"JSW: The 2010 Megamix" room names

  • jetsetdanny
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 25, 2010
      I have been progressing on "Jet Set Willy: The 2010 Megamix" with a view to release it this year. The hard version of the game is fast approaching its pre-beta stage.

      I would very much appreciate the comments of the native English speakers in the Group (and anyone else who feels competent) on any possible problems relating to the room names. Since I am afraid some people may not be willing to read the whole lot, I have grouped the names in several categories, starting with the ones where I feel your confirmation that everything is OK is most needed. In some cases comments in square brackets clarify the reason of the name's being what it is or why I'm not certain it is OK. In many cases the background of the room is given (it may or may not explain the room name; it's partly just for your information, to whip up your appetite for playing the game; when it says "a redesign", in most cases it's a "heavy redesign", a room in fact very different from the original, at least as far as gameplay is concerned). The numbers of the room names do not have any meaning here, they are pretty much random.

      A. Names on which I would like your confirmation that everything is OK, or constructively critical comments:

      00. The Arrival - Dyn Dan Style
      [the opening screen of the game features Willy on a zeppelin]

      01. Sheer Bliss: The Gaming Room!
      [the room in the house where Willy can play on his computer; there is no reference to gambling]

      02. The Well-Illuminated Inner Alley

      03. The Lair of the Diagonal Monster
      [the monster is not diagonal in shape, it moves diagonally]

      04. Ropeway to the Obserwatory
      [the room is the way you get to the Obserwatory and you have to use a rope to get there]

      05. Jet Set Scribbler
      [a tribute to "Manic Scribbler"]

      06. Scribbler Willy
      [a tribute to "Manic Scribbler"]

      07. Another Avian Assassin
      [a redesign of "In the Ground" (27) from JSWII for the BBC Micro, the room features a fourth fast-moving bird (in addition to the three in "The Killer Birds!)"]

      08. Seductively Scary Staircase I
      [similarly, II]

      09. The Broadian Rope Trick
      [a tribute to Andrew Broad's games, with the name paraphrasing "The Indian Rope Trick"; a redesign of "Loony Jet Set" (28) from JSWII for the BBC Micro]

      10. MiniMaze: A Study in Disjunction
      [brand new, using graphical elements from "The Big Job" (04) - Almost Out Now" (05) - "Where ARE you going ?" (06) - "The Big job" (07) sequence from "Willy's New Hat"; a very smartly designed room, if I may say so myself, where passages intersect but Willy can only follow either route, he cannot use the intersections to take the other route]

      11. The Amazing Macaroni Twins
      [a reference to "Macaroni Ted" from JSWII, featuring two Maraconi Ted guardians moving in unison]

      12. 1 Dumb Waiter & 2 Useless Lifts
      [an "extreme redesign" of "Dumb Waiter" (63) from JSWII for the BBC Micro]

      13. The Extended Belfry West
      [a redesign of "Belfry" (32) from JSWII for the BBC Micro; similarly, "The Extended Belfry East"]

      14. The Extended Belfry Tower
      [this rooms complements the two mentioned above]

      15. Brick Way to 3 Brick-Hard Rooms
      [a redesign of "Sewer Entrance" (36) from JSWII for the BBC Micro]

      16. The Seemingly Unfair Hold Road
      [a redesign of "Holt Road" (38) from JSWII for the BBC Micro]

      17. Mega Hill Goes for the Kill
      [a redesign of "Mega Hill" (37) from JSWII for the BBC Micro]

      18. Megaron: Making You Jumpy, Dear?
      [a redesign of "Megaron" (62) from JSWII for the BBC Micro, with confusing Fire-cells which can cause unexpected death]

      19. A Much-Depleted Buttler's Pantry
      [a redesign of "Butler's Pantry" (61) from JSWII for the BBC Micro, with just one item remaining]

      20. The Dragon User's Infernal Bonus
      [a very-difficult-to-play redesign of "The Dragon Users Bonus" (20) from "Manic Miner" for the Dragon]

      21. The BBC Wine Cellar Gone Berserk
      [a redesign of "The Wine Cellar" (67) from JSWII for the BBC Micro - can a cellar (a place) go berserk, or only a person? - if the name is not right, how can I change it to keep it similar?]

      22. Willy's Stunt #1: Rings of Fire
      [a redesign of "Willy's Lookout" (41) from JSWII for the BBC Micro; using the Superjump, Willy has to jump through something looking like rings of fire]

      23. Willy's Stunt #2: Spikestacks
      [a redesign of "Sky Blue Pink" (42) from JSWII for the BBC Micro - Willy has to jump over Fire-cells in the shape of stacks of spikes; I know the word "spikestack" doesn't exist, but is it acceptable? if not, suggestions for change?]

      24. Dumbbells in Distress
      [a redesign of "Potty Pot Plant" (43) from JSWII for the BBC Micro, featuring prominently the dumbbell guardians, the name plays with the expression "damsel in distress" of course]

      25. Craftily Created Creepy Crypt
      [a redesign of "Crypt" (45) from JSWII for the BBC Micro]

      26. Semi-automatic Beheading System
      [a redesign of "Decapitare" (46) from JSWII for the BBC Micro]

      27. The Infamous Garden of Doom
      [a redesign of "Garden" (64) from JSWII for the BBC Micro]

      28. U-Turn with a Twist
      [a brand new room where the player has to turn around and go back the way from which he came, at the upper level of the consecutive rooms rather than the lower one]

      29. Gearing Up for Going Down
      [a redesign of "Pit Gear On" (53) from JSWII for the BBC Micro]

      30. Frustratingly Frenetic UG Forest
      [a redesign of "Down T' Pit" (55) from JSWII for the BBC Micro; the "UG" here is meant to stand for "Underground"]

      31. Hellish Speedway
      [a redesign of "Highway to Hell" (48) from JSWII for the BBC Micro, with fast-moving guardians]

      32. An 'arrowing Burial in a Burrow?
      [a redesign of "In The Burrow" (14) from "Willy's New Hat", with 8 arrows and the name inspired partly by "An 'arrowing Experience" (53) from "Jet Set Willy Ivy"]

      33. The Dragon User's Sorry End
      [a redesign of "The End" (21) from "Manic Miner" for the Dragon]

      34. Maria's Pillage Bay
      [a redesign of "Wonga's Spillage Tray" (49) from JSWII for the BBC Micro, featuring prominently Maria-in-Space sprite]

      35. In China She'd Be a Taikonaut!
      [a redesign of "Maria in Space" (10) from JSWII for the BBC Micro]

      36. The Cagelike Catwalk
      [a redesign of one of my rooms from "JSW: The 2005 Megamix"]

      37. Problem Roping? Use Some Doping!
      [a redesign of "Copin' with Ropin'" (12) from "Willy's New Mansion"]

      38. Triumph of the Thrill
      [brand new, the name was inspired by a title I've seen in The Sydney Morning Herald (see: www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/triumph-of-the-thrill-20100106-luez.html), which probably paraphrases the title of the historic film "Triumph of the Will"]

