Re: Beta: Password-protected RSS feeds

  • Lawrence Lee
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 12, 2003
      I tested it here and it worked as expected.

      Lawrence

      --- In manila-dev@yahoogroups.com, Jake Savin <jake@u...> wrote:
      > We have a new feature for testing: Password-protected RSS feeds
      for
      > Manila sites.
      >
      > Previously, there was no way to read RSS feeds for Editors Only
      Manila
      > sites in an RSS news reader. This is because Manila uses a cookie
      for
      > authenticating membership, and most (all?) news readers don't know
      > anything about Manila's authentication system.
      >
      > This feature enables basic HTTP authentication for the RSS feeds
      in
      > Editors Only Manila sites, so that any RSS news reader which
      supports
      > subscribing to password-protected feeds can be used to read the
      RSS
      > feeds in Editors Only Manila sites.
      >
      > *** How to test
      >
      > 1. Download the following file, and import it using the Open
      command in
      > Frontier's File menu:
      >
      > http://jake.userland.com/gems/manilaEditorsOnlyRss01.fttb
      >
      > 2. In the table window that opens, there's a script named install.
      Run
      > the script.
      >
      > 3. Verify that HTTP authentication works with your Editors Only
      site's
      > RSS feed:
      >
      > In a web browser, make sure you're *not* logged into the site.
      >
      > Next, enter the site's RSS URL into the browser's address bar. The
      > browser should present you with a username/password dialog.
      >
      > Enter the email address and password that you use to log into your
      > Manila site and click OK. You should see the RSS feed displayed in
      the
      > browser.
      >
      > 4. Send an email to the mail list, and let us know that it worked,
      or
      > if it didn't, what happened.
      >
      > *** Subscribing to password-protected feeds
      >
      > Some RSS readers support the use of HTTP authentication for
      reading
      > password-protected RSS feeds. Radio UserLand and NetNewsWire, for
      > example, both do. In these RSS readers, the username and password
      are
      > part of the URL used to subscribe to the password-protected RSS
      feed.

      > To subscribe to a password-protected RSS feed in Radio UserLand or
      > NetNewsWire, use the following format for the RSS URL:
      >
      > http://[username]:[password]@[domain]/[path]
      >
      > For example, if the RSS feed is here:
      >
      > http://www.example.com/xml/rss.xml
      >
      > ...and your username/password is me@e..., and myPassw0rd, then
      > use this URL to subscribe to the feed:
      >
      > http://me%40example.com:myPassw0rd@w.../xml/rss.xml
      >
      > Note that the '@' character in the username must be replaced with %
      40
      > (the URL encoding for the '@' character). This is important for
      Manila
      > sites, since members use their email addresses as their logins,
      and
      > email addresses contain '@' characters.
      >
      > Make sure that when using this URL format, that you replace
      the '@'
      > character in your email address with %40.
      >
      > *** Notes
      >
      > This feature also works with the recently released discussion
      group RSS
      > feeds. If your site's discussion group RSS feed is enabled, then
      you
      > can use the same URL formatting to subscribe to the discussion
      group,
      > that you use to subscribe to the site's home page.
      >
      > *** Feedback
      >
      > If you have any comments, questions or bugs to report, please send
      them
      > as a reply to this message.
      >

      > Thanks,
      > -Jake
    • Roland Tanglao
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 15, 2003
        I tested the first part i.e. basic authentication of the feed and it
        worked. I can't test the 2nd part because our test server doesn't
        have a proper DNS entry.

        Looking forward to the release of this feature!

        Thanks Jake!

        ...Roland

      • Roland Tanglao
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 16, 2003
          Hi Jake:

          I was able to subscribe successfully using NetNewsWire but not Radio
          (latest updates, Windows2000).

          I get the following error message when trying to subscribe to a feed:

          [Macro error: Can't evaluate the expression because the name
          "channeltitle" hasn't been defined.]

          Interestingly enough, the exact same RSS url
          (http://roland%40rolandtanglao.com:password@...
          ogue.com/rolandtest22aug2003p7/xml/rss.xml)
          works with NetNewsWire.

          ...Roland
        • Lawrence Lee
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 16, 2003
            Is there any difference in the error message if you try to subscribe to the
            feed outside of the password protected folder?

            Lawrence

          • Roland Tanglao
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 16, 2003
              Hi Lawrence:

              I'm confused. Do you mean: Do I get an error message if I try to
              subscribe to non editors only sites on the same server?

              If so, yes I can subscribe to non editors only sites on the same server.

              ...Roland

              Lawrence Lee wrote:

              > Is there any difference in the error message if you try to subscribe to the
              > feed outside of the password protected folder?
              >
              > Lawrence

              ...Roland roland@...
              604 729 7924 RolandTanglao.com VanEats.com
              this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private
            • Jake Savin
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 16, 2003
                Hi Roland,

                Is that the actual URL, or is the user/password actually something
                else. If so, then I can do some testing from here. If not, would you
                mind sharing the login information with me off-list?

                Thanks,
                -Jake