Differences MallinCan, Mintron and Watec

  • henksp
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
      Dear Rock,

      I am quite confused what exact differences there are between the
      MallinCam's, the Mintron, the SAC's, the Watec 120 and Polaris Color
      CCD's.

      A lot of features on the MallinCam are also available on the other
      camera's. You state that these CCD camera's are hand-made, so that
      triggers me enormously what you add to camera.

      Could you give an overview where the MallinCam's are different from
      the Mintron, SAC's, the Watec 120 and the Color DXL's and what extra
      features there are on the MallinCam's?

      I own a Mintron 12-Ex, but I am very interested to know if the Mallin-
      Cam has extra features over the Mintron. Is the MallinCam also
      inluenced by amp-glow for instance?

      Your answer could clarify a lot to me.

      Kind regards,
      Henk Spoelstra
      Arnhem
      Holland
    • Rock Mallin
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
        Hi Henk!

        Welcome to the information group of the MallinCam, and I'm glad
        you ask! . It has been posted before on this group about the differences of
        the MallinCam, but here goes again. We get all separate board from Wakayama
        a parent company of Mintron. Mintron is consumer grade stuff, and Wakayama
        does industrial and scientific as well as high end OEM cameras and imaging.
        The big difference is the video board in our camera is design by us. We get
        our ccd chips separate and we choose only grade 1 ccd sensors. Grade 1
        components are used throughout the whole camera. That's the way we wanted
        and that's how its made. Why? To keep a low hot pixel count in different
        temperature environment and stability through out the whole camera, and a
        longer lasting product. Look at images taken by Michael Vasseur, Denis
        Legault and myself for example. Signal to noise ratio is lower than any
        other so call Mintron, StellaCam, Polaris, Sac ,etc. Or compared to any
        video cameras intended for this purpose.

        On our new model, the MallinCam PRO, we use dual memory chip in
        order to re process the image resulting in a *NO* amplifier glow on the
        left side of the image like all the ones you see such as Mintron,
        StellaCam, Polaris, SAC etc. They just add their name to it. We don't. We
        sent our design to Wakayama in order to get the CPU and memory chips done
        our way so our video board will benefit maximum signal to noise ratio and
        the best performance found anywhere. We also have a different menu for the
        MallinCam PRO. Its much more packed with feature, and more control over the
        manipulation of the final image.

        The camera are all hand assembled. All board are shipped to
        us in separate shipping crates, which includes, the CPU / Memories / Video
        out board, the Power supply section board is sent separate, and the video
        board are sent to us partly assembled without a ccd sensor on it where once
        arrived, we complete the full assembly of our own design. The result is a
        image that is far superior to the, for example, Watec 120 or the StellaCam
        II which uses 8 second of integration, our does it better in 2.1 second, no
        dark frames like the Watec does. The Watec takes 256X integration and
        another 256 integration for dark frame removal. You still get only 4
        seconds in all out of the claimed 8 seconds. Our camera, the MallinCam PRO
        is picture perfect right on the screen without any amp glow, noises, etc.
        Signal to noise ratio is at 110db s/n. Whites is pure white, and blacks
        are pure black in the final image with an increase sensitivity of about 55%
        more than the other company models mentioned above. That's the difference.

        Also, our camera comes complete with the 1.25 eyepiece adapter
        , regulated high precision power supply, high grade video cable assembled
        by us in the shop in Ottawa, BNC to RCA adapter, allen key for ring
        adjustment, carrying case, and WE pay shipping anywhere in Canada. We have
        paid shipping on occasion to professional observatories in the USA and
        scientific institutes.

        Our color camera offers real time viewing and imaging in real
        colors. The sensitivity of the Color models is much higher than the
        StellaCam , Polaris, Sac, Mintron, etc. black and white models they offer.
        You actually view like a picture on screen in full colors, not false or
        green or what ever. Unfortunately the color models suffers a little bit of
        amp glow since only one memory chip is used, and the high gain of the video
        board is the highest in the industry. It is still lower glow than all the
        other models offered by Mintron, StellaCam, Sac, Polaris etc. We are
        currently working on a new innovative accessories for all MallinCam

        I hope this answer your questions, Henk.

        Kind Regards,
        Rock Mallin

        PS: Our web site is outdated and should be updated soon! Although some
        images are recent in the section of astroimaging.