      39. The Thrill of Triumph
      [brand new, a companion to the previous room both in the design and graphics and in the title]

      40. Bizarre Backdoor Beach
      [a redesign of "00" (00) from "JSW: Spectrum Computing"]

      41. Birdland
      [brand new, the room is in the clouds with only birds as guardians; I know it can be a reference to several things - see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birdland, but I leave it to the player to decide on any of these possible associations]

      42. Aberrant Airlock (Exit to Space)
      [a redesign of "Room No. 56." (56) from "Dr. Jet Set Willy"]

      43. Defective Suborbital Catwalk
      [a redesign of the rooms from "The Dilapidated Catwalk" series from "Willy's Hoard"]

      44. Willy's Anticipated Acceleration
      [room from the final sequence]

      45. Drama in Color: Guardian Table 1
      [similarly: 2, 3 and 4 - colourful, dramatically difficult rooms from the final sequence; for the Brits among you - I am sorry about the American spelling of "colour", but this is the only way it fits into the 32 characters at my disposal]

      46. Perverse Fun of the Final Run
      [room from the final sequence]

      47. Daring Erring with Arrows
      [a brand new room from the final sequence featuring an arrow challenge ]

      48. The Rightward Race Goes Diagonal
      [a brand new room from the final sequence, it has a little diagonal touch to it]

      49. Recurring Rope Restlessness
      [a brand new room from the final sequence featuring a rope challenge]

      50. The Most Fateful of All Choices!
      [a brand new room from the final sequence where the player has to make an important decision]

      51. Shit! This Is the Wrong Ending!
      [room from the final sequence; is it better to say "the wrong ending" or "a wrong ending"? (there is only one wrong ending in the game, although when the player arrives at it, he may not know that there is one one]

      B. Names which I think are OK, but a confirmation of it would be nice:

      52. Impassable? Impossible!
      [a room which at first glance seems impossible to pass]

      53. Singin' in the April Rain
      [a redesign of "April Showers"]

      54. April Showers - Still Raining
      [a redesign of "April Showers"]

      55. Highly Problematic Side Corridor

      56. Transportation Module Entrance

      57. The Mysterious Launching Pad # 1
      [similarly, 2 and 3]

      58. TP Module: Landing Pads
      [TP is meant to stand for Teleportation or Teleporter]

      59. TP to 1996 Speccy Scene
      [a part of the game are rooms from Paul Equinox Collins's unfinished "JSW 96 Remix", which are references to people on the ZX Spectrum scene back in 1996]

      60. TP Module: Control Room

      61. TP Module: Access Corridor

      62. TP Module: Liquid Fuel Tank

      63. TP to the Land of Great Hardship
      [teleporter to the most difficult part of the game]

      64. ** The Land of Great Hardship **
      [a redesign of "Teleport" (23) from JSWII for the BBC Micro - the arrival room for the most difficult part of the game]

      65. Astral Attack
      [a redesign of "Galactic Invasion" (24) from JSWII for the BBC Micro]

      66. A Hell of a Hill
      [a redesign of "Incredible" (25) from JSWII for the BBC Micro]

      67. The Killer Birds!
      [a redesign of "Hole" (25) from JSWII for the BBC Micro - tribute to Matthew Gordon's online Flash Manic - see: www.darnkitty.com]

      68. The Inlet
      [a redesign of "The Outlet" (33) from JSWII for the BBC Micro; the player actually enters a sequence of rooms here rather than exits it]

      69. A Drain Full of Pain
      [a redesign of "In the Drains" (34) from JSWII for the BBC Micro]

      70. Another Nasty Passageway
      [a redesign of "Nasties" (35) from JSWII for the BBC Micro]

      71. The Downstairs Nightmare
      [a redesign of "Downstairs" (39) from JSWII for the BBC Micro]

      72. Warm-up Before the Stunts
      [a redesign of "Trip Switch" (40) from JSWII for the BBC Micro, leading to the two Stunts rooms mentioned above]

      73. Mr Cheops Would Have Loved This!
      [a redesign of "Seedy Hole" (51) from JSWII for the BBC Micro, featuring a pyramid]

      74. Camel Trophy
      [a redesign of "The Zoo" (52) from JSWII for the BBC Micro, featuring the camel sprites prominently; the name is a reference to the Camel Trophy race - see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel_Trophy%5d

      75. Homo erectus
      [a brand new room featuring a huge statue of Willy]

      76. The Rogues' Gallery
      [a brand new room featuring a very interesting effect of guardians being displayed permanently on top of the screen]

      77. Eeerily Familiar... Plinth,Is It?
      [a redesign of "Plinth" (32) from "Join The Jet-Set!"]

      78. Edge of Elsewhere
      [a brand new room; the name was inspired by an Australian art project - see: www.sydneyfestival.org.au/2010/Free/Edge-of-Elsewhere-Campbelltown/]

      79. Willy's Oversized Bird Bath
      [a redesign of "Willy's Bird Bath" (50) from JSWII for the BBC Micro]

      80. Four Friendly Flyers
      [a brand new room featuring four birds which actually HELP Willy pass it!]

      81. Return to Lórien?
      [new room, a tribute to Andrew Broad's games, combining ideas from "In The Tree-tops" (32) from "Willy's New Hat" and "Farewell to Lórien" (21) from "JSW: The Lord of the Rings" and graphics from the room "Invasion of the Daleks!" (03) from John Equinox Collins's "JSW 96 Remix", also included in "JSW: The 2010 Megamix" (67)]

      82. Nodes of Yesod,Is It? Or Jetpac?
      [a brand new room from the final sequence, featuring graphics reminiscent (to me, at least) of these two games]

      C. Names which I believe are OK (please correct me if I'm wrong):

      83. A Mysterious Villa
      [a redesign of "The Villa" (29) from "JSW: Spectrum Computing"]

      84. Inside the Villa
      [brand new, with graphics from "A Mysterious Villa"]

      85. Where the Money Bags Used to Be
      [a redesign of "Money Bags" (47) from JSWII for the BBC Micro]

      86. So Where's That Rat Gone?
      [a redesign of "In T'rat Hole" (54) from JSWII for the BBC Micro]

      87. The Crossroads
      [a redesign of "Garden Path" (35) from "Willy's New Hat"]

      88. In the Outer Space
      [a redesign of "Outer Space" (15) from "Willy's New Hat"]

      89. Landing on Planet Reehmah
      [brand new, using my mountain graphics from the final sequence of "JSW: Mind Control"]

      90. The Jungle of Planet Reehmah
      [a redesign of "In The Deepest Jungle" (03) from "Willy's New Hat"]

      91. The Upper Parts of the Jungle
      [brand new, using graphics from "The Miniature Sherwood Forest" (17) from "JSW: The Continuing Adventures SE"]

