Some images

  • Gavin Bray
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 1, 2008
      A clear night!!

      I've posted some images in my album.

      Regards
      Gavin
    • JackHuerkamp
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 2, 2008
        Gavin,

        Great images! Keep them coming - especially the stuff us in the
        Northern Hemisphere can't see.

        Jack

        Jack Huerkamp
        38388 Pine Street
        Pearl River, LA 70452-5192
        jhuerkamp@...
        www.WaningMoonII.com

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 2, 2008
          Thanks Jack and will do.

          Regards
          Gavin

          --- In mallincam@yahoogroups.com, "JackHuerkamp" <jhuerkmp@...> wrote:

          > Gavin,
          >
          > Great images! Keep them coming - especially the stuff us in the
          > Northern Hemisphere can't see.
          >
          > Jack
          >
          > Jack Huerkamp
          > 38388 Pine Street
          > Pearl River, LA 70452-5192
          > jhuerkamp@...
          > www.WaningMoonII.com

          On
          > Behalf Of Gavin Bray
          > Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2008 8:39 AM
          > To: mallincam@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [MallinCam] Some images
          >

          > A clear night!!
          >
          > I've posted some images in my album.

          > Regards
          > Gavin
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Gavin Bray
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 3, 2008
            I've bumped the red setting down one notch, took a little more care
            adjusting the video converter settings and have posted new images in
            my photo album.

            I do have a couple of questions.

            If I use the 28 or 56 second setting I seem to get some glow in the
            top left hand corner. For example, my NGC 4038 was 28 seconds and
            shows this. Is this amp glow? Is there anything that can be done to
            reduce this?

            Also, on bright stars I see reflections of the seconday mirror of my
            LX200R. The last photo in my album shows this. This isn't a big deal
            but I wondered what was causing the reflections?

            Thanks
            Gavin

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 3, 2008
              Gavin,

              The glow in the upper left is amp glow. To reduce it, you need to lower the AGC (gain). I will look at the other photos and reply further later.

              Jack

              -------------- Original message from "Gavin Bray" <gavbray@...>: --------------

            • R. Mallin
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 3, 2008
                Gavin,

                Your images are excellent! The upper left corner glow is caused
                by the internal ccd amplifier causing electro luminescence during long
                exposures. On the MallinCam it is a minor glow and can be controlled by
                two ways: One is lowering the AGC, next is by taking a dark frame and
                subtract it from the main image. The MallinCam is a visual camera and
                not intended as a imager. With that being said, those who wish to take
                images with the camera must observe standard calibration procedures
                just like a regular imager. I personally don't since I use the capture
                device proper and careful adjustments and careful camera gain
                adjustments as well. Amp glow can be removed with Photoshop as well.

                The reflection you got in one of your image is caused by the
                object being too bright for the image to be captured. Reduce the gain or
                integration will reduce this problem. Using the wrong F ratio
                combination for the object imaged will cause bright object such as
                bright stars to have reflection within the optical system. A common
                trade with any focal reducers. Focal reducers are not made to image
                bright point of light. They must be used on deep sky targets. Using a
                diagonal will also produce some form of reflection on bright point of
                light with a focal reducer.

                I also noticed Mike Pleinis images and jp8178 images on this
                group. Well done guys!

                Rock M.

                Gavin Bray wrote:

                >I've bumped the red setting down one notch, took a little more care
                >adjusting the video converter settings and have posted new images in
                >my photo album.
                >
                >I do have a couple of questions.
                >
                >If I use the 28 or 56 second setting I seem to get some glow in the
                >top left hand corner. For example, my NGC 4038 was 28 seconds and
                >shows this. Is this amp glow? Is there anything that can be done to
                >reduce this?
                >
                >Also, on bright stars I see reflections of the seconday mirror of my
                >LX200R. The last photo in my album shows this. This isn't a big deal
                >but I wondered what was causing the reflections?
                >
                >Thanks
                >Gavin
                >

                >--- In mallincam@yahoogroups.com, "Gavin Bray" <gavbray@...> wrote:
                >

                >>Thanks Jack and will do.
                >>
                >>Regards
                >>Gavin
                >>
                >>--- In mallincam@yahoogroups.com, "JackHuerkamp" <jhuerkmp@> wrote:
                >>

                >>>Gavin,
                >>>
                >>>Great images! Keep them coming - especially the stuff us in the
                >>>Northern Hemisphere can't see.
                >>>
                >>>Jack
                >>>
                >>>Jack Huerkamp
                >>>38388 Pine Street
                >>>Pearl River, LA 70452-5192
                >>>jhuerkamp@
                >>>www.WaningMoonII.com

              • Gavin Bray
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 3, 2008
                  Hi Jack

                  It's not a big issue but I will try lowering the gain to see what it
                  looks like.

