World War I letters

  • jeanbduncan
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2001
      My great-uncle Harry Buzzell was killed in World War I. His mother
      Mary Thomas Buzzell saved all the letters that he sent home to Colby,
      Maine. I have transcribed the letters just as he wrote them. If
      anyone is interested, I have started a website (under construction)
      at:
      http://www.geocities.com/harrybuzzell/
      (Does anyone have information about any of the places or people that
      he mentions in Woodland?)
      Jean Duncan
    • Debbie
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
        Hi Jean,
        What a piece of history you have in these letters!!!! I just skimmed
        thru them and picked up on Fred Mahoney's name which would be my
        sister-in-laws father's name.
        Maybe it's because we're just getting older and realizing our parents aren't
        going to live forever that we now value these pieces so much more. These are
        priceless!!!!!

        > My great-uncle Harry Buzzell was killed in World War I. His mother
        > Mary Thomas Buzzell saved all the letters that he sent home to Colby,
        > Maine. I have transcribed the letters just as he wrote them. If
        > anyone is interested, I have started a website (under construction)
        > at:
        > http://www.geocities.com/harrybuzzell/
        > (Does anyone have information about any of the places or people that
        > he mentions in Woodland?)
        > Jean Duncan

        > Please let me know if there you encournter any problems with this service.
        > Bill Duncan duncan@...

      • jeanbduncan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002

          Hi Debbie,
          Thanks for the information about Fred Mahoney. That is just the type
          of thing I am hoping to find out!! The original box of Harry's
          letters contained many cards and holiday postcards. One of the
          cards,
          signed from the Mahoney Family, appears to be a thank you for your
          sympathy card (not dated)?
          Harry's letter of April 17, 1918 also refers to Barney Skidgel and
          also Byron Larby of Perham. The letter dated April 25, 1918 mentions
          Mrs. Nilander and Otto, the Ericson boy on the Abrahamson road (where
          is that?), Grover Wardwell, and someone named Dell? There are alot of
          people mentioned in other letters: Nov 29, 1914 and Feb 11, 1917
          Chester Ginn; Feb 6, 1916 Dan Skidgel (cut hand in the mill); Oct 9,
          1917 Ray Swanberg; Nov 8, 1917 Selander boys store; March 10, 1918
          Elmer Carlson, Mr. Field; June 16, 1918 Carl, new Blacksmith,
          Celander
          boys, Macerbies?
          I found an amazing website that gives alot of info about people in
          wars that were buried on foreign soil. Harry was buried at Meuse-
          Argonne Cemetery in France.<http://usabmc.com/>> -----
        • Debbie
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
            Jean, why don't you try calling Janet and Herbie Ketch from Woodland?
            They're really active in Woodland's Histroical Society and would know lots
            more about this area that I.
            Would you and Bill be interested in attending a (some) Midsummer
            meetings we will be having this month? We're always open to new people and
            new ideas. Even if you only come to the first meeting, tht would be great!
            Think about it and let me know!

            Debbie
            > Thanks for the information about Fred Mahoney. That is just the type
            > of thing I am hoping to find out!! The original box of Harry's
            > letters contained many cards and holiday postcards. One of the
            > cards,
            > signed from the Mahoney Family, appears to be a thank you for your
            > sympathy card (not dated)?
            > Harry's letter of April 17, 1918 also refers to Barney Skidgel and
            > also Byron Larby of Perham. The letter dated April 25, 1918 mentions
            > Mrs. Nilander and Otto, the Ericson boy on the Abrahamson road (where
            > is that?), Grover Wardwell, and someone named Dell? There are alot of
            > people mentioned in other letters: Nov 29, 1914 and Feb 11, 1917
            > Chester Ginn; Feb 6, 1916 Dan Skidgel (cut hand in the mill); Oct 9,
            > 1917 Ray Swanberg; Nov 8, 1917 Selander boys store; March 10, 1918
            > Elmer Carlson, Mr. Field; June 16, 1918 Carl, new Blacksmith,
            > Celander
            > boys, Macerbies?
            > I found an amazing website that gives alot of info about people in
            > wars that were buried on foreign soil. Harry was buried at Meuse-
            > Argonne Cemetery in France.<http://usabmc.com/>> -----

            > Please let me know if there you encournter any problems with this service.
            > Bill Duncan duncan@...

          • maineswedishcolony
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2002
              Debbie,
              Thanks for the invitation.
              We'd love to come!
              When do you plan to meet?

              -------
              Bill Duncan
              duncan@...

              --- In maineswedishcolony@y..., "Debbie" <newswede@m...>
              wrote:
              > Jean, why don't you try calling Janet and Herbie Ketch from
              Woodland?
              > They're really active in Woodland's Histroical Society and would
              know lots
              > more about this area that I.
              > Would you and Bill be interested in attending a (some)
              Midsummer
              > meetings we will be having this month? We're always open to
              new people and
              > new ideas. Even if you only come to the first meeting, tht would
              be great!
              > Think about it and let me know!

              [clipped previous messages}