Malayalam Unicode TTF

  • nvshaji
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 23, 2002
      Hi,

      I have made a unicode ttf for malayalam, hacked from the malayalam tex
      archive font. It is here:

      http://members.verizon.net/~vze3j3t3/malayalam.ttf

      Shaji
    • nvshaji
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 23, 2002
        and a screenshot of netscape6 and yudit displaying malayalam at
        http://members.verizon.net/~vze3j3t3/malayalam.png
      • Rajkumar S.
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 25, 2002
          On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, baiju m wrote:

          > What will be the problem, should I make any change in X
          > configuration file.

          No it is not required.

          > Is it required Yudit itself to display this font?

          Just copy the file to /usr/share/yudit/fonts/, add the font name to
          ~/.yudit/yudit.properties - yudit.font.TrueType=xx.ttf, and select
          TrueType as the font.

          A phonetic keyboard layout is also included for malayalam in yudit.
          Please read the README.yudit for any clarification.

          raj
        • baiju m
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 26, 2002
            --- nvshaji <nvshaji@...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > I have made a unicode ttf for malayalam, hacked from
            > the malayalam tex
            > archive font. It is here:
            >
            > http://members.verizon.net/~vze3j3t3/malayalam.ttf

            I tried to install this font but I failed. I copied
            the
            file to /usr/share/fonts/default/TrueType/ (I used to
            put my TTF files in this directory)
            and $mkfontdir then restarted the X.
            I tried $xset fp+ command too. But font doesn't
            displayed in font dispalyers of GNOME and KDE.
            I checked fonts.dir in that directory. But there
            were no contents. The I tried $ttmkfdir > fonts.dir
            Then fonts.dir showed all directory except this one.
            What will be the problem, should I make any change
            in X configuration file. Is it required Yudit itself
            to display this font?

            Regards,
            Baiju M

            Yahoo! Movies - coverage of the 74th Academy Awards´┐Ż
            http://movies.yahoo.com/
          • nvshaji
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 26, 2002
              --- In malayalamlinux@y..., baiju m <malayalamlinux@y...> wrote:

              > --- nvshaji <nvshaji@n...> wrote:
              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > I have made a unicode ttf for malayalam, hacked from
              > > the malayalam tex
              > > archive font. It is here:
              > >
              > > http://members.verizon.net/~vze3j3t3/malayalam.ttf
              >
              > I tried to install this font but I failed. I copied
              > the
              > file to /usr/share/fonts/default/TrueType/ (I used to
              > put my TTF files in this directory)
              > and $mkfontdir then restarted the X.
              > I tried $xset fp+ command too. But font doesn't
              > displayed in font dispalyers of GNOME and KDE.
              > I checked fonts.dir in that directory. But there
              > were no contents. The I tried $ttmkfdir > fonts.dir
              > Then fonts.dir showed all directory except this one.

              It looks like your ttmkfdir is not able to decode the font(it does
              work on my box - debian sid). What you can do is to add the following
              line in your fonts.dir, increment the no of fonts(the first line of
              fonts.dir) by one.

              malayalam.ttf -misc-malayalam-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1

              Run "xset fp rehash". Xserver should be able to use the font. I have
              not seen anything in GNOME which could display 2byte fonts correctly,
              I am not familiar with KDE. Yudit does not use the font from xserver,
              you can set it up as Raj described. Raj is going to work on making
              this font to be able to display the complete character set of
              Malayalam. BTW, I have removed the font from the server, as you can
              access it from malayalamlinux.sf.net. And the credit for the font
              should go to Jeroen Hellingman <jehe@...>, who developed the
              wonderful TeX package for malayalam. He has agreed for distribution of
              these fonts under GPL. If anyone is interested in playing with
              malayalam fonts, the ".sfd"s for around 9 fonts are in

              http://members.verizon.net/~vze3j3t3/texfonts.tar.bz2

              You can use pfaedit to edit them.

              Shaji