wait a sec.

  • cibu
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2002
      Hi,

      baiju, you invitation to join this group was send to my hotmail id.
      it was full of spam mails. last day i decided to clean it up and saw
      your mail. thanks.

      let me introduce me... i am the author of varamozhi
      (varamozhi.sourceforge.net) - a transliteration code generator.

      before proceeding further, the objectives should be clear. after
      going through many mails in this group, i feel, it is getting a linux
      desktop with malayalam menus, description etc. is that required ? who
      is the target audience ? most of the literates in kerala can read
      minimal english (unlike china or japan may be). they can read the
      word 'file' whether it is written in malayalam or english. so what is
      the point...? (sorry for being rude)

      transliteration is another thing. my ideas about them is written in
      http://varamozhi.sourceforge.net/tutorial.html

      btw, there is a free malalyalam type1 font by jeroen hellingman.
      vijil of iit bombay (vijil at it.iitb.ernet.in) showed me that,
      hellingman's font will infact work. currently vijil is working on
      malayalam ocr(optical character recognition). more over, as i
      mentioned in my page, font is not a copyrightable object as per us
      law. so you can use any font which is available. now X renders ttf.
      so people should not be worried about it. may be there is a
      convertion tool to get opentype font. in any case, designing a font
      for malayalam is not an easy task - at least with metafont. it is
      better done by adopting an exisiting one.

      best wishes,
      cibu