      92. Outskirts of the Jungle
      [brand new, using graphics from "Outskirts Of The Forest" (18) from "JSW: The Continuing Adventures SE"]

      93. If You're Going to Alcatraz, Be
      [a redesign of "Banned" (11) from JSWII for the BBC Micro]

      94. Sure to Wear Some Flowers in…
      [a redesign of "Flower Power Source" (12) from JSWII for the BBC Micro; these two room names make a refence to Scott McKenzie's song "If You're Going to San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Some Flowers in Your Hair)", particularly appropriate since the player is heading towards...Alcatraz :-) ]

      95. The Second Escape from Alcatraz
      [a redesign of "Escape From Alcatraz" (09) from "Willy's New Hat"]

      96. Willy on the Run
      [brand new, drawing on graphical elements from "The Second Escape from Alcatraz"; a reference to "Monty on the Run", of course]

      97. Cloud Ninety-nine
      [a redesign of "Cloud Nine" (13) from "Willy's New Hat"]

      98. Another Leafy Glade in the Sky
      [a redesign of "A Leafy Glade in the Sky" from "Jet Emily: Baby on the Go" (13 in the 2002 Original Edition and 2004 Special Edition and 46 in the 2006 Final Edition)]

      99. Nearer, My Emulator, to Thee…
      [paraphrasing an old religious song]

      100. Entrance to the Gaming Room
      [if the name Gaming Room is OK, this one is OK too]

      101. Return Teleporter Won't Work!!!

      102. DON'T Go Down!!!

      103. I Told You Not to Go Down…

      104. ...the Eurotunnel's on Fire!!!

      105. First Landing

      106. Second Landing

      107. Left - To Work Right - To Have Fun
      [instead of hyphens, there are arrows pointing in the right direction]

      108. The Bar

      109. Below the Ludicrous Room

      110. Snatch the Disk and Get Out!

      111. In the Hall of the Drain Monster

      112. The Forgotten Top-Secret Passage

      113. Below the Bathroom

      114. Entrance to the Sewer

      115. The Reservoir

      116. A Mysterious Cavern

      117. Towards the Cave

      118. Under the Cave Mouth

      119. Road to the Inaccessible Castle

      120. A Glimpse of the Castle

      121. A Secret Passage in the Clouds

      122. I Look at Clouds from Both Sides
      [a reference to the lyrics of the song "Both Sides Now"]

      123. Tricky Visible Platforms
      [a redesigned room from "JSW 96 Remix" originally known as "Tricky Invisible Platforms"]

      124. Above the Quirky Stairway

      125. I'm Getting Desufnoc
      [the room leading to "moor gnisufnoC rehtaR A"]

      126. Entrance to the CGA Rooms
      [what does CGA actually stand for???]

      127. Another MegaTree?

      128. The Quirky Stairway

      129. Down - Transport Right - Research
      [instead of hyphens, there are arrows pointing in the right direction]

      130. Above the Reactor Plant

      131. Entrance to the Vault

      132. The Deepest Dungeon

      133. Among the Branches

      134. In the Freezer!!!

      135. Behind the Pub

      136. Below Mysterious Launching Pad 1
      [similarly, 2 and 3]

      137. A Visit to "JSW: Mind Control"

      138. Jet Set Willy's 25th Birthday

      139. Return Teleporter

      140. Teleporter to the Final Run

      141. Sendy's Famous Parabolic Version
      [room from the final sequence - a redesign of "Famous pArAb0liC vErsION" (119) from "strangel"]

      142. Sendy's Breathing Void
      [room from the final sequence - a redesign of "this void breathes!" (126) from "strangel"]

      143. Sendy's Red Ramp Romp Room
      [room from the final sequence - a redesign of "red ramp romp room" (120) from "strangel"]

      144. Sendy's Windswept
      [room from the final sequence, a redesign of "windswept" (128) from "strangel"]

      145. Trapped by the Ropes?
      [a brand new room from the final sequence featuring a rope challenge]

      146. Sendy's Leafy Lane Revisited
      [room from the final sequence, a redesign of "leafy LANE" (48) from "strangel"]

      147. -The Wrong Way - The Right Way
      [room from the final sequence; instead of hyphens, there are arrows pointing in the right direction]

      148. It's Not Over Yet!
      [room from the final sequence]

      149. The Final Frontier
      [room from the final sequence]

      150. It's Over! TP Back to the House
      [room from the final sequence]

      151. You've Gone the Wrong Way!
      [room from the final sequence]

      152. Branches You Don't Want to See!
      [room from the final sequence]

      D. Names which I do not plan on changing because they come from rooms designed by other authors (I've only changed the capitalization of some words in some cases):

      153. Treacherous Cavern
      [a redesign of "Treacherous Cavern" (17) from "Willy's New Hat"]

      154. Woodhouse, Sheffield

      155. Alchemist Research HQ

      156. The AlchNews Writers

      157. The Chic Computer Club

      158. Above the Chic Computer Club

      159. Miles Kinloch's Flat

      160. The Rooftop Chase

      161. Impact PD Duplication Plant

      162. The Apple Factory

      163. Extacy-3 United Minds

      164. Carl & Mike, the Emulator Users!

      165. Spectrum UK: Keep the Faith!

      166. The Least Lazy Speccy Demo Group

      167. Rip-off PD, B----n, R---y

      168. Steal the Software!

      169. speccy_games@...

      170. <<<< Europe Sheffield >>>>

      171. La lettre du Spectrumaniac,Paris

      172. The Eiffel Tower

      173. Aaargh! Format's Sam Coupe Fair!

      174. The International ZX81 Club!

      175. Womo PD, Deutschland

      176. Busy Soft, Czechoslovakia

      177. Chezron Software

      178. << Quidgeley Turn Back NOW!

      179. Alchemist Research Continental

      180. Entrance to the Eurotunnel

      181. No! Not the USR 0 Lines!

      182. Dave's Hardcore Room

      183. Behind the Bar

      184. Where the Chapel Should Be

      185. The Guest Room

      186. The Games Room

      187. Hall of Mirrors

      188. The Tribble Hutch

      189. The Pub

      190. In the Fridge!

      191. An Indoor Car Boot Sale?

      192. The All New Swimming Pool

      193. The Room Without a Name

      194. The Playroom

      195. The Ludicrous Room

      196. My Bathroom

      197. Down at the Fountain

      198. The Drain

      199. Willy's Swing

      200. Dr. Who Will Never Believe This!

      201. Space Invaders!

      202. Aaiiieeeeee!!

      203. Invasion of the Daleks!

      204. Inside the Tardis

      205. Zaphod Says: DON'T PANIC

      206. Buried Treasure >>>>>>

      207. The Meteor Storm

      208. The Final Barrier

      209. The Plumbing

      210. The Sewer

      211. Light at the End of the Tunnel?

      212. In the Well

      213. The Cave Mouth

      214. The Cave

      215. The Back Way into…

      216. April Showers

      217. The Moat

      218. The Unusual Room

      219. The Garden

      220. mooR gnisufnoC rehtaR A

      221. The CGA Room

      222. The Other CGA Room

      223. The Observatory

      224. The Laboratory

      225. The Reactor Plant

      226. The Reactor Core

      227. Entrance to the Seal Chamber

      228. The Seal Chamber

      229. The Old Mine Workings

      230. The Basement

      231. Dungeon

      232. The Vault

      233. Secret Passage

      234. The Smugglers' Cave

      235. Fallout Shelter

      236. The Little Room

      237. Ethel the Aardvark

      238. Rocket Room

      There are 256 rooms altogether, and the player has to pass through 248 of them to complete the game successfully (the other 8 are the "wrong way" rooms of the final sequence leading to the wrong ending). Contrary to "JSW: The 2005 Megamix", there are no "trap rooms" in the game.