                  Thanks
                  Gavin

                  --- In mallincam@yahoogroups.com, jhuerkmp@... wrote:

                  > Gavin,
                  >
                  > The glow in the upper left is amp glow. To reduce it, you need to
                  lower the AGC (gain). I will look at the other photos and reply
                  further later.

                  > Jack
                  >
                  > -------------- Original message from "Gavin Bray" <gavbray@...>: ---
                  -----------

                  > > I've bumped the red setting down one notch, took a little more
                  care
                  > > adjusting the video converter settings and have posted new images
                  in
                  > > my photo album.
                  > >
                  > > I do have a couple of questions.
                  > >
                  > > If I use the 28 or 56 second setting I seem to get some glow in
                  the
                  > > top left hand corner. For example, my NGC 4038 was 28 seconds and
                  > > shows this. Is this amp glow? Is there anything that can be done
                  > > reduce this?
                  > >
                  > > Also, on bright stars I see reflections of the seconday mirror of
                  my
                  > > LX200R. The last photo in my album shows this. This isn't a big
                  deal
                  > > but I wondered what was causing the reflections?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks
                  > > Gavin
                  > >

                  > > --- In mallincam@yahoogroups.com, "Gavin Bray" wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks Jack and will do.
                  > > >
                  > > > Regards
                  > > > Gavin

                • Gavin Bray
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 3, 2008
                    Hi Rock

                    Thanks for your detailed explanations.

                    I shall try lowering the gain a little. My intention is to record
                    what I see on the monitor so, for me personally, I'm not interested
                    in taking dark frames or doing any sort of image processing.
                    Regardless, I don't have a problem if a little amp glow still
                    persists.

                    Thanks for the information regarding the FR and reflections. I was
                    more curious than anything about this.

                    The one problem I do have with your camera is it's causing me to not
                    get enough sleep!

                    Regards
                    Gavin

                    --- In mallincam@yahoogroups.com, "R. Mallin" <mallincam@...> wrote:

                    > Gavin,
                    >
                    > Your images are excellent! The upper left corner glow is
                    caused
                    > by the internal ccd amplifier causing electro luminescence during
                    long
                    > exposures. On the MallinCam it is a minor glow and can be
                    controlled by
                    > two ways: One is lowering the AGC, next is by taking a dark frame
                    and
                    > subtract it from the main image. The MallinCam is a visual camera
                    and
                    > not intended as a imager. With that being said, those who wish to
                    take
                    > images with the camera must observe standard calibration
                    procedures
                    > just like a regular imager. I personally don't since I use the
                    capture
                    > device proper and careful adjustments and careful camera gain
                    > adjustments as well. Amp glow can be removed with Photoshop as
                    well.

                    > The reflection you got in one of your image is caused by the
                    > object being too bright for the image to be captured. Reduce the
                    gain or
                    > integration will reduce this problem. Using the wrong F ratio
                    > combination for the object imaged will cause bright object such as
                    > bright stars to have reflection within the optical system. A common
                    > trade with any focal reducers. Focal reducers are not made to image
                    > bright point of light. They must be used on deep sky targets. Using
                    > diagonal will also produce some form of reflection on bright point
                    of
                    > light with a focal reducer.
                    >
                    > I also noticed Mike Pleinis images and jp8178 images on this
                    > group. Well done guys!
                    >
                    > Rock M.
                    >

                    > Gavin Bray wrote:
                    >
                    > >I've bumped the red setting down one notch, took a little more
                    care
                    > >adjusting the video converter settings and have posted new images
                    in
                    > >my photo album.
                    > >
                    > >I do have a couple of questions.
                    > >
                    > >If I use the 28 or 56 second setting I seem to get some glow in
                    the
                    > >top left hand corner. For example, my NGC 4038 was 28 seconds and
                    > >shows this. Is this amp glow? Is there anything that can be done
                    > >reduce this?
                    > >
                    > >Also, on bright stars I see reflections of the seconday mirror of
                    my
                    > >LX200R. The last photo in my album shows this. This isn't a big
                    deal
                    > >but I wondered what was causing the reflections?
                    > >
                    > >Thanks
                    > >Gavin
                    > >

