Idea for radio story

  • adam allington
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 10, 2003
      Hello,

      My name is Adam Allington and I am a radio student at
      the Salt Institute for Documentary Field Studies in
      Portland.

      I am contacting the Swedish Colony email group today
      to tap everyones collective knowlege about the Swedish
      Communities of Aroostook County. I am currently
      researchinh topics for my upcomming field project in
      Documentary Radio to be aired at a later date on Maine
      Public Radio.

      I have lived in Sweden myself for several years and
      am very interested in Scandinavian culture and its
      influences on communities here in America.

      I am primarily looking for a "people piece" A story
      about one person or family that in some way imparts
      some unique aspect of your comunity to those who have
      never been there.

      One thing that I am very keen on researching is
      Aquavit, or Swedish Schnapps and the role that it
      plays in Swedish tradional/culinary life. My host
      grand parents in Sweden made their own Schnapps and
      the process has always been very interesting to me.
      Is there anyone in the county who still makes
      tradional schnapps?? There must be...

      Other topics of interest would be such things as:
      Interesting local characters, people who are a complet
      product of your unique community. Maybe even
      linguistic influences if there are any.

      As Portland is very far away from Aroostook, I am
      trying to get a few ideas before I make the long
      drive. Since the subject or subjects who I end up
      interviewing will probably not have email access
      (although the might) I would be very grateful for any
      tips and/or information that anyone might be able to
      give me.

      Thank you all very much for your time.

      Warm Regards,

      Adam Allington

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Debbie
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 11, 2003
        Dear Mr. Allington,
        You should consider Dan Olson from New Sweden. although not a native,
        he's married to a New Sweden girl and is a wealth of information. We also
        are celebrating Midsummer June 21 -22 . Anyway, its a Saturday and Sunday.
        While my married name is French, I would also be happy to help you in
        any way. Local characters include Stan's home of the ten cent coffee, Ralph
        Ostlund, who at the age of 70 + years still skiis.
        Brenda Jepson who is also a member of this group, teaches at Caribou
        High ?School where her video production class has produced at least 4 videos
        about New Sweden and surrounding areas. She would also be a good contact
        person.
        Please let me know what else I can do for you. Anything to showcase this
        wonderful town we live in.

        Debbie

        simply send email to: <maineswedishcolony@yahoogroups.com>
        > Please let me know if you run into any problems with this service. Bill
        Duncan, <duncan@...> (personal email) Sorry about the sleazy

      • Kate
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 25 7:35 AM
          Adam and the Rest of the List,

          As a current, albeit simultaneously happy and reluctant, Portlander
          I hail from New Sweden. I'd be willing to help you out, esp. getting
          you up to New Sweden (anything to visit home!) for a weekend. Please
          feel free to contact me off-list, should you like about getting
          together.

          FOR THE REST OF THE LIST:
          I'm doing a paper (for the American and New England Studies master's
          program at USM) on New Sweden's Cultural Center (Bill, great map!)
          and wonder if there's any way that I could get into the Historical
          Society. I'd do it during the day and no heat needed, since I know
          that it's closed until late May.

          I wonder if there are minutes for the Historical Society meetings
          and, if there are, might I have a copy of the last year's notes? I'm
          very excited about the project and hope to continue working on it
          throughout my degree.

          Thanks!
          Kate
          (Quin-EASTER... Johnson Road, New Sweden and Wessex Street, Portland)
        • adam allington
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 25 1:07 PM
            Hello Kate,

            Thanks for responding to my post. I have already
            gotten my story about nordic skiing in the swedish
            colony in the bag.

            However, I will be going up to Houlton to interview
            someone about another story sometime in the near
            future.

            Let me know if you are interested

            Regards,
            adam