      Thank you for any comments you may have on the room names, which will certainly serve to improve "Jet Set Willy: The 2010 Megamix"!

      Daniel
    • andrewbroad
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 25, 2010
        jetsetdanny wrote:

        > 04. Ropeway to the Obserwatory

        "Observatory"

        > 16. The Seemingly Unfair Hold Road

        "Holt"

        > 19. A Much-Depleted Buttler's Pantry

        "Butler's"

        > 45. Drama in Color: Guardian Table 1
        > [similarly: 2, 3 and 4 - colourful, dramatically difficult rooms
        > from the final sequence; for the Brits among you - I am sorry about
        > the American spelling of "colour", but this is the only way it fits
        > into the 32 characters at my disposal]

        I too am sorry about the American spelling of "colour". I'd prefer to lose one of the spaces, e.g. "Drama in Colour: GuardianTable 1" (Pascal case is common in computer-programming, and it's easy to imagine an object called GuardianTable in a JSW-related program).

        I'm reminded of the issue that I had with "Out of the Frying-Pan into the Fire" in Manic Miner: The Hobbit. Due to the 32-character limit and my decision to left-justify the room-names in that particular game, it came out as "Out of the Frying-Pan into the F", and I chose to leave it as such, rather than rewrite it to the hideously American "Out the Frying-Pan into the Fire".

        > 51. S***! This Is the Wrong Ending!
        > [room from the final sequence; is it better to say "the wrong
        > ending" or "a wrong ending"? (there is only one wrong ending in the
        > game, although when the player arrives at it, he may not know that
        > there is one one]

        "the Wrong Ending" sounds more natural (although if there were any possibility of there being more than one, it would have to be "a Wrong Ending"). Also, the definite article leaves the player with a better impression about the fairness of the game, as it assures him/her that there is only one wrong ending.

        > B. Names which I think are OK, but a confirmation of it would be
        > nice:
        >
        > 56. Transportation Module Entrance

        Personally, I would never write three nouns in a row without inserting a hyphen to disambiguate which pair binds tighter: in this case, I would write "Transportation-Module Entrance".

        Unless, of course, I decided to omit the hyphen – and hence leave the ambiguity in – for artistic reasons. Sometimes, it's fun to leave things open to personal interpretation.

        > 57. The Mysterious Launching Pad # 1
        > [similarly, 2 and 3]

        I wouldn't put a space between '#' and '1'.

        I personally avoid using '#' as a number-sign in MM/JSW writing, because of my decision to use '#' as a prefix for hexadecimal numbers. So I use "No." instead of '#' (the Wikipedia Manual of Style agrees with me on this, albeit not for the same reason). However, in this case, replacing "# " with "No." would make the room-name longer than 32 characters, so it seems that you're stuck with '#' (unless you drop the "# " for consistency with Room 136).

        > 62. TP Module: Liquid Fuel Tank

        I would write "Liquid-Fuel Tank" (cf. 56).

        > 73. Mr Cheops Would Have Loved This!

        The Americans say that you should write "Mr.", because it is an abbreviation. The Britons say that you should write "Mr", because the abbreviation includes the last letter of the word. In this case, I agree with the Americans (because IMO it looks better with the full stop, and also for consistency with Room 200). Unfortunately, as with "Dr Jones will never believe this", inserting a full stop would make the room-name 33 characters long.

        > 75. Homo erectus

        I think it should be "Erectus", since almost all the other room-names are in title-case.

        > 77. Eeerily Familiar... Plinth,Is It?

        "Eerily" (I assume that the extra 'e' isn't in the actual room-name, as that would make it 33 characters long).

        > 97. Cloud Ninety-nine

        "Ninety-Nine"

        > 125. I'm Getting Desufnoc
        > [the room leading to "moor gnisufnoC rehtaR A"]

        I would write "desufnoC", to be consistent with the style of the room to which it leads.

        > 126. Entrance to the CGA Rooms
        > [what does CGA actually stand for???]

        Colo[u]r/Graphics Adapter

        > 171. La lettre du Spectrumaniac,Paris

        I think it should be "Lettre", since almost all the other room-names are in title-case.

        > 173. Aaargh! Format's Sam Coupe Fair!

        "SAM Coupé"

        > 191. An Indoor Car Boot Sale?

        I would write "Car-Boot Sale" (cf. 56).

        > 192. The All New Swimming Pool

        "All-New"

        --
        Dr. Andrew Broad
        http://abroad.sqweebs.org/spectrum/mmjsw/

        P.S. My website is back online, with a slightly different domain-name (Sqweebs changed "com" to "org").
      • Roger
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 26, 2010
          Andrew seems to have covered most of it, but here are a few that I spotted. Not many, they're mostly fine.

          15 Brick Way to 3 Brick-Hard Rooms.
          I didn't understand this one at first and had to read it several times. If it means that it leads to 3 rooms which are difficult to do and therefore might be said to be as hard as a brick then it's ok.

          21 The BBC Wine Cellar Gone Berserk.
          Berserk comes from Berserker which is defined as a fierce Norse Warrior who fought with frenetic violence. I would therefore take this to be only applicable to a person. My alternative suggestion would be "Awry" which means amiss or wrong.

          24 Dumbbells in Distress.
          This should be Dumb-bells.

          30 Frustratingly Frenetic UG Forest.
          I personally don't like this as I didn't realise you meant Underground until I read your explanation. In the game itself I would just have remained mystified. As there isn't room to write it in full, I wonder if it's actually necessary to mention Underground at all? If you don't it leaves a nice example of alliteration with all F's.

