Current Status

  • Michael Pechner
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 7, 2010
      It is early March and the Maker faire is less than 3 months away.

      We are looking for a few volunteers. Paara is going to do an
      Oscilloscope demonstration for the Maker Faire. Kristen is heading up
      this effort. She will need a couple of people who can explain
      oscilloscopes to both adults who have an understanding of electronics
      as well as kids with no background.

      With the time left, stuff happens. If someone has to drop out, I'll
      send a notice asking for a replacement.

      Kit Blanke and Dave Wolfe are looking into doing an Earth Moon Bounce
      on Friday afternoon as a demonstration for the Makers.

      Once we have the volunteers for the oscilloscope demonstration, I'll
      send out the info forms as I did last year. This form is VERY
      important, since it let me know what size shirt to order for you. :-D
      So expect an email by the first week in April that I will need then
      returned pretty fast.

      We currently have 25 volunteers and will have a couple more soon for
      the Oscilloscope demonstration.

      I want to thank everyone for volunteering.

      The one thing I ask is bring your camera and take plenty of photos
      around the booth as well as the faire itself. I realized that as
      opposed to the previous two years, I took very few pictures last year.

      --
      Michael Pechner
      NE6RD - Amateur Extra
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 7, 2010
        Hi,

        I will be working SSTV, but if you need a quick swap, as a retired engineer I can do a back up for the O-Scope.

        When the time comes, you can pick one chair for me.

        Best Regards,

        AD6EC

[...]

        mikey@mikey. com

        Have A Nice Day
      • Michael P
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 28, 2010
          I just send out the information forms to all who volunteered.

          Everything is moving forward. Mark Meltzer, AF6IM, and myself will by giving a talk at the Maker Faire to talk about parachute mobile, the devices we are attaching to Mark and Mike and the ata we are collecting.

          Paara will be giving a demonstration on how oscilloscopes work. Kristen McInyre, K6WX and Leigh Klotz, WA5ZNU, are heading this up. Bernard Van Haecke, KI6TSF, will be demonstrating SSTV. He has SSTV and APRS combining into a since transmission and the image showing on google maps.

          Jon Turing,K6OK, will be leading the APRS demonstration effort. We will feature the Parachute Mobile gear.

          Kit Blanke,WA6PWW , and Dave Wolfe, AA6XV, will be giving a demonstration Friday evening on EME to the maker faire attendees.

          I have asked the tham leads to get together with their teams to make sure every one is on the same page.

          I met with the Maker Faire Organizers, Dale Dougherty and Sherry Huss this past Saturday at the open make event at the Exploratorium. I gave them warning about Kit and Dave antenna. Also Dale is using the image from Mark's Parachute Mobile jump APRS data displayed on Google Earth in a meeting he is having at Google this week.

          So all is good. We will have a blast.
        • Scott Miller
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
            Would there be room for a static display of a balloon payload or two?
            I've got my new compact tracker (soon with SSTV option) to show, and if
            I don't launch it by then, a bigger one with a digital camcorder. I've
            got some old 300 gram balloons that could be inflated with air for
            display purposes.

            Scott
            N1VG

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
              The static display would be very cool. I wrote the other email so you and Greg can talk since he has a booth at the faire showing balloon flight using ham radio gear.

              Does the unit do the SSTV/APRS transmission that Bernard's gear will do? He is using an opentracker+ for the tnc in his SSTV dem at the faire.

              Also, when you are ready for testing, we can strap a unit to Mike or Mark for use during a Parachute Mobile jump. There should be at least one between now and the Makers Faire.

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
                Indoors would definitely be best for the display. Even a 300-gram
                balloon is going to want to bounce around a lot in the wind. It'd be
                easiest to just hang it from the ceiling inside, just to illustrate that
                it's a balloon payload and to grab people's attention.

                The SSTV thing will be reusing code from the unit I demoed last year, so
                it'll do Robot 36 and Scottie 1 and 2. Doing that on a parachute jump
                might be fun, if you can tolerate the extra RFI.

                The current board layout would be kind of a pain to shoehorn the camera
                onto, so I'll probably do another, and probably rework the battery setup
                at the same time.

                Scott

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
                  When you get there Thursday or Friday, we can figure out how to load it down.  How much lift does it have.

                  Let me or Mark,AF6IM, know off list when you want to have us use one for Parachute Mobile.  In fact Mark has another use in mind for the small aprs unit, so drop him an email.

