Re: First light, MC Xtreme

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 18, 2010
      Hi Larry

      I have the Mallincam Xtreme (not upgraded version) camera and I was very fortunate that my timing this time was good because Rock just happened to have a very good ccd chip for me (ICX418AKL-A Class 0 ccd chip that Rock said reminded him of a class 00) to put into my new camera. I had the Sony ICX418AKL-A Class 1 ccd chip in my MCHP which was very good with only three hot pixels. When I bought the VSS+, I opted for the ICX418AKL-A Class 0 ccd chip. Well after having that chip I was a believer in the class 0 and I did notice 0 hot pixels, less amp glow, less noise and a bit better dynamic range. The ccd chip in my Xtreme is even nicer than the one I had in my VSS+ & I am very happy with how things worked out.

      For my setup, I prefer the ICX418AKL-A Class 0 ccd chip over the Sony EXview HAD sensor since I am mostly guiding esp for the fainter objects, so I have no problem going on these objects anywhere from 1 to 3 minutes with nice tight round stars. I could have opted for the Sony EXview HAD class 1 sensor over the ICX418AKL-A Class 0 sensor, but at the expense of more hot/warm pixels, noise, amp glow and a bit less dynamic range. You should select your sensor according to your skies and setup.

      Clear skies!

      Chris A

      --- In mallincam@yahoogroups.com, "larryspc" <larry@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > > > My next few nights out I observed all of the above targets again plus many more . I saw NGC 891, the crab nebula, and M 77 for the first time ever with my scope. I had seen these all on NSN, but it is not the same as seeing it with your own equipment. To observe all these deep sky targets I used the "Deep Sky" button from the Basic tab of the control software with no changes other than setting gamma to 1, which is recommended for LCD monitors. On my first night I viewed everything with my Samsung 19" LCD TV/monitor which was set to a 4:3 aspect ratio. Ever since then I have been using AMCAP and a Dazzle DVC 100 capture device. I have also added a DVE to the mix, but I have not used it live yet. I have tried it out though. I recorded my first session on DVD so I have raw images to play with. I fed those images through the DVE and I am impressed with it's dark mode and noise reduction, which comes in handy on targets that require more integration. In case you haven't figured this out yetÂ…I really love this camera. Now if only the skies would clear.

    • Jack Huerkamp
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 18, 2010
        Chris,

        I recently shipped an EX Xtreme to Stan Watson. Hopefully he will get a
        chance to compare it to his other MallinCams and provide some insight on how
        the EX performs

        Jack

        --- In mallincam@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mallincam%40yahoogroups.com> ,
        "larryspc" <larry@...> wrote:

        > Sorry I can't help you there, mine is a standard sensor. I think maybe
        Chris A. has the sensor you are asking about. If so, I am sure he will chime
        in.

        > Regards,
        > Larry Hansen
        >

        > --- In mallincam@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mallincam%40yahoogroups.com> ,
        "Steve Novosel" <delawaredude11@> wrote:

        > > Larry, great expose! Sadly it only increases the desire of those of us
        who are on the Extreme waiting list. ;-) Is yours one of the versions with
        the EXview HAD sensors? Does anyone other than Rock have the EXview version
        and can report on its use?

        > > --- In mallincam@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mallincam%40yahoogroups.com> ,
        "larryspc" <larry@> wrote:

