              >Thomas

              I tried it. It works in Netscape, but it does not work in Safari 1.1.
              Safari gives me the error "there is no content type description for this
              picture".

              Here are the respective requestBodies:

              Safari requestBody

              ------------0xKhTmLbOuNdArY

              8
              ------------0xKhTmLbOuNdArY

              http://www2.mysite.com/pictures/viewer$8
              ------------0xKhTmLbOuNdArY

              ------------0xKhTmLbOuNdArY

              testjpg
              ------------0xKhTmLbOuNdArY

              my pict description
              ------------0xKhTmLbOuNdArY--

              Netscape requestBody:

              -----------------------------49123275412217574101985640903

              8
              -----------------------------49123275412217574101985640903

              http://www2.mysite.com/pictures/viewer$8
              -----------------------------49123275412217574101985640903

              testjpg
              -----------------------------49123275412217574101985640903

              my pict description
              -----------------------------49123275412217574101985640903--

              pta^.postArgs.attachFile is defined by Safari but
              pta^.postArgs.attachFile.["Content-type"] is not.

              manilaSuite.pictures.postEditedPicture gives me the error message and I
              do have to upload the picture again

              Jan
            • Thomas A. Creedon
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 30, 2003
                --- In manila-dev@yahoogroups.com, "Jan M.J. Storms" <jan@s...> wrote:

                > I tried it. It works in Netscape, but it does not work in Safari 1.1.
                > Safari gives me the error "there is no content type description for this
                > picture".
                >
                > Here are the respective requestBodies:

                [text deleted]

                > pta^.postArgs.attachFile is defined by Safari but
                > pta^.postArgs.attachFile.["Content-type"] is not.
                >
                > manilaSuite.pictures.postEditedPicture gives me the error message and I
                > do have to upload the picture again

                Hello Jan,

                Here is a fix I added to my own manilaSuite.pictures.postEditedPicture.

                else { // Fri, May 4, 2001 at 12:12:54 PM by TAC - fix picture editing
                bug, Mac Netscape v4.7x, it shouldn't be necessary to re-upload the
                picture to edit the text
                flAcceptUploads = false}

                add it directly below the line...

                if defined (pta^.postArgs.attachFile.["Content-type"]) //PBS 02/05/00:
                fix picture editing bug -- it shouldn't be necessary to re-upload the
                picture to edit the text

                Of course all the usual warnings about hacking on UserLand code. Let
                us know if this does the trick for you.

                Toodle-loooooooo..........
                Thomas

                editHere.com < http://www.editHere.com/ > website hosting service.
                Websites as easy as see it, edit it, save it! (sm)
              • Lawrence Lee
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
                  Thanks Jan and Thomas, I made a note about this issue in our bug tracking
                  database.

                  Lawrence

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
                    Thomas A. Creedon scripsit dd. Sun, 30 Nov 2003 18:30:30 +0000

                    >Here is a fix I added to my own manilaSuite.pictures.postEditedPicture.
                    >
                    >else { // Fri, May 4, 2001 at 12:12:54 PM by TAC - fix picture editing
                    >bug, Mac Netscape v4.7x, it shouldn't be necessary to re-upload the
                    >picture to edit the text
                    > flAcceptUploads = false}

                    It works! Thanks also to Lawrence. I hope this will soon be fixed for
                    everybody.

                    Jan