Beta: Password-protected RSS feeds

  • Jake Savin
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 12, 2003
      We have a new feature for testing: Password-protected RSS feeds for
      Manila sites.

      Previously, there was no way to read RSS feeds for Editors Only Manila
      sites in an RSS news reader. This is because Manila uses a cookie for
      authenticating membership, and most (all?) news readers don't know
      anything about Manila's authentication system.

      This feature enables basic HTTP authentication for the RSS feeds in
      Editors Only Manila sites, so that any RSS news reader which supports
      subscribing to password-protected feeds can be used to read the RSS
      feeds in Editors Only Manila sites.

      *** How to test

      1. Download the following file, and import it using the Open command in
      Frontier's File menu:

      http://jake.userland.com/gems/manilaEditorsOnlyRss01.fttb

      2. In the table window that opens, there's a script named install. Run
      the script.

      3. Verify that HTTP authentication works with your Editors Only site's
      RSS feed:

      In a web browser, make sure you're *not* logged into the site.

      Next, enter the site's RSS URL into the browser's address bar. The
      browser should present you with a username/password dialog.

      Enter the email address and password that you use to log into your
      Manila site and click OK. You should see the RSS feed displayed in the
      browser.

      4. Send an email to the mail list, and let us know that it worked, or
      if it didn't, what happened.

      *** Subscribing to password-protected feeds

      Some RSS readers support the use of HTTP authentication for reading
      password-protected RSS feeds. Radio UserLand and NetNewsWire, for
      example, both do. In these RSS readers, the username and password are
      part of the URL used to subscribe to the password-protected RSS feed.

      To subscribe to a password-protected RSS feed in Radio UserLand or
      NetNewsWire, use the following format for the RSS URL:

      http://[username]:[password]@[domain]/[path]

      For example, if the RSS feed is here:

      http://www.example.com/xml/rss.xml

      ...and your username/password is me@..., and myPassw0rd, then
      use this URL to subscribe to the feed:

      http://me%40example.com:myPassw0rd@.../xml/rss.xml

      Note that the '@' character in the username must be replaced with %40
      (the URL encoding for the '@' character). This is important for Manila
      sites, since members use their email addresses as their logins, and
      email addresses contain '@' characters.

      Make sure that when using this URL format, that you replace the '@'
      character in your email address with %40.

      *** Notes

      This feature also works with the recently released discussion group RSS
      feeds. If your site's discussion group RSS feed is enabled, then you
      can use the same URL formatting to subscribe to the discussion group,
      that you use to subscribe to the site's home page.

      *** Feedback

      If you have any comments, questions or bugs to report, please send them
      as a reply to this message.

      Thanks,
      -Jake
    • Lawrence Lee
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 12, 2003
        I tested it here and it worked as expected.

        Lawrence

      • Roland Tanglao
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 15, 2003
          I tested the first part i.e. basic authentication of the feed and it
          worked. I can't test the 2nd part because our test server doesn't
          have a proper DNS entry.

          Looking forward to the release of this feature!

          Thanks Jake!

          ...Roland

        • Roland Tanglao
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 16, 2003
            Hi Jake:

            I was able to subscribe successfully using NetNewsWire but not Radio
            (latest updates, Windows2000).

            I get the following error message when trying to subscribe to a feed:

            [Macro error: Can't evaluate the expression because the name
            "channeltitle" hasn't been defined.]

            Interestingly enough, the exact same RSS url
            (http://roland%40rolandtanglao.com:password@...
            ogue.com/rolandtest22aug2003p7/xml/rss.xml)
            works with NetNewsWire.

            ...Roland
          • Lawrence Lee
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 16, 2003
              Is there any difference in the error message if you try to subscribe to the
              feed outside of the password protected folder?

              Lawrence

            • Roland Tanglao
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 16, 2003
                Hi Lawrence:

                I'm confused. Do you mean: Do I get an error message if I try to
                subscribe to non editors only sites on the same server?

                If so, yes I can subscribe to non editors only sites on the same server.

                ...Roland

                Lawrence Lee wrote:

                > Is there any difference in the error message if you try to subscribe to the
                > feed outside of the password protected folder?
                >
                > Lawrence

                ...Roland roland@...
                604 729 7924 RolandTanglao.com VanEats.com
                this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private
              • Jake Savin
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 16, 2003
                  Hi Roland,

                  Is that the actual URL, or is the user/password actually something
                  else. If so, then I can do some testing from here. If not, would you
                  mind sharing the login information with me off-list?

                  Thanks,
                  -Jake