HAJJ

  • Call Thetruth
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2007
      THE STREET M IMB AR
      Khutbah (14 December 2007)
      Suggestions & Criticisms: PLEASE e-mail: khutbahs@...
      It is in such a manner that We make plain our signs so that the course of the
      Criminals may become clear.
      Bismillah Ar-Rahmaan Ar-Raheem.
      Alhumdulillah. Peace and blessings on Muhammad (sallalahu alaihi wa sallam), his Noble Companions and Family.
      Brothers and Sisters, Committed Muslims, Muslims of Conviction, hard work and a struggle....

      HAJJ
      On this day, the Muslims are standing on Mount Arafat. We ask Allah and pray to Him that he accepts the intentions and efforts of these Muslims who are performing the Hajj less then the required performance. It is our responsibility (from this position) to speak the truth about what Al-Hajj means, (at least in part), we cannot exhaust the whole subject. We ask you- brothers and sisters- to pay close attention because there is a barrier of traditions and an accumulation of cultures that sometimes make it very hard to understand what is supposed to be frank and direct (i.e.) Allah’s words and His Prophet’s works. Thus, let us listen and pay attention to what Allah in says in Surat Al-Hajj says about this yearly responsibility. This is a descriptive of what it means to have the Hajj (and) to go to the Hajj (and) to fulfill part of the meaning which is absent from the Hajj.

      OK- it might be worth-while to gain some information that has been throughout the centuries lost to us. The 1st thing we’d like to say, this is necessary to have a healthier and a fuller meaning of these ayaat (and) we have to take a look at the Ka’bah and Makkah itself in history. Before these ayaat were revealed, we all know that Ibrahim, Hajar and Isma’eel (alaihim as-salaam) were (to put it in words) the founders of geographic Makkah. They were the pace-setters of what was going to become the Hajj and the Umrah. Makkah is a word mentioned in the Qur’an either as Makkah with the “meem” or the “M” or as Bakkah with the “ba” or the “B”. It has been designated to be the 1st place that is distinguished for being Allah’s bayt or (some translations would have it) Allah’s Temple , Sanctuary or (because other languages and words fail the meaning) dwelling place- that’s the attempt of capturing the meaning of the word al-bayt. When Makkah is used in any Islamic literature it either refers to the urban center of Makkah, meaning the town or the city of Makkah or it also can refer to Al-bayt Al-Haram itself- both of these usages are found when we encounter the word Makkah. What is the meaning of this word? To the best of our knowledge and research there doesn’t seem to be a clear meaning to the word. In other words it may be a proper noun or it may tolerate a derivative meaning. There is nothing conclusive that can be said about the word Makkah. If we were to extend our linguistic definition- in the Semitic language- there are some letters similar to Makkah or Bakkah or Bak’a which means a valley. We know Makkah is located near some hills and mountains, therefore that maybe the meaning of the word. We also know that since the time of Ibrahim and Isma’eel, Makkah has been a growing place that has attracted the activity of man. Without going into the details pertaining to Arabian tribes of Khuzaa’ and before that Jurhum who were to have occupied that desolated area after the arrival of Hajar and Isma’eel after Ibrahim left them there. It gained what is called (we don’t use this word, but what people call) a religious place, retreat or sanctuary. Al-Ka’bah itself was built by Ibrahim and his son Ismaeel. This is the ayah in the Qur’an
      And bear in mind as Ibrahim raises the foundations of this Bayt along with Ismaeel saying Our Sustainer accept this from us (Surah Al-Baqarah verse127)

      As far as Makkah, Al-bayt Al-Haraam and Al-Ka’bah are concerned, in relationship to the Hajj, from what we read and know- the Hajj was performed during pre-Muhammadi, pre-Qur’anic and pre-Islamic times the same way it is performed today. There was at-tawaaf around the Ka’bah; there was ascending Arafat; there was the dispersing from Arafat; there was the tadhiyah, the slaughtering of the animal; and there was ar-rajm. All of these were practiced at the Hajj by everyone who was going to the Hajj at the time of the Hajj. The details and the timing of the Hajj did not change. There was one striking difference between the way the Hajj was performed prior to the Prophet and the way it was performed after that and that is that when people used to go to the Hajj between the 22nd year of the Prophetic era, all to the way back to the time of a few generations after Ibrahim, (when something changed in the performance of the Hajj) and that change was that people would go around the Ka’bah without any clothes- in the nude and that is why in the 22nd year of the Hijra the Prophet’s instructions to the Hujjaj (in the singular or plural) there shall be no one unclothed who’s going to go in their tawaaf around the Ka’bah. But besides that, the rest of these stations, areas and designations in the Hajj were there- no change. This is very important to remember. Regardless of the accumulation of traditions or the absence of information you have to begin to understand this. Some people think that the Muslims came with something (at least) the motions of which were new; the motions were not new. The spirit was new but the mechanics were old.

