Bangor Daily News article

  • Jean Duncan
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 10, 2002
      On Wednesday April 24, 2002 the Bangor Daily News will feature
      an article "Swedish Colony Preserves Heritage" by Kathryn
      Olmstead, editor/publisher of "Echoes" magazine and associate
      professor of journalism at UMaine. "In 1870, 22 men, 11 women,
      and 18 children left Gothenburg, Sweden, to make a new home in
      northern Maine. Today their descendants keep traditions alive with
      Swedish food, dances, costumes, music and holiday celebrations."
      (quoted from a mailing I received promoting the weeklong series
      April 22 to 26, 2002 in the BDN called "TRAVEL THE WORLD
      WITHOUT LEAVING MAINE: Stories of Maine Immigration")
      Also to be featured:
      Monday April 22 Maine's famous signpost celebrates our diversity
      Tuesday April 23 Franco-American Mainers
      Thursday April 25 Asian Mainers
      Friday April 26 African Mainers

      Happy reading!!
      Jean Duncan
    • Peter Bolster
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 13, 2002
        Jean,
        I hope you can be at the Meeting to discuss the Preservation of the
        Henderson School at 7PM
        Tuesday evening April 23rd at the Wood's Edge Gallery on Woodland Center
        Road. I have put it on your calendar, but if you could pass the word,
        especially to the Woodland Historical Society People. Thanks

        Peter Bolster