          Cheers. I'm looking forward to the game.
          Roger North

          --- In manicminerandjetsetwilly@yahoogroups.com, "jetsetdanny" <jetsetdanny@...> wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > 227. Entrance to the Seal Chamber
          >
          > 228. The Seal Chamber
          >
          > 229. The Old Mine Workings
          >
          > 230. The Basement
          >
          > 231. Dungeon
          >
          > 232. The Vault
          >
          > 233. Secret Passage
          >
          > 234. The Smugglers' Cave
          >
          > 235. Fallout Shelter
          >
          > 236. The Little Room
          >
          > 237. Ethel the Aardvark
          >
          > 238. Rocket Room
          >

          > There are 256 rooms altogether, and the player has to pass through 248 of them to complete the game successfully (the other 8 are the "wrong way" rooms of the final sequence leading to the wrong ending). Contrary to "JSW: The 2005 Megamix", there are no "trap rooms" in the game.
          >
          > Thank you for any comments you may have on the room names, which will certainly serve to improve "Jet Set Willy: The 2010 Megamix"!

        • J.G.Harston
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 26, 2010
            andrewbroad wrote:
            > > 45. Drama in Color: Guardian Table 1
            >
            > I too am sorry about the American spelling of "colour". I'd prefer to lose
            > one of the spaces, e.g. "Drama in Colour: GuardianTable 1" (Pascal case is

            I'd be happy with that.

            > > 56. Transportation Module Entrance
            >
            > Personally, I would never write three nouns in a row without inserting a
            > hyphen to disambiguate which pair binds tighter: in this case, I would write
            > "Transportation-Module Entrance".

            No, "Transportation Module Entrance". Hyphenate if the first word
            is adverbially modifying the second word as a verb in the past
            tense.

            Steam-powered radio. Carbon-filled nanotubes. Gold-pressed Latinum.

            > > 62. TP Module: Liquid Fuel Tank
            >
            > I would write "Liquid-Fuel Tank" (cf. 56).

            No, you hyphenate when using a noun to adverbify an adverbial verb
            - ie a past tense verb. "Fuel", if a verb, is present tense not
            past tense. It's either "Liquid-Fuelled" or "Liquid Fuel". In this
            instance, it's "Liquid Fuel Tank", as it's a tank that contains
            fuel in its liquid form. "Liquid-Fuelled Tank" would be a tank
            that's fuelled (ie, powered) by liquid.

            > > 73. Mr Cheops Would Have Loved This!
            >
            > The Americans say that you should write "Mr.", because it is an
            > abbreviation. The Britons say that you should write "Mr", because the abbreviation
            > includes the last letter of the word. In this case, I agree with the

            Ditto, and consistancy. Cllr Smith. Mr Jones. Dr Who.

            > > 75. Homo erectus
            > I think it should be "Erectus", since almost all the other room-names are
            > in title-case.

            Except it's a scientific name, first part is init-caps, second part
            is init-lowercase. "We sampled Brassica oleracea, Agaricus avensis
            and Solanum tuborosum."

            > > 171. La lettre du Spectrumaniac,Paris
            > I think it should be "Lettre", since almost all the other room-names are
            > in title-case.

            and if you make it "Lettre du Spectrumania, Paris" you get your
            punctuation back.

            > > 191. An Indoor Car Boot Sale?
            >
            > I would write "Car-Boot Sale" (cf. 56).

            Car Boot Sale. Or are you selling car boots?

            > > 192. The All New Swimming Pool
            >
            > "All-New"

            Agreed.

            --
            J.G.Harston - jgh@... - mdfs.net/jgh
            Any references to any person living or dead, or in charge of the
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 26, 2010
              jetsetdanny wrote:
              > 12. 1 Dumb Waiter & 2 Useless Lifts
              > [an "extreme redesign" of "Dumb Waiter" (63) from JSWII for the BBC Micro]

              Stylistically, that should be: One Dumb Waiter and Two Useless Lifts
              but that's 37 characters.

              > 13. The Extended Belfry West
              > [a redesign of "Belfry" (32) from JSWII for the BBC Micro; similarly, "The
              > Extended Belfry East"]

              I'd say: Extended Belfry West

              > 14. The Extended Belfry Tower
              > [this rooms complements the two mentioned above]=20

              I'd say: Extended Belfry Tower

              > 15. Brick Way to 3 Brick-Hard Rooms
              > [a redesign of "Sewer Entrance" (36) from JSWII for the BBC Micro]

              Again, better English writing style would be "...three...", but
              that wouldn't fit in 32 characters.

              Using numbers instead of words really makes writing look amateurish
              and badly thought out, unless ur trying 2 mock the txt generation.

              > 22. Willy's Stunt #1: Rings of Fire
              > 23. Willy's Stunt #2: Spikestacks

              Correct stylistic use of numbers instead of words.

              > 25. Craftily Created Creepy Crypt
              > [a redesign of "Crypt" (45) from JSWII for the BBC Micro]

              I'd write it as: Craftily-Created Creepy Crypt
              Otherwise, you're saying that a person called Craftily created a
              crypt, said crypt being a creepy crypt.

              > 26. Semi-automatic Beheading System

              Semi-automatic? Semiautomatic? My Collins Gem says Semiautomatic.

              > 36. The Cagelike Catwalk

              Cage-like. (cat-like, panther-like, star-like, etc.)

              > 38. Triumph of the Thrill

              LOL!

              > 39. The Thrill of Triumph

              Vrooom!!! ;)

              > 45. Drama in Color: Guardian Table 1

              >PRINT LEN "Drama in Colour: Guardian Table 1"
              33
              >REM Grrrr

              > 57. The Mysterious Launching Pad # 1

              ...Pad #1

              > 58. TP Module: Landing Pads
              > [TP is meant to stand for Teleportation or Teleporter]

              Urrhh!!! I need TP for my Bunghole..... ;)

              > 77. Eeerily Familiar... Plinth,Is It?

              Drop one '.' and it fits properly: "Eerily Familiar.. Plinth, Is It?"

              > 82. Nodes of Yesod,Is It? Or Jetpac?

              If you are forced to remove spaces from punctuation, change what
              you're trying to write. Again, it makes it look like the person
              writing it hasn't managed to get out of Infant School.
              Try: "Nodes of Yesod...? Or Jetpac?"

              > 97. Cloud Ninety-nine

              >LOAD "%.BLib.IntToTxt"
              >PRINT FNIntToTxt(99)
              ninety-nine
              >REM Oh, ok then.

              > 126. Entrance to the CGA Rooms
              > [what does CGA actually stand for???]

              Compressed Gas Association ;)

              > 147. -The Wrong Way - The Right Way
              > [room from the final sequence; instead of hyphens, there are arrows
              > pointing in the right direction]

              Either have *both* arrows with a space seperating them from the words, or
              *both* with no space seperating them from the words.

              > 154. Woodhouse, Sheffield

              Horrendous traffic scheme just been implemented there.

              --
              J.G.Harston - jgh@... - mdfs.net/jgh
              The most perfect world is an imperfect world as the imperfections
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 27, 2010
                Thank you so much for all your replies! It is really thrilling to receive such quick and detailed comments.