      This is very important to understand- brothers and sisters- please follow, we beg you your attention. We have an unspoken attitude or ideas that want us to believe that these inhabitants of Makkah, throughout all of these years before we have the refined and crystallized Hajj that we have (beginning with Allah’s Prophet), most of us think that before that these people who are coming to Makkah and going through these rituals were pagans. This is not an accurate description. Rather, they were more muwwahidin or people of Tawheed in the religious (here, we mean the word the way it’s used is in the secular world) sense than they were pagans- this is so important that you should take this sentence and its meaning and plant it deep down in your mind and heart. We know this from the following: idolaters or pagans could have subtle differences in definition, but we want to go back into the Qur’an and dig out the real meanings of these words. If we take the word wathan or awthaan (wathan is one, awthaan is the plural), we find it only exists 3 times in the Qur’an- 3 times. If we take the word asnaam or as-sanam, it only exists 4 times in the Qur’an- only 4 times. What’s the difference between wathan and sanam? Wathan is a designated thing that has the devotion of man to it but it doesn’t have a figure- it could be just a plain rock, tree- something without a figure (and) not refined; something that is still (so to speak) natural or raw- that is wathan. When man comes to something in nature and begins to give it an image or figure, that becomes a sanam. Both of these- wathan and sanam- whether they had a figure or image or didn’t were mentioned 7 times in the Qur’an. In at least 4 of those times they were mentioned pertaining to Ibrahim and his parting from his own people, culture, community, society and family. Who are these people who are going to Makkah and the Ka’bah before the Prophet? What describes or characterizes them? They were characterized as designating awliya’ besides Allah- not asnaam and not awthaan. We beg you (once again), follow what we are saying because it will clear the air on much of the confusion that has taken deep root in our society and religious establishments. In Surat Al-Azhab, Allah says… What is this ayah saying?
      To Allah belongs the unpolluted or the pristine deen ( Surah Az -Zumar verse 3)
      OK- that fact is established. No one shares this deen, rivals, competes, clashes or is parallel to Him as far as this deen is concerned.
      but those who call upon lesser beings or inferior things to Allah ( Surah Az -Zumar verse 3)
      OK- ask them, “what is your rational for that?” They will say these are our awliya’ the plural of wali.
      we do not affirm or conform to them except as a matter that these awliya’ are catalysts to our proximity to Allah ( Surah Az -Zumar verse 3)
      Remember, al-wathan and al-awthaan and as-sanam and al-asnaam, which are words that don’t have derivatives; they’re stuck in a frozen linguistic world are only 7 times in the whole Qur’an- two words occur only 7 times. The word awliya’ and its derivatives (there are plenty of its derivatives) occurs around 200 times. If we were to gage and measure the way Muslims think today, we would think the opposite is the case- we’d think that asnaam and awthaan are mentioned couple of hundred times in the Qur’an because our impression and image about those the Prophet was speaking to and trying to have adhere to Allah is that they are pagans and idolaters and Allah is telling us in the Qur’an your definition of a pagan and an idolater does not apply to them. They were not contrarian to Me because of some idols or figurines, they were contrary to Me because they have in-betweens, awliya’, interfering authorities, rulers and maximalists- these are the types they had that violated their relationship with Me. This is extremely important to understand, digest and have flow through our minds and hearts.