                  Michael P wrote:
                  > The static display would be very cool. I wrote the other email so you and Greg can talk since he has a booth at the faire showing balloon flight using ham radio gear.
                  >
                  > Does the unit do the SSTV/APRS transmission that Bernard's gear will do? He is using an opentracker+ for the tnc in his SSTV dem at the faire.
                  >
                  > Also, when you are ready for testing, we can strap a unit to Mike or Mark for use during a Parachute Mobile jump. There should be at least one between now and the Makers Faire.
                  >
                  > --- In maker_faire_hams@yahoogroups.com, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Would there be room for a static display of a balloon payload or two?
                  >> I've got my new compact tracker (soon with SSTV option) to show, and if
                  >> I don't launch it by then, a bigger one with a digital camcorder. I've
                  >> got some old 300 gram balloons that could be inflated with air for
                  >> display purposes.
                  >>
                  >> Scott
                  >> N1VG
                  >>
                  >> Michael P wrote:
                  >> > I just send out the information forms to all who volunteered.
                  >> >
                  >> > Everything is moving forward. Mark Meltzer, AF6IM, and myself will by giving a talk at the Maker Faire to talk about parachute mobile, the devices we are attaching to Mark and Mike and the ata we are collecting.
                  >> >
                  >> > Paara will be giving a demonstration on how oscilloscopes work. Kristen McInyre, K6WX and Leigh Klotz, WA5ZNU, are heading this up. Bernard Van Haecke, KI6TSF, will be demonstrating SSTV. He has SSTV and APRS combining into a since transmission and the image showing on google maps.
                  >> >
                  >> > Jon Turing,K6OK, will be leading the APRS demonstration effort. We will feature the Parachute Mobile gear.
                  >> >
                  >> > Kit Blanke,WA6PWW , and Dave Wolfe, AA6XV, will be giving a demonstration Friday evening on EME to the maker faire attendees.
                  >> >
                  >> > I have asked the tham leads to get together with their teams to make sure every one is on the same page.
                  >> >
                  >> > I met with the Maker Faire Organizers, Dale Dougherty and Sherry Huss this past Saturday at the open make event at the Exploratorium. I gave them warning about Kit and Dave antenna. Also Dale is using the image from Mark's Parachute Mobile jump APRS data displayed on Google Earth in a meeting he is having at Google this week.
                  >> >
                  >> > So all is good. We will have a blast.

                  Michael Pechner
                  NE6RD - Amateur Extra
                  mikey@...

                • William Dale
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
                    I recommend you partly fill the balloon with He and fill the rest with air.  It will have some lift to support itself but not enough to get in trouble.   Then you don't have to "hang" it.

                    Have you thought about doing a launch from the Faire?  You could get some participation from the attendees in some way?

                    --
                    William Dale, N2RHV

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
                      That is a great idea, especially if the booth was getting the APRS and SSTV transmissions. But unless someone volunteers, I don't have the bandwidth to organize the team.

                      We need a few people to run chase cars as well as the team to ready and launch the balloon. Because of the possible hazards, I am not sure of the faire grounds is a good starting location for a launch. But, I've never Done a launch. I could be wrong.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
                        There is the problem of being in the SFO landing flight path to the East if launched from the Faire.   Well, just a thought.

                        Lots of fun with the balloon flight Saturday.

                        --
                        William Dale, N2RHV

                        That is a great idea, especially if the booth was getting the APRS and SSTV transmissions. But unless someone volunteers, I don't have the bandwidth to organize the team.

                        We need a few people to run chase cars as well as the team to ready and launch the balloon. Because of the possible hazards, I am not sure of the faire grounds is a good starting location for a launch. But, I've never Done a launch. I could be wrong.

                        --- In maker_faire_ hams@yahoogroups .com, William Dale <n2rhv@...> wrote:

                        > I recommend you partly fill the balloon with He and fill the rest with air. It will have some lift to support itself but not enough to get in trouble. Then you don't have to "hang" it.
                        >
                        > Have you thought about doing a launch from the Faire? You could get some participation from the attendees in some way?
                        >
                        > --
                        > William Dale, N2RHV
                        >

                        > ____________ _________ _________ __

                      • Mr Art Fluter
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
                          All
                          The balloon sounds great but remember it gets pretty windy in the afternoon and into the early evening.
                          Art
                          KI6GYY

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
                            I think even indoors I wouldn't want it free-floating. My R/C blimp
                            blows all over the place even in a slight breeze from ventilation.

                            Scott

                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 30
                              Here is where we are at.
                              I only have 5 people signed up for Saturday.

                              I am posting to Facebook, Google+ and Twitter each day.  I am making sure my posted wind up on the makerfaire pages/streams.

                              If by next Sunday evening we have no signups for Sunday, I'll cancel.  With only 5 people for Saturday,  I won't be able to justify 9 volunteers.  Might ask for a couple of people to volunteer to not volunteer.

                              This sucks, but hopefully we will have more people sign up this week.  So get the word out.

                              Parking:
                              There is no onsite parking.  Shuttle will not start until 9AM.  Now, they hopefully will designate one parking lot for makers where early shuttles will get you on site before 8AM.

                              Otherwise, we will have to pick a parking lot to meet at. Drop people off, then someone will have to walk back.  I can get 3 others in my car.

                              So, print out the hand out http://t.co/sMSDd72Kyh and post it.  We need more people to take the test.
                              Post the link on what ever mailing list, social media you have access to.

                              --
                              Michael Pechner
                              NE6RD - Amateur Extra