                Let me get back on some of the names you have pointed to with some additional info and questions:

                01.
                --- In manicminerandjetsetwilly@yahoogroups.com, andrewbroad <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > I too am sorry about the American spelling of "colour". I'd prefer to lose one of the spaces, e.g. "Drama in Colour: GuardianTable 1" (Pascal case is common in computer-programming, and it's easy to imagine an object called GuardianTable in a JSW-related program).

                I might implement this if some of you feel so strongly about the American spelling. I'll have to think about it.

                02.
                --- In manicminerandjetsetwilly@yahoogroups.com, andrewbroad <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > I personally avoid using '#' as a number-sign in MM/JSW writing, because of my decision to use '#' as a prefix for hexadecimal numbers. So I use "No." instead of '#' (the Wikipedia Manual of Style agrees with me on this, albeit not for the same reason). However, in this case, replacing "# " with "No." would make the room-name longer than 32 characters, so it seems that you're stuck with '#' (unless you drop the "# " for consistency with Room 136).

                After your comments I am inclined to change the name to:
                "Mysterious Launching Pad No.1"
                However, should it be:
                "No.1" or "No. 1"?

                03.
                --- In manicminerandjetsetwilly@yahoogroups.com, andrewbroad <no_reply@...> wrote:

                75. Homo erectus

                > I think it should be "Erectus", since almost all the other room-names are in title-case.

                My personal rule is: non-English names should be capitalised according to the rules of the language they are in.

                "Homo erectus" is Latin. I believe in Latin only the first word of a proper name / title is capitalised.

                Similarly, in "La lettre du Spectrumaniac,Paris" the "l" in the word "lettre" is lower-case, because in French only the first word of the title is capitalised (apart from words which are proper names or capitalised for other reasons, of course).

                --- In manicminerandjetsetwilly@yahoogroups.com, J.G.Harston <jgh@...> wrote:

                > > 171. La lettre du Spectrumaniac,Paris
                > I think it should be "Lettre", since almost all the other room-names are
                > in title-case.

                and if you make it "Lettre du Spectrumania, Paris" you get your
                punctuation back.

                I have just explained the reason for "l" instead of "L" in "lettre" above.
                Now, this is a room designed by Paul Equinox Collins. Personally I wouldn't mind changing it to "Lettre du Spectrumaniac, Paris", but I do not want my interference with Paul's room names to go beyond changes in capitalisation of some words (which I introduced for the sake of consistence).
                Another thing is that in Romance languages the articles are not dropped from titles as easily as in English. So maybe it's a good thing it is there.
                Paul, if you are following this, could you please advise?

                04.
                --- In manicminerandjetsetwilly@yahoogroups.com, andrewbroad <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > > 97. Cloud Ninety-nine
                >
                > "Ninety-Nine"

                Before asking you for help, I tried to make the names as perfect as possible myself, by reading various materials on the Web concerning proper spelling rules in English and looking for examples. From what I could find, the spelling of compound numbers in titles should be like I have done: first digit capitalised, the other digit after the hyphen in lower case.
                If you can quote (point to) any rules or convincing examples to the contrary, please do so.

                --- In manicminerandjetsetwilly@yahoogroups.com, J.G.Harston <jgh@...> wrote:

                > > 97. Cloud Ninety-nine
                >
                > >LOAD "%.BLib.IntToTxt"
                > >PRINT FNIntToTxt(99)
                > ninety-nine
                > >REM Oh, ok then.

                Sorry, I don't get it. Are you supporting Andrew in his bid for change to "Ninety-Nine" or not?

                05.
                --- In manicminerandjetsetwilly@yahoogroups.com, andrewbroad <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > > [the room leading to "moor gnisufnoC rehtaR A"]
                >
                > I would write "desufnoC", to be consistent with the style of the room to which it leads.

                Great point, of course it should be "desufnoC".

                06.
                --- In manicminerandjetsetwilly@yahoogroups.com, andrewbroad <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > > 173. Aaargh! Format's Sam Coupe Fair!
                >
                > "SAM Coupé"

                I may change this, although it will require another interference with Paul E. Collins's original room name. However, Paul's rooms in "JSW 96 Remix" were in the JSW48 game engine, where changing the font is not so easy (although it can be done, as Andrew demonstrated in JSW: LOTR"). So Paul may have wanted to make it "Coupé", but couldn't.
                I may change it, if I can find a spare font character. You see, most of them have been used for... something else (let me leave a little mystery here for the time being :-) ).

                07.
                --- In manicminerandjetsetwilly@yahoogroups.com, andrewbroad <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > > 192. The All New Swimming Pool
                >
                > "All-New"

                I was on the verge of changing the name already, but respect for Paul's original name has stopped me (since apparently a lot of people write "All New", judging by a Google search).
                Perhaps I will reconsider and add the hyphen. Paul won't mind, will you, Paul, if you happen to read these messages?

                08.
                --- In manicminerandjetsetwilly@yahoogroups.com, andrewbroad <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > P.S. My website is back online, with a slightly different domain-name (Sqweebs changed "com" to "org").

                Great! The next big event will be the update of your list of MM/JSW games (after the release of "The 2010 Megamix" towards the end of the year :-) ).

                09.
                --- In manicminerandjetsetwilly@yahoogroups.com, "Roger" <jsw1984@...> wrote:

                > 15 Brick Way to 3 Brick-Hard Rooms.
                > I didn't understand this one at first and had to read it several times. If it means that it leads to 3 rooms which are difficult to do and therefore might be said to be as hard as a brick then it's ok.

                Intriguingly, I made up this room name because of something Andrew has written! He uses the adjective "brick-hard" (hyphenated, of course, referring to rooms and meaning - IIUC - "very difficult" or "extremely difficult") five or six times in his text file accompanying "Party Willy". This inspired me to attempt the pun with "brick way" (you can see it in the room design, the room looks like it is made of bricks) leading to "brick-hard" rooms.

                Perhaps the number here is misleading and unnecessary, especially that it cannot be spelled as a full word.

                So I think I will change the name to:

                "Brick Road to Brick-Hard Rooms"

                How about that, Roger and everyone else?

                10.
                --- In manicminerandjetsetwilly@yahoogroups.com, "Roger" <jsw1984@...> wrote:

                > 21 The BBC Wine Cellar Gone Berserk.
                > Berserk comes from Berserker which is defined as a fierce Norse Warrior who fought with frenetic violence. I would therefore take this to be only applicable to a person. My alternative suggestion would be "Awry" which means amiss or wrong.

                That's what I was afraid of, although e.g. if you google "room went berserk", you see quite a number of instances of such usage. Now, I understand it really refers to the people in that room. This does not help much.

                "Awry" does not seem strong enough - it's a very difficult room, as you will soon see - the guardians are very violent, just like Berserker :-) .
                So what other nice adjective can I use which can be used without any doubt for a room (cellar)? "Crazy" perhaps? "Mad"?
                Other ideas?