        > > > Hello all,
        > > >
        > > > First of all let me say Thank You to Rock for designing this fine
        astronomical camera, and Thanks to Jack H. for being such a first class
        distributor . Also thanks to everyone who broadcasts on NSN, you are doing a
        fine service to all us new comers to the Mallincam.
        > > > Since my first night out with my new Xtreme was back on Nov. 29 I am
        doing this first light report from memory. When my camera arrived from Jack
        I found it and all accessories very well packed. Nice job Jack! I got
        package number 3, a MFR-5, a 10mm and 5mm extension ring, a dual heat
        dissipater, and an accessory case. Upon opening the camera box the quality
        of this fine camera was very evident. I did not get the camera out the first
        night but hooked it up and installed it in my diagonal for some bench
        testing through my telescope with the lens cover over the corrector plate. I
        did this to just get used to the camera and the control software. The next
        afternoon I set up the camera and my scope on the patio for some daytime
        observing of the mountains and to get a rough focus on distant objects
        before going out that night to gaze at the night sky. Before I go any
        further I need to tell you that I have very poor vision, I am actually
        legally blind not to mention color blind. And this Mallincam Xtreme is just
        what the doctor ordered. I can see way more with it than I could ever see
        with an eyepiece, although I can still do alright with eyepieces. Not sure
        how often I will use them again though, if ever. At dark I was all set up
        with my CPC 800 aligned and the camera with MFR-5 ready to go. For my first
        target I chose an easy one, M 31. My skies here in Mesquite Nevada are quite
        light polluted, plus I have a very bright street light about 50 feet away,
        although it's light is blocked by my garage. When viewing M 31 with an
        eyepiece it shows up very faint. With the Mc however.WOW. I live in Michigan
        in the summer and there I have very dark skies. M 31 is way brighter with
        more detail here in light polluted skies than at my dark Michigan site with
        EP`s, as was the case with all other targets. The rest of the evening I
        looked at M 32, the ring nebula, the dumbbell nebula, the little dumbbell,
        and finally the Pinwheel. All of these were very impressive to see through
        the Mallincam Xtreme
        > > > My next few nights out I observed all of the above targets again plus
        many more . I saw NGC 891, the crab nebula, and M 77 for the first time ever
        with my scope. I had seen these all on NSN, but it is not the same as seeing
        it with your own equipment. To observe all these deep sky targets I used the
        "Deep Sky" button from the Basic tab of the control software with no changes
        other than setting gamma to 1, which is recommended for LCD monitors. On my
        first night I viewed everything with my Samsung 19" LCD TV/monitor which was
        set to a 4:3 aspect ratio. Ever since then I have been using AMCAP and a
        Dazzle DVC 100 capture device. I have also added a DVE to the mix, but I
        have not used it live yet. I have tried it out though. I recorded my first
        session on DVD so I have raw images to play with. I fed those images through
        the DVE and I am impressed with it's dark mode and noise reduction, which
        comes in handy on targets that require more integration. In case you haven't
        figured this out yet.I really love this camera. Now if only the skies would
        clear.

        > > > Regards,
        > > > Larry Hansen

      • Chris
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 18, 2010
          That sounds good Jack.

          Chris

          --- In mallincam@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Huerkamp" <mallincamusa@...> wrote:

          > Chris,
          >

          > I recently shipped an EX Xtreme to Stan Watson. Hopefully he will get a
          > chance to compare it to his other MallinCams and provide some insight on how
          > the EX performs
          >

          > Jack

        • Watson, Stanley
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 18, 2010
            Jack an Chris,
            Ok so I'll do it. But only if you make the cold (-10) go away and the
            sky clear up. Groan. Soon soon.

            Stan the Depressed

            ,

            "larryspc" <larry@> wrote:

> [...]
            other than setting gamma to 1, which is recommended for LCD monitors. On
            my
            first night I viewed everything with my Samsung 19" LCD TV/monitor which
            was
            set to a 4:3 aspect ratio. Ever since then I have been using AMCAP and a
            Dazzle DVC 100 capture device. I have also added a DVE to the mix, but I
            have not used it live yet. I have tried it out though. I recorded my
            first
            session on DVD so I have raw images to play with. I fed those images
            through
            the DVE and I am impressed with it's dark mode and noise reduction,
            which
            comes in handy on targets that require more integration. In case you
            haven't
            figured this out yet.I really love this camera. Now if only the skies

          • Chris
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 18, 2010
              Same here Stan about average night temp .4C or 24F and cloudy. Does not look good so far for the Eclipse. Looking forward to your test Stan.

              Cheers,

              Chris A