                    > >--- In mallincam@yahoogroups.com, "Gavin Bray" <gavbray@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > >>Thanks Jack and will do.
                    > >>
                    > >>Regards
                    > >>Gavin
                    > >>
                    > >>--- In mallincam@yahoogroups.com, "JackHuerkamp" <jhuerkmp@>

                  • Gavin Bray
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 5, 2008
                      I've updated my album with some new images including some taken with my
                      90mm SV90T refractor. On the brighter objects I'm amazed at how well
                      90mm does compared with the 14" LX200R. The SV90T images were taken at
                      its native 630mm focal length. I don't know whether it's possible but I
                      had no luck trying to use the MFR4.

                      Regards
                      Gavin

                      --- In mallincam@yahoogroups.com, "Gavin Bray" <gavbray@...> wrote:

                      > A clear night!!
                      >
                      > I've posted some images in my album.

                      > Regards
                      > Gavin

                    • Rock Mallin
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 5, 2008
                        Gavin,

                        Incredible image of Eta Carina! With a 90 mm refractor you sure
                        picked up a lot of data.
                        Are they stacked images? If so, how many images were coadded?

                        Rock M.

                        Gavin Bray wrote:

                        > I've updated my album with some new images including some taken with my
                        > 90mm SV90T refractor. On the brighter objects I'm amazed at how well
                        > 90mm does compared with the 14" LX200R. The SV90T images were taken at
                        > its native 630mm focal length. I don't know whether it's possible but I
                        > had no luck trying to use the MFR4.
                        >
                        > Regards
                        > Gavin
                        >
                        > --- In mallincam@yahoogroups.com, "Gavin Bray" <gavbray@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > A clear night!!
                        > >
                        > > I've posted some images in my album.

                        > > Regards
                        > > Gavin

                      • Gavin Bray
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 5, 2008
                          Thanks Rock. No stacking, just a single image. All I do is adjust the
                          brightness, contrast etc while watching the video and then I grab
                          single images, as they are with zero processing, from the avi and
                          save them as jpegs.

                          Regards
                          Gavin

                          --- In mallincam@yahoogroups.com, Rock Mallin <mallincam@...> wrote:

                          > Gavin,
                          >
                          > Incredible image of Eta Carina! With a 90 mm refractor you
                          sure
                          > picked up a lot of data.
                          > Are they stacked images? If so, how many images were coadded?
                          >
                          > Rock M.
                          >
                          > Gavin Bray wrote:
                          >
                          > > I've updated my album with some new images including some taken
                          with my
                          > > 90mm SV90T refractor. On the brighter objects I'm amazed at how
                          well
                          > > 90mm does compared with the 14" LX200R. The SV90T images were
                          taken at
                          > > its native 630mm focal length. I don't know whether it's possible
                          but I
                          > > had no luck trying to use the MFR4.
                          > >
                          > > Regards
                          > > Gavin
                          > >
                          > > --- In mallincam@yahoogroups.com, "Gavin Bray" <gavbray@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > A clear night!!
                          > > >
                          > > > I've posted some images in my album.

                          > > > Regards
                          > > > Gavin

                        • R. Mallin
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 5, 2008
                            Gavin,

                            You have mastered the correct way to adjust and calibrate the
                            camera and monitor / frame grabber, well done!. Which capture device did
                            you use?

                            Rock M.

                            Gavin Bray wrote:

                            >Thanks Rock. No stacking, just a single image. All I do is adjust the
                            >brightness, contrast etc while watching the video and then I grab
                            >single images, as they are with zero processing, from the avi and
                            >save them as jpegs.
                            >
                            >Regards
                            >Gavin
                            >
                            >--- In mallincam@yahoogroups.com, Rock Mallin <mallincam@...> wrote:
                            >

                            >>Gavin,
                            >>
                            >> Incredible image of Eta Carina! With a 90 mm refractor you
                            >>

                            >sure
                            >

                            >>picked up a lot of data.
                            >>Are they stacked images? If so, how many images were coadded?
                            >>
                            >> Rock M.
                            >>
                            >>Gavin Bray wrote:
                            >>

                            >>>I've updated my album with some new images including some taken
                            >>>

                            >with my
                            >

                            >>>90mm SV90T refractor. On the brighter objects I'm amazed at how
                            >>>

                            >well
                            >

                            >>>90mm does compared with the 14" LX200R. The SV90T images were
                            >>>

