new from indonesia

  • debbie sumual
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2003
      hi all--im new in this egroup. i live in jakarta, indonesia and i am crazy about congkak. i started to collect congklak about 1.5 years ago and i am still hunting. anyone from indonesia?

      regards,
      debbie

      ps: i am getting married this friday oct 10 all my congklaks will be showed

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Paul Smith
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2003
        Debbie wrote
        > hi all--im new in this egroup.

        Welcome!

        > i live in jakarta, indonesia and i am crazy about congkak.
        > i started to collect congklak about 1.5 years ago and i am still hunting.
        > anyone from indonesia?

        I don't know if there is anyone here from Indonesia.

        Here in the UK I've managed to get hold of a congklak board (actually not a
        particularly nice one), but you don't see them in shops very often. I know
        the rules of the game (I think!) but I don't know much else about it, as I
        haven't met people from Indonesia. I have met a lot more people who play the
        African mancala games like Bao, Omweso and Oware. But I like to collect the
        boards for all different sorts of mancala games.

        A few years ago I got a message from an Indonesia person called Sasmite
        Adibowo. He had written a computer program to play Dakon, and he said:
        > The game is also known as "Congklak"
        > The Dakon board itself can range from Rp 15,000 to Rp 1,000,000
        > (about US$ 2 to US$ 140 at Rp 7,200 per US$) depending on the quality
        > of the materials and engravings. Once I saw in Toys 'R' Us, a plastic
        > version of "Conkak" .... After it loses popularity in it's origin,
        > the game is then taken over by others.
        >The game used to be popular among javanese girls... It is still
        > being played in the rural areas, and in the Palace of Yogyakarta
        > (Keraton Yogyakarta) *I think*. But since the "globalization" and the
        > increasing influence from the west, dakon becomes more and more unpopular.

        Apart from the rules, that is all I know about the game. So if there is
        anything more you can tell me about Congklak (and why is it also called
        Dakon, if it really is the same game?), I would be really interested to
        know!

        > ps: i am getting married this friday oct 10

        Congratulations and best wishes!

        Paul