Getting rid of ICE errors

  • Julian Onions
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 6, 2004
      I'm getting ICE validation errors like
      ICE18 ERROR KeyPath for Component: 'CDeskTop' is Directory:
      'DesktopFolder'. The Directory/Component pair must be listed in the
      CreateFolders table.
      How do I persuade it to add the already defined DesktopFolder to the
      CreateFolders table?

      I'm using
      <$Component "CDeskTop" Create="Y" Directory_="[DesktopFolder]">
      If I try to redefine the [DesktopFolder] with a
      <$DirectoryTree Key="DESKTOPDIR" Dir="[DesktopFolder]" Make="Y">
      I get an error. I presume somehow I need to add it to the createfolder table
      for the component.

      Thanks, (Oh and thanks for the /Component change too!)
      Julian.
    • Dennis Bareis
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 6, 2004
        Hi,

        On 6 Jan 2004 at 21:50, Julian Onions wrote:

        > I'm getting ICE validation errors like
        > ICE18 ERROR KeyPath for Component: 'CDeskTop' is Directory:
        > 'DesktopFolder'. The Directory/Component pair must be listed in the
        > CreateFolders table. How do I persuade it to add the already defined
        > DesktopFolder to the CreateFolders table?
        >
        > I'm using
        > <$Component "CDeskTop" Create="Y" Directory_="[DesktopFolder]"> If I
        > try to redefine the [DesktopFolder] with a <$DirectoryTree
        > Key="DESKTOPDIR" Dir="[DesktopFolder]" Make="Y"> I get an error.
        > I presume somehow I need to add it to the createfolder table for the
        > component.

        You could just use Table/Row macros on the CreateFolder table but you
        can also use LM or CU parameters on the component command to create a
        unique registry based keypath, I assume you are creating shortcuts,
        if you were adding files/registry one of those could become the
        components keypath.

        Bye,
        Dennis
        ----------------------------
        Dennis Bareis (dbareis@...)
        Melbourne, AUSTRALIA.

        http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~dbareis/index.htm

        - Contains heaps of my own FREE software (OS/2, Windows & Linux):
        * PPWIZARD, HTML preprocessor (or rexx/Javascript etc)
        #define, #include, #import, #if and many other commands.
        Powerful macros, programmable, imports SQL, auto tag examples,
        Tested on OS/2, Windows, DOS & Linux (and more).
        * Pure REXX code for CRC16 & CRC32 routines.
        - Heaps of COMMENTED OS/2, HTML, Java and other links
        ----------------------------
      • Julian Onions
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 7, 2004
          Dennis Bareis wrote:

          >Hi,
          >
          >You could just use Table/Row macros on the CreateFolder table but you
          >can also use LM or CU parameters on the component command to create a
          >unique registry based keypath, I assume you are creating shortcuts,
          >if you were adding files/registry one of those could become the
          >components keypath.

          Thanks - I'll try the LM/CU trick. I've only the vaguest idea what they
          do though. Time for some more reading.

          Another similar ICE error I get with an otherwise empty directory that
          contains only subdirectories.
          I think this has the MAKE and Create options on the directorytree macro,
          but validation still seems to complain,
          probably because the Component contains no files?

          Oh - another issue. Is it possible to arrange for a <$Files ...> to be
          able to match no files?
          I'd like the option to pick up files from a directory, that doesn't have
          any in it yet, but probably will do sometime.

          Julian.
        • Dennis Bareis
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 7, 2004
            Hi,

            On 7 Jan 2004 at 15:38, Julian Onions wrote:>

            > Another similar ICE error I get with an otherwise empty directory that
            > contains only subdirectories. I think this has the MAKE and Create
            > options on the directorytree macro, but validation still seems to
            > complain, probably because the Component contains no files?

            You might have to use the MAKE/REMOVE parameters on each bit, perhaps
            the command should do this...

            > Oh - another issue. Is it possible to arrange for a <$Files ...> to be
            > able to match no files? I'd like the option to pick up files from a
            > directory, that doesn't have any in it yet, but probably will do
            > sometime.

            I have added a "NONEOK" parameter, set to "Y", I have uploaded the
            relevant file to the MAKEMSI's groups "files" area.

            Bye,
            Dennis
            ----------------------------

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 8, 2004

              Another similar ICE error I get with an otherwise empty directory that
              contains only subdirectories. I think this has the MAKE and Create
              options on the directorytree macro, but validation still seems to
              complain, probably because the Component contains no files?

              You might have to use the MAKE/REMOVE parameters on each bit, perhaps
              the command should do this...

              I found the CU/LM stuff works for this too, so thats solved it. Its now ICE free!
              I'm still a little confused by this, does setting CU create some key in the registry,
              if so where abouts?
              Oh - another issue. Is it possible to arrange for a <$Files ...> to be
              able to match no files? I'd like the option to pick up files from a
              directory, that doesn't have any in it yet, but probably will do
              sometime.

              I have added a "NONEOK" parameter, set to "Y", I have uploaded the
              relevant file to the MAKEMSI's groups "files" area.

              Great - thanks!

              Julian.

            • Dennis Bareis
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 8, 2004
                Hi,

                On 8 Jan 2004 at 8:20, Julian Onions wrote:

                > You might have to use the MAKE/REMOVE parameters on each bit,
                > perhaps the command should do this...
                >
                > I found the CU/LM stuff works for this too, so thats solved it. Its
                > now ICE free! I'm still a little confused by this, does setting CU
                > create some key in the registry, if so where abouts?

                Yes, a keypath is used to flag whether or not a component is
                installed, its location is configurable, default being:

                #define? KEYPATH_REGISTRY_KEY
                Software\KeyPaths\<$ProdInfo.ProductName>\<$ProductVersion>

                Bye,
                Dennis
                ----------------------------

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 23, 2004
                  Don't know if anyones interested, but I wrote a couple of really small
                  macros (which will probably turn Dennis's stomach on first sight - but
                  I'm learning!) that help you to automate the process of making
                  autorun'able CD's.

                  They basically copy some needed files into the MSI directory, build a
                  small autorun.inf and patch the setup.exe to invoke the right MSI file
                  (using the SDK setup.exe and msistuff tools).
                  If anyone is interested I can post them, but they'll probably need some
                  extensions for maximum portability.

                  I've also got a pre-build zip macro that uses the winzip command line
                  tools to build a ZIP file prior to MSI packaging it. Probably not of so
                  much interest.

                  Julian.
                • Dennis Bareis
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 23, 2004
                    Hi,

                    If you can supply the files in a zip or MSI along with a sample
                    script to use them and any doco etc I could make any user
                    contributions available from my site or if you have your own site I
                    am hapy to link to it.

                    Bye,
                    Dennis

                    ----------------------------

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 24, 2004
                      Well here is the autorun set of macros, the last line being an example of
                      use. Its pretty simple, but requires some bits from the platform SDK to run.
                      I can send you those if you want.
                      They are documented at the top of the file.

                      Julian.
                    • Dennis Bareis
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 25, 2004
                        Hi,

                        On 24 Jan 2004 at 22:25, Julian Onions wrote:

                        > Well here is the autorun set of macros, the last line being an example
                        > of use. Its pretty simple, but requires some bits from the platform
                        > SDK to run. I can send you those if you want. They are documented at
                        > the top of the file.
                        >
                        > Julian.

                        Please have a look at:

                        http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~dbareis/makemsi/user_contributions.htm

                        It could probably use a bit more detail about exactly what it does
                        and what steps have already been performed but still should be
                        useful.

                        Thanks,
                        Dennis