                            >taken at
                            >

                            >>>its native 630mm focal length. I don't know whether it's possible
                            >>>

                            >but I
                            >

                            >>>had no luck trying to use the MFR4.
                            >>>
                            >>>Regards
                            >>>Gavin

                          • Gavin Bray
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 6, 2008
                              Rock

                              Thanks for the compliment but there's not a great deal of skill
                              required on my part. :-)

                              I'm using an ImagingSource DFG/1394-1e video converter and the IC
                              Capture software that comes with the device. What I like about this
                              software is that it's very easy to adjust the contrast, brightness
                              and colour using sliders and I can configure it to save a single
                              frame every 2 seconds which means I can record for several hours and
                              it's easy to go back though the results later. Having finished for
                              the night I then just open the avi file using VirtualDub and browse
                              through the frames, find the ones that look nice, and copy/paste them
                              into Microsoft Paint to save them as jpegs.

                            • Shevill Mathers
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 6, 2008
                                Hi Gavin,

                                Pleased to see you are using the IS Video Converter as well, great
                                device and excellent software designed for the job. I have been very
                                pleased with mine, it keeps all the cameras using the same software.
                                Must admit we have been a bit short of clear skies since I got it a few
                                months back!!

                                Regards
                                Shevill

                                Gavin Bray wrote:

                                > Rock
                                >
                                > Thanks for the compliment but there's not a great deal of skill
                                > required on my part. :-)
                                >
                                > I'm using an ImagingSource DFG/1394-1e video converter and the IC
                                > Capture software that comes with the device. What I like about this
                                > software is that it's very easy to adjust the contrast, brightness
                                > and colour using sliders and I can configure it to save a single
                                > frame every 2 seconds which means I can record for several hours and
                                > it's easy to go back though the results later. Having finished for
                                > the night I then just open the avi file using VirtualDub and browse
                                > through the frames, find the ones that look nice, and copy/paste them
                                > into Microsoft Paint to save them as jpegs.
                                >
                                > Regards
                                > Gavin
                                >
                                > --- In mallincam@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mallincam%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                > "R. Mallin" <mallincam@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Gavin,
                                > >
                                > > You have mastered the correct way to adjust and calibrate
                                > the
                                > > camera and monitor / frame grabber, well done!. Which capture
                                > device did
                                > > you use?
                                > >
                                > > Rock M.
                                > >
                                > > Gavin Bray wrote:
                                > >
                                > > >Thanks Rock. No stacking, just a single image. All I do is adjust
                                > the
                                > > >brightness, contrast etc while watching the video and then I grab
                                > > >single images, as they are with zero processing, from the avi and
                                > > >save them as jpegs.
                                > > >
                                > > >Regards
                                > > >Gavin
                                > > >
                                > > >--- In mallincam@yahoogroups.com

                                > you
                                > > >>

                                > > >sure

                                > > >with my

                                > > >well

                                > > >taken at

                                > possible
                                > > >>>

                                > > >but I

                              • Gavin Bray
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 6, 2008
                                  Hi Shevill

                                  The only other capture devices I've tried are a Hauppauge capture
                                  card and a Canopus video converter. Neither of these permitted
                                  adjusting contrast, brightness or colour so the results were
                                  disappointing. I'm very pleased with the IS converter and IC Capture.
                                  The other thing I like about IS is they offer very good technical
                                  support so I would recommend them highly to anyone.

                                  I think we're finally out of the 4 month long wet season up here! I
                                  hope your weather is improving too.

                                  Regards
                                  Gavin

                                  --- In mallincam@yahoogroups.com, Shevill Mathers
                                  <Shevill.Mathers@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Gavin,
                                  >
                                  > Pleased to see you are using the IS Video Converter as well, great
                                  > device and excellent software designed for the job. I have been
                                  very
                                  > pleased with mine, it keeps all the cameras using the same
                                  software.
                                  > Must admit we have been a bit short of clear skies since I got it a
                                  few
                                  > months back!!
                                  >
                                  > Regards
                                  > Shevill
                                  >
                                  > Gavin Bray wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Rock
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks for the compliment but there's not a great deal of skill
                                  > > required on my part. :-)
                                  > >
                                  > > I'm using an ImagingSource DFG/1394-1e video converter and the IC
                                  > > Capture software that comes with the device. What I like about
                                  this
                                  > > software is that it's very easy to adjust the contrast, brightness
                                  > > and colour using sliders and I can configure it to save a single
                                  > > frame every 2 seconds which means I can record for several hours
                                  and
                                  > > it's easy to go back though the results later. Having finished for
                                  > > the night I then just open the avi file using VirtualDub and
                                  browse
                                  > > through the frames, find the ones that look nice, and copy/paste
                                  them
                                  > > into Microsoft Paint to save them as jpegs.
                                  > >
                                  > > Regards
                                  > > Gavin
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In mallincam@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mallincam%
                                  40yahoogroups.com>,
                                  > > "R. Mallin" <mallincam@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Gavin,
                                  > > >
                                  > > > You have mastered the correct way to adjust and calibrate
                                  > > the
                                  > > > camera and monitor / frame grabber, well done!. Which capture
                                  > > device did
                                  > > > you use?
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Rock M.