                11.
                --- In manicminerandjetsetwilly@yahoogroups.com, "Roger" <jsw1984@...> wrote:

                > 24 Dumbbells in Distress.
                > This should be Dumb-bells.

                Not according e.g. to the online Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary, which I like a lot: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/search/british/?q=dumbbell&x=48&y=3

                If there are two possible spellings, I prefer to spell "dumbbell" as one word to make it more similar to "damsel".

                12.
                --- In manicminerandjetsetwilly@yahoogroups.com, "Roger" <jsw1984@...> wrote:

                > 30 Frustratingly Frenetic UG Forest.
                > I personally don't like this as I didn't realise you meant Underground until I read your explanation. In the game itself I would just have remained mystified. As there isn't room to write it in full, I wonder if it's actually necessary to mention Underground at all? If you don't it leaves a nice example of alliteration with all F's.

                It shall be done as you suggest. I was never 100% happy with the UG part anyway.

                13.
                --- In manicminerandjetsetwilly@yahoogroups.com, J.G.Harston <jgh@...> wrote:

                > > 77. Eeerily Familiar... Plinth,Is It?
                >
                > Drop one '.' and it fits properly: "Eerily Familiar.. Plinth, Is It?"

                Good suggestion. Applied it has been.

                14.
                --- In manicminerandjetsetwilly@yahoogroups.com, J.G.Harston <jgh@...> wrote:

                > > 82. Nodes of Yesod,Is It? Or Jetpac?
                >
                > If you are forced to remove spaces from punctuation, change what
                > you're trying to write. Again, it makes it look like the person
                > writing it hasn't managed to get out of Infant School.
                > Try: "Nodes of Yesod...? Or Jetpac?"

                Another suggestion I like. I have changed it to what you have suggested, with a double space between the first "?" and "Or", to distribute the name more nicely (evenly) in the 32-character space.

                15.
                --- In manicminerandjetsetwilly@yahoogroups.com, J.G.Harston <jgh@...> wrote:

                > > 147. -The Wrong Way - The Right Way
                > > [room from the final sequence; instead of hyphens, there are arrows
                > > pointing in the right direction]
                >
                > Either have *both* arrows with a space seperating them from the words, or
                > *both* with no space seperating them from the words.

                Absolutely. In fact, there are no spaces in the room name between the words and the arrows, but I misspelled it when writing my message.
                Similarly, some of the other problems which have been pointed out (like "obserwatory" or "Hold") have only appeared in my message (in the game the names are OK) - but thanks to you all for pointing them out anyway!

                16.
                --- In manicminerandjetsetwilly@yahoogroups.com, J.G.Harston <jgh@...> wrote:

                > > 36. The Cagelike Catwalk
                >
                > Cage-like. (cat-like, panther-like, star-like, etc.)

                Does it have to be hyphenated? A Google seach of this word reveals quite a number of instances, in scientific texts mainly, where it is spelled "cagelike" (while, admittedly, statistically hyphenation seems to be more common).
                But if there are two possibilities of spelling it, I would go for spelling it as one word. Any further comments on this one?

                17.
                --- In manicminerandjetsetwilly@yahoogroups.com, J.G.Harston <jgh@...> wrote:

                > > 25. Craftily Created Creepy Crypt
                > > [a redesign of "Crypt" (45) from JSWII for the BBC Micro]
                >
                > I'd write it as: Craftily-Created Creepy Crypt
                > Otherwise, you're saying that a person called Craftily created a
                > crypt, said crypt being a creepy crypt.

                When I did my internet research, much to my suprise (I had been convinced otherwise before) I learnt that a definitive majority of manuals recommend NOT using hyphen between adverbs and the adjectives which follow them if the adverb ends in -ly.

                This is what Wikipedia says, for instance:

                "Hyphens should normally not be used in adverb–adjective modifiers such as wholly owned subsidiary and quickly moving vehicle, because the adverbs clearly modify the adjectives; "quickly" cannot modify "vehicle". However, if the adverb can also function as an adjective, then a hyphen may be used for clarity."

                And a tip from another part of Wikipedia:

                "TIP: don't use a hyphen between an adverb ending in -ly and a linked adjective, even when they come before the noun:

                Many schools offer summer supply teaching to newly appointed staff.
                We can offer highly competitive rates to benefit your business."

                I think that it is unlikely that a person should be called "Craftily", so I am inclined to omit the hyphen here.

                18.
                --- In manicminerandjetsetwilly@yahoogroups.com, J.G.Harston <jgh@...> wrote:

                > > 26. Semi-automatic Beheading System
                >
                > Semi-automatic? Semiautomatic? My Collins Gem says Semiautomatic.

                My internet search produced all possible results: semi-automatic, semi automatic and semiautomatic in hard-to-determine proportions. IIRC, "semiautomatic" seemed to be more common when refererring to cars and used as a noun, at least that's the impression I had.
                I also analysed in detail whether is should be "Semi-automatic" or "Semi-Automatic", and decided on the former, although it wasn't a 100% obvious decision (an 85% obvious, I would say).

                19.
                --- In manicminerandjetsetwilly@yahoogroups.com, J.G.Harston <jgh@...> wrote:

                >jetsetdanny wrote:
                > 12. 1 Dumb Waiter & 2 Useless Lifts
                > [an "extreme redesign" of "Dumb Waiter" (63) from JSWII for the BBC Micro]
                >Stylistically, that should be: One Dumb Waiter and Two Useless Lifts
                but that's 37 characters.

                --- In manicminerandjetsetwilly@yahoogroups.com, J.G.Harston <jgh@...> wrote:

                > Using numbers instead of words really makes writing look amateurish
                > and badly thought out, unless ur trying 2 mock the txt generation.

                I am not happy about using numbers. But in some cases I feel it's better to use a number than change the name completely.

                With the dumb waiter, I thought the name was good, because the three moving guardians in this room are: the horizontally moving dumb waiter (as defined by JSWII :-) ) and two vertically moving lifts (it says "LIFT" on them) which are useless (in fact, harmful - they are just regular guardians).

                So I can either keep the current name, or perhaps change it to someting like:
                "One Dumb Waiter and Two .... Lifts", where .... would have to be a four-letter adjective.
                How about:
                "One Dumb Waiter and Two Daft Lifts" ???

                Thank you once again to all three of you for your help. I really appreciate it. If you have any further comments or suggestions, please let them be known - it is still not too late to incorporate them into the game!

                Daniel
              • jetsetdanny
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 16, 2010
                  "JSW: The 2010 Megamix" is approaching its beta stage. I would be glad to sort out all of the room-name-related issues before I arrive at the beta version. So I would appreciate it if you could briefly comment on the following questions:

                  1. If I use "No." instead of "#", should it be e.g.:
                  "No.1" or "No. 1"?

                  2. "Brick Road to Brick-Hard Rooms" - does it sound / look OK?