      With this background information, we come to these ayaat- the ones in Surat Al-Hajj that were quoted at the beginning of the khutbah. Maybe something else also has to be said. Some people think that Al- Hejaz- the area in which Makkah and Al-Madinah are located- was at the fringes of existence. That wasn’t the case. The way the world was at that time, this was relatively an undeveloped area of the world (and) life in the dessert is nomadic and somewhat primitive- all of that is true, but that doesn’t mean that Makkah (this place that we are talking about) was on the fringes of existence or life. To the contrary, there were a few active areas around it that from time to time (and) wave after wave would impact it. Those were the Persians, the Romans and (today they call them Ethiopians, but because of today’s politics we are not going to use that word), we are going to call them al-ahbaash. These were the three centers that had waves of influence back and forth on (number one), the Arabian Peninsula, but more to the point on the Hejaz where Makkah and Al-Madinah were located. Let us mention that about one century before this wahy, the area of influence had shifted from Najd in Arabia (this is within the nomadic environment (and) the area of influence) Al-Hejaz. Also, in the Northern parts of Al-Hejaz is an area called Waadi Al-Qura, which was very fertile so it attracted those who work the agriculture. Also, Makkah was a commercial area. The Qur’an speaks about
      the commercial activity between Yemen to the South and Ash-Shaam to the North with Makkah almost equidistant between these two commercial areas (Surah Al-Quraish verse 2)
      When Allah begins to peel off these layers of mis-information and ignorance and begins to fill us with the way this place should be He says,
      those who are in objection to Allah’s power and they bar from a course to Allah,(sabeelillah) and Al-Masjid Al-Haram (Surah Al-Hajj verse 25)
      By twining sabeelillah and Al-Masjid Al-Haraam in this ayah, it is an inference that the course to Allah is to always be remembered and combined with Al-Masjid Al-Haram- something the average Muslim does not do. In these words in Surat Al-Hajj, Allah is saying that
      He (Allah Himself) has rendered or made those who reside in it or are living in Makkah- around Al-Masjid Al-Haram- and those who come from other areas or who make the journey there from distant lands- they are considered equal there (Surah Al-Hajj verse 25)
      We don’t mean equal in a class sense we mean equal in every sense of the word; meaning there is not more privileges and more rights for people who live in Makkah to the exclusion of other Muslims who do not reside or live in Makkah; meaning Makkah is as easily accessible to you thousands of miles away as it is to anyone who is to the proximity, vicinity and the immediate area around Al-Bayt Al-Haram, Al-Bayt Al-Ateeq. This is very significant in light of the way Makkah today is off limits to Al-Baad- the word in this ayah. We find that someone’s breaking the Qur’anic law. These are Allah’s words (and) these are His meanings. Makkah equally belongs to everyone, (but) why is that not the case today? Some people can go to Makkah some people cannot go there, but those who live in Makkah can stay or dwell there forever but other Muslims if they are lucky enough they will be given a few days to go in their lifetime and then they are forced to get out. This is not what the ayah is saying. Refer, read and research this ayah!
      and whoever has the intention, will, policies or administration to profane this (what has been stated about Makkah as a matter of violating the justice about Makkah and about this issue), we will cause them to taste the bitterness and agony of torment  (Surah Al-Hajj verse 25-27)
      Makkah is not some floating meteor up there, beyond our human access; it is on earth. There are people doing with it what they want to do. They don’t care what Allah is saying. Is anyone referring to this ayah in the way we are running the Hajj and Umrah or the way we are going to the Hajj and the Umrah? Absolutely not!
      And we have raised the rank or the status of Ibrahim due to the position of this bayt (Surah Al-Hajj verse 26)
      that you shall not designate, authorities and deities besides Me (Surah Al-Hajj verse 26)
      Look at now- we have a rambunctious world of authorities that tell us we cannot elevate these ayaat  to this level of understanding. OK- if we cannot do that, tell these people who have an iron clad hand over Makkah and Al-Madinah to do it. If you don’t want us to understand the ayaat, then bring us your explanation of these ayaat. Why do you remain silent about Makkah and the Hajj when these ayaat are sparkling in the book of Allah?
      and cleanse purify (Allah is saying) My house for those who are in motion around it, and those who are in stand still towards it, in contemplation, and those who are expressing their affirmation and devotion in their ruku’ and sujud. (Surah Al-Hajj verse 26)
      The three conditions in which human beings find themselves when they are there should not be polluted by these multi authoritarians. They say they are people of tawhid, they are joking. They are fooling the listeners. These are not people of tawhid what they accept man’s authority over them. Allah is telling Ibrahim and by extension you and me that this place should be decontaminated from these types of people who are closer to shirk than they are to tawhid. Then Allah says
      And go public by summoning people during this time of Hajj. When this public call goes out for this occasion of the Hajj, they will come to you in Makkah as pedestrians, walking on their feet or they will come to you within swift transportation;They come from distant and far away enclaves so that they can witness and see benefits for their own selves and so that they can invoke Allah’s name in these certain days pertaining to the sustenance that comes to them through the meat of the animals that are available to them therefore they are commanded to feed the destitute, the desperate(and) the poverty stricken (Surah Al-Hajj verse 25-27)
      (It’s) as if today the adhan or call for the Hajj is private. There’s no public announcement that everyone can hear and understand. We have to go through channels and tunnels to get to the Hajj. What a difference in today’s world with all these restrictions (and) all of these false laws.  Allah’s saying when this public call goes out for this occasion of the Hajj
      they will come to you in Makkah as pedestrians, walking on their feet or they will come to you within swift transportation (Surah Al-Hajj verse 27)
      That’s not the case now. There are so many huddles and barriers (that) even with the fastest, most efficient means of transportation, they will not be able to make it to the Hajj. Even though Allah is telling us the way or road is open to anyone who wants to respond even if they have to go there walking or (another definition of dhaamir- because dhaamir literally means a lean mode that carries a person from one place to another. Whether it’s a horse, stallion or camel- if it is lean it can move fast; but another understanding of dhaamir is it is weak. If this is the meaning of dhaamir and we add it to rijalan- pedestrians- (the) meaning (is) they will struggle to come to the Hajj, meaning the only impediment is their own inability not someone imposing on us inabilities. Allah speaks with one meaning and these usurpers of Makkah and Al-Madinah speaking with another meaning.
      They come from distant and far away enclaves so that they can witness and see benefits for their own selves and so that they can invoke Allah’s name in these certain days pertaining to the sustenance that comes to them through the meat of the animals that are available to them (Surah Al-Hajj verse 27)
      We’re speaking about nourishment, poverty and survival- this is what the ayah is saying, but we cannot speak these words (or) explain this ayah in the Hajj because they say “you are bringing controversial issues to the Hajj.” We’re not bringing anything controversial; we are bringing the words of Allah with the book of Allah to this Hajj because we are the creatures and creation of Allah and we bind to together. Can we speak about the food, agriculture, produce, meat and proteins that will sustain life there?
      therefore they are commanded to feed the destitute, the desperate(and) the poverty stricken (Surah Al-Hajj verse 27)
      Are we supposed to think who these people are? According to Allah- yes; according to the minions in Makkah and Al-Madinah who control and run the place with their militaries- no.