                                  > > the

                                  > > <mailto:mallincam%40yahoogroups.com>, Rock Mallin <mallincam@>

                                  > > you

                                  > > possible

                                  > > <mailto:mallincam%40yahoogroups.com>, "Gavin Bray" <gavbray@>

                                • Shevill Mathers
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 6, 2008
                                    Hi Gavin,

                                    Can you send some of your rain down here, things are getting desparate.
                                    We have all the heavy tropical looking thunderclouds, but NO rain, so
                                    our Hydro storage is down to a 10-year low at 20% and cloudy skies to
                                    hold up astronomy, two minus features.

                                    Like you, I am itching to use my Hyper on the circumpolar objects to see
                                    how my Tak Epsilon 180ED performs at f/2.8.

                                    Regards
                                    Shevill

                                    Gavin Bray wrote:

                                    > Hi Shevill
                                    >
                                    > The only other capture devices I've tried are a Hauppauge capture
                                    > card and a Canopus video converter. Neither of these permitted
                                    > adjusting contrast, brightness or colour so the results were
                                    > disappointing. I'm very pleased with the IS converter and IC Capture.
                                    > The other thing I like about IS is they offer very good technical
                                    > support so I would recommend them highly to anyone.
                                    >
                                    > I think we're finally out of the 4 month long wet season up here! I
                                    > hope your weather is improving too.
                                    >
                                    > Regards
                                    > Gavin
                                    >
                                    > --- In mallincam@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mallincam%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                    > Shevill Mathers
                                    > <Shevill.Mathers@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Hi Gavin,
                                    > >
                                    > > Pleased to see you are using the IS Video Converter as well, great
                                    > > device and excellent software designed for the job. I have been
                                    > very
                                    > > pleased with mine, it keeps all the cameras using the same
                                    > software.
                                    > > Must admit we have been a bit short of clear skies since I got it a
                                    > few
                                    > > months back!!
                                    > >
                                    > > Regards
                                    > > Shevill
                                    > >
                                    > > Gavin Bray wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Rock
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Thanks for the compliment but there's not a great deal of skill
                                    > > > required on my part. :-)
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I'm using an ImagingSource DFG/1394-1e video converter and the IC
                                    > > > Capture software that comes with the device. What I like about
                                    > this
                                    > > > software is that it's very easy to adjust the contrast, brightness
                                    > > > and colour using sliders and I can configure it to save a single
                                    > > > frame every 2 seconds which means I can record for several hours
                                    > and
                                    > > > it's easy to go back though the results later. Having finished for
                                    > > > the night I then just open the avi file using VirtualDub and
                                    > browse
                                    > > > through the frames, find the ones that look nice, and copy/paste
                                    > them
                                    > > > into Microsoft Paint to save them as jpegs.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Regards
                                    > > > Gavin
                                    > > >
                                    > > > --- In mallincam@yahoogroups.com
                                    > <mailto:mallincam%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:mallincam%
                                    > 40yahoogroups.com>,

                                    > > > the
                                    > > > device did

                                    > adjust
                                    > > > the
                                    > grab
                                    > and

                                    > <mailto:mallincam%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    > > > <mailto:mallincam%40yahoogroups.com>, Rock Mallin <mallincam@>

                                    > > > you

                                    > taken

                                    > how

                                    > > > possible

                                    > <mailto:mallincam%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    > > > <mailto:mallincam%40yahoogroups.com>, "Gavin Bray" <gavbray@>

                                  • Gavin Bray
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 6, 2008
                                      I'd gladly send you the rain if I could. :-}

                                      The Tak sounds like it would be a stunner with the Mallincam.

                                      Don't forget to post some images. I'd be very interested to see them.