                  3. "The BBC Wine Cellar Gone Crazy" - does it sound / look OK?

                  4. "One Dumb Waiter and Two Daft Lifts" - does it sound / look OK?

                  5. On Andrew's advice and after an internet search, in "Cloud Ninety-Nine" I have opted for the spelling "Ninety-Nine" instead of "Ninety-nine". However, if anyone thinks that it should be the latter, please let me know.

                  6. Reluctantly, I have resigned myself to the spelling "Cage-like Catwalk" instead of "Cagelike Catwalk". However, if there are people who think that "Cagelike" - spelled as one word - would be acceptable, please step forward and let your voice be heard.

                  Furthermore, I am hesitating as to whether to use sentence case in room names which sound like sentences or capitalise most words. I think I will have to make this decision on my own - unless any of you have strong views on this point.

                  Thanks in advance for your help.

                  Daniel
                • andrewbroad
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 17, 2010
                    This is a combined reply to Messages 6666 and 6677.

                    jetsetdanny wrote:

                    > "JSW: The 2010 Megamix" is approaching its beta stage. I would be
                    > glad to sort out all of the room-name-related issues before I
                    > arrive at the beta version. So I would appreciate it if you could
                    > briefly comment on the following questions:
                    >
                    > 1. If I use "No." instead of "#", should it be e.g.:
                    > "No.1" or "No. 1"?

                    I see "No." a lot in tennis-articles. Usually, it's written with the space, but sometimes without (e.g. on the WTA Tour's official website). So it's a matter of style: you have to make a decision and stick to it consistently.

                    Personally, I strongly prefer "No." without the space, as it looks much more compact, and enables you to combine it with a hyphen, as in "the world's No.1-ranked player" (a hyphen binds tighter than a space, but not as tightly as concatenation).

                    A policy of omitting the space would also mean that the 32-character limit on room-titles would never force you to be inconsistent.

                    > 2. "Brick Road to Brick-Hard Rooms" - does it sound / look OK?
                    >
                    > 3. "The BBC Wine Cellar Gone Crazy" - does it sound / look OK?
                    >
                    > 4. "One Dumb Waiter and Two Daft Lifts" - does it sound / look OK?

                    They look okay to me (except that the word "Wine" violates my anti-drugs principles). A cellar couldn't literally go crazy, of course, but it's valid as an instance of personification.

                    > 6. Reluctantly, I have resigned myself to the spelling "Cage-like
                    > Catwalk" instead of "Cagelike Catwalk". However, if there are
                    > people who think that "Cagelike" - spelled as one word - would be
                    > acceptable, please step forward and let your voice be heard.

                    Generally, if the resulting word is unfamiliar, then it should be hyphenated rather than concatenated. The New Oxford Dictionary of English doesn't have an entry for "cage{-}like", but does have an entry for "-like", with "pealike" and "crust-like" as examples. It's not clear why they chose to be inconsistent.

                    If in doubt, hyphenate. It is never wrong to do so, and very often, it is absolutely necessary.

                    > Before asking you for help, I tried to make the names as perfect as
                    > possible myself, by reading various materials on the Web concerning
                    > proper spelling rules in English and looking for examples. From
                    > what I could find, the spelling of compound numbers in titles
                    > should be like I have done: first digit capitalised,
                    > the other digit after the hyphen in lower case.
                    > If you can quote (point to) any rules or convincing examples to the
                    > contrary, please do so.

                    George Orwell's novel _Nineteen Eighty-Four_.

                    > Furthermore, I am hesitating as to whether to use sentence case in
                    > room names which sound like sentences or capitalise most words.
                    > I think I will have to make this decision on my own - unless any of
                    > you have strong views on this point.

                    Make a decision about which case to use, and stick to it consistently – unless you have to make an exception to respect the rules of a different language.

                    I didn't stick to a case-convention when I wrote Jet Set Dizzy as a 16-year-old, but today I wonder why I decided to write "Le jardin de l'eau" in sentence-case when I wrote most of the room-titles in title-case. Something must have crept into my subconscious as I studied GCSE French...

                    > In fact, there are no spaces in the room name between the words and
                    > the arrows, but I misspelled it when writing my message.

                    You need SPECSAISIE's RoomsJSW function!

                    --
                    Dr. Andrew Broad
                    http://abroad.sqweebs.org/spectrum/software/
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 18, 2010
                      Thanks a lot for your comments, Andrew. They are very helpful.

                      Regarding "Cagelike Catwalk" - the beauty of the name spelled in this way is, to me - a non-native English speaker, that there is a symmetry of two two-syllable words each beginning with C, of which both are (or at least look like) compound nouns (cage-like, cat-walk). Therefore I am so reluctant to spell "Cagelike" as "Cage-like", because it breaks the symmetry.
                      Perhaps this is actually because I am non-native - perhaps to you, the native speakers, "catwalk" doesn't even look like a compound noun???

                      So the question at this stage would be: does it look VERY wrong to you when you see the spelling "cagelike"?

                      --- In manicminerandjetsetwilly@yahoogroups.com, andrewbroad <no_reply@...> wrote:

                      > > In fact, there are no spaces in the room name between the words and
                      > > the arrows, but I misspelled it when writing my message.
                      >
                      > You need SPECSAISIE's RoomsJSW function!

                      I remember about it, but I decided that I will write the room names down one by one more quickly than if I had to devote time to installing SPECSAISIE and then used this function.

                      The problem is, so far I have *never* been able to install SPECAISIE or get it to run successfully (whichever is a more accurate description), and I tried it (a while ago) at least three times on different computers with different OS.

                      I will certainly try it again in the future, because I see many wonderfully useful features there. However, I think I will get down to it only some time after "JSW: The 2010 Megamix" has been gamma-released. Unless I am successful at the first attempt, expect questions about the installation of SPECSAISIE then.

                      Daniel
                    • J.G.Harston
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 18, 2010
                        jetsetdanny wrote:
                        > Regarding "Cagelike Catwalk" - the beauty of the name spelled in
                        > this way is, to me - a non-native English speaker, that there is a
                        > symmetry of two two-syllable words each beginning with C, of which

                        In this instance, because of the alliterative[pi] symmetry[e],
                        "Cagelike Catwalk" looks best.

                        [pi][e]I'm sure they're spelled wrong ;)

                        JGH
                      • sedricthedragon
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 22, 2010
                          --- In manicminerandjetsetwilly@yahoogroups.com, "jetsetdanny" <jetsetdanny@...> wrote:
                          > 21. The BBC Wine Cellar Gone Berserk
                          > [a redesign of "The Wine Cellar" (67) from JSWII for the BBC Micro - can a cellar (a place) go berserk, or only a person? - if the name is not right, how can I change it to keep it similar?]

                          In reality, no, a place cannot go berserk. But language benefits from the freedom of poetry, there's no reason why you can't describe the wine cellar as having "gone berserk"

                          - Sedric (the former SOA1000)