greetings from an old (but still young) friend

  • Eric Andræ
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2003
      Dear friends far away, but not forgotten,
      In the midst of this Easter season of resurrection and life, it came as a
      sudden shock to read the sad and disturbing news in section A of the
      Pittsburgh Post-Gazette yesterday and on the AP wire (below) today.
      As many of you recall, my father, Rev. Hans Andrae, served the Northern
      Maine Lutheran Parish from Oct. 1979 to Oct. 1985. We lived in the parsonage
      next to Gustaf Adolph. I was 8 when we arrived, and 14 when we moved to the
      Pittsburgh area, where I now serve as campus pastor for the LCMS in the
      Oakland neighborhood of the city.
      I remember Reid Morrill well--a kind man and friendly neighbor; as my father
      said, "a real brother in Christ." I remember one summer I enjoyed feeding
      their rabbits while they were gone on vacation.
      How is Erich Margeson doing? Christian, his brother, was my best friend
      those years in Maine and I spent many days and nights out in Westmanland
      with the wonderful Margeson family.
      My prayers and thoughts are with you.
      In the Lord of Life,
      Eric

      Pastor Eric Robert Andr�, VDM +
      5700 Bunkerhill St. #1801, Pgh. (Highland Park), PA 15206. 412-441-2487

      Church poisoning shocks town--by Kevin Wack (AP)

      NEW SWEDEN, Maine (May 2) - Residents of this potato farming community pride
      themselves on the safety of their close-knit town, many boasting that they
      don't leave their house doors locked at night.

      Now many are scared and shocked after a fatal arsenic poisoning at a church
      function.

      Homicide investigators said arsenic-laced coffee served at the church
      reception following Sunday's service killed a 78-year-old man and made
      several others sick.

      ``I just can't believe any of it. We watch TV and things like this happen,''
      said Pam Landeen, whose uncle, Dale Anderson, was in critical condition at a
      Bangor hospital. ``When something actually happens to you, it's hard to
      believe.''

      State police continued interviewing members of the congregation in the
      community of about 650 people, including more than two dozen who had coffee
      and baked goods at the church that has long symbolized the cultural fabric
      of a town settled by Swedish immigrants in the 1800s.

      Residents had held on to hopes until Wednesday that the poisonings would
      turn out to be accidental, said Alton Ketch. Told that it was a homicide, he
      said, ``That's what we were scared of.''

      Following the death of Walter Reid Morrill, officials said the investigation
      ``has produced no evidence that ... the arsenic was introduced into the
      brewed coffee accidentally.''

      Two other members of the Gustaf Adolph Lutheran Church in New Sweden
      remained in critical condition Thursday, while the condition of a third was
      upgraded from critical to serious.

      The case was declared a homicide Thursday after laboratory tests confirmed
      that the source of arsenic was in the brewed coffee. Arsenic also was
      confirmed in samples from the victims, said Stephen McCausland, spokesman
      for the Maine Public Safety Department.

      McCausland said he did not know whether the tan stucco church, which sits on
      top of a hill near a vacant parsonage, was locked before last weekend's
      incident. But state police do know who had access to the building, he said.

      ``This case remains wide open,'' he said acknowledging that he did not know
      whether investigators had discovered any disagreements among members of the
      congregation.

      Arsenic poisoning causes skin sores, organ injuries and has been linked to
      cancers of the skin, lung, liver, bladder and pancreas. It is generally
      odorless and tasteless.

      Chief investigator Lt. Dennis Appleton, said he hopes residents being
      questioned by police would not dismiss a disagreement they might be aware of
      as too irrelevant to mention.

      ``I think my investigators and my interviewers can convince people that even
      the smallest thing maybe should be brought to our attention and we should
      evaluate that,'' Appleton said.

      Several people reported feeling sick after last weekend's reception.
      Morrill, a longtime member of the congregation who lived next to the church
      and acted as a caretaker and head usher, died early Monday.

      ``We don't know what the motive is. We don't know who was responsible for
      doing this, but our investigators' focus now is to find answers to those
      questions,'' McCausland said.

      05/02/03 03:21 EDT

    • Debbie Blanchette
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2003
        Dear Eric,
        To think that this kid used to drive me crazy whenever I substituted for
        Mrs. Espling!
        Thanks so much for thinking of us... I have more bad news for you. Danny
        Bondeson died this evening from a gunshot. We don't know how or why....just
        more sadness for all of us.
        Please keep all of us in your prayers tonight... love to all of the
        Andraes and your wife.

        Debbie Blanchette

        maineswedishcolony@yahoogroups.com
        > Report problems to Bill Duncan, duncan@.... This list is
        "unmoderated," sorry if unwanted messages slip through. To unsubscribe, send
        email: