Tech ?? for MC Pro for Ugandan/overseas outreach

  • rolandlinda3
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2007
      Jack was nice enough to donate a MC Pro for our ministry work where
      we do observational astronomy for teachers and children in
      impoverished regions. The camera's first "mission" trip is likely to
      be to Uganda in 08. I am experimenting using sense up settings on a
      little refractor (80-mm Vernon scope) but if someone has done this
      before, I can shorten my investigation by just confirming a couple
      points. I know the Vernon scope can use the MallinCAM series
      straight in (no diagonal) and we are rigging it on an old Meade
      tripod that can be set for 0 latitude, but there is no power (and no
      power at the location where we will be for two months), no slow
      motion controls that are very usable, and no electronic things on the
      mount. I will use a local car battery with a 12V lead to go to a tip
      positive connector to the camera...mounted on this little Vernon
      scope. My screen will be a little DVD player (solar-charged batteries
      during the day) or something similar.

      With all this in view, I figure I can use AGC set pretty high and
      sense up to 64x or so (about a second) with very little noticeable
      distortion on the objects. Of course, I am not reaching deep...just
      prominent objects.

      Anyone used these "reduced" sense up settings who can tell me what
      was usable??

      Are there any other tips for "outback" use, power sources, etc. that
      you recommend.

      Thanks for reading.

      Roland