      (This happened during the Hajj of 2006 and is happening again during the Hajj of 2007- so it’s reproduced within it’s original time-frame because it’s identically applicable)
      Brothers and sisters; Muslims on a way or approaching Allah and in the company of Allah…
      As is the case most of the times, the pilgrims are supposed to be standing on Mount Arafat tomorrow, not today. The government in Saudi Arabia had  over a week to determine when the month of Dhul Hijjah began. By any definition or any fiqhi school of thought, today is not the 9th of Dhul Hijjah, it is the 8th of Dhil Hijjah, therefore these powers that be are forcing the Hujjaj to do the right thing on the wrong day and by extension they are forcing others to follow suit. This erroneous and falsified designation of Yaum Arafat to be on the 8th instead of the 9th of Dhil Hijjah and the Eid on the 9th instead of the 10th is an issue (at least a beginner) by which any Muslim anywhere can bring to the attention of those who are acting like dictators and tyrants when they make decisions that impact more than 2billion Muslims in the world. We understand that this Masjid is going to have the Eid tomorrow. As is the case every year, knowing that that is the wrong day we shall- bi mashiatillah- be here tomorrow to go through the motions of salat al-eid knowing that salaat ul-eid is due not tomorrow, Saturday, but the day after tomorrow, Sunday, to try our best to communicate through whatever rituals are left the truth about this matter and the results, consequences and outcome belongs to Allah.