Re: [maineswedishcolony] World War I letters

  • Debbie
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
      Hi Jean,
      What a piece of history you have in these letters!!!! I just skimmed
      thru them and picked up on Fred Mahoney's name which would be my
      sister-in-laws father's name.
      Maybe it's because we're just getting older and realizing our parents aren't
      going to live forever that we now value these pieces so much more. These are
      priceless!!!!!

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002

        Hi Debbie,
        Thanks for the information about Fred Mahoney. That is just the type
        of thing I am hoping to find out!! The original box of Harry's
        letters contained many cards and holiday postcards. One of the
        cards,
        signed from the Mahoney Family, appears to be a thank you for your
        sympathy card (not dated)?
        Harry's letter of April 17, 1918 also refers to Barney Skidgel and
        also Byron Larby of Perham. The letter dated April 25, 1918 mentions
        Mrs. Nilander and Otto, the Ericson boy on the Abrahamson road (where
        is that?), Grover Wardwell, and someone named Dell? There are alot of
        people mentioned in other letters: Nov 29, 1914 and Feb 11, 1917
        Chester Ginn; Feb 6, 1916 Dan Skidgel (cut hand in the mill); Oct 9,
        1917 Ray Swanberg; Nov 8, 1917 Selander boys store; March 10, 1918
        Elmer Carlson, Mr. Field; June 16, 1918 Carl, new Blacksmith,
        Celander
        boys, Macerbies?
        I found an amazing website that gives alot of info about people in
        wars that were buried on foreign soil. Harry was buried at Meuse-
        Argonne Cemetery in France.<http://usabmc.com/>> -----
      • Debbie
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
          Jean, why don't you try calling Janet and Herbie Ketch from Woodland?
          They're really active in Woodland's Histroical Society and would know lots
          more about this area that I.
          Would you and Bill be interested in attending a (some) Midsummer
          meetings we will be having this month? We're always open to new people and
          new ideas. Even if you only come to the first meeting, tht would be great!
          Think about it and let me know!

          Debbie
          > Thanks for the information about Fred Mahoney. That is just the type
          > of thing I am hoping to find out!! The original box of Harry's
          > letters contained many cards and holiday postcards. One of the
          > cards,
          > signed from the Mahoney Family, appears to be a thank you for your
          > sympathy card (not dated)?
          > Harry's letter of April 17, 1918 also refers to Barney Skidgel and
          > also Byron Larby of Perham. The letter dated April 25, 1918 mentions
          > Mrs. Nilander and Otto, the Ericson boy on the Abrahamson road (where
          > is that?), Grover Wardwell, and someone named Dell? There are alot of
          > people mentioned in other letters: Nov 29, 1914 and Feb 11, 1917
          > Chester Ginn; Feb 6, 1916 Dan Skidgel (cut hand in the mill); Oct 9,
          > 1917 Ray Swanberg; Nov 8, 1917 Selander boys store; March 10, 1918
          > Elmer Carlson, Mr. Field; June 16, 1918 Carl, new Blacksmith,
          > Celander
          > boys, Macerbies?
          > I found an amazing website that gives alot of info about people in
          > wars that were buried on foreign soil. Harry was buried at Meuse-
          > Argonne Cemetery in France.<http://usabmc.com/>> -----

          > Please let me know if there you encournter any problems with this service.
          > Bill Duncan duncan@...

        • maineswedishcolony
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2002
            Debbie,
            Thanks for the invitation.
            We'd love to come!
            When do you plan to meet?

            -------
            Bill Duncan
            duncan@...

            --- In maineswedishcolony@y..., "Debbie" <newswede@m...>
            wrote:
            > Jean, why don't you try calling Janet and Herbie Ketch from
            Woodland?
            > They're really active in Woodland's Histroical Society and would
            know lots
            > more about this area that I.
            > Would you and Bill be interested in attending a (some)
            Midsummer
            > meetings we will be having this month? We're always open to
            new people and
            > new ideas. Even if you only come to the first meeting, tht would
            be great!
            > Think about it and let me know!

            [clipped previous messages}