Re: [maineswedishcolony] Martha M Nelson & another Martha

  • jethompson33@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 18, 2012
      Hello :)

      My great-aunt's name was also Martha Nelson, but middle initial I (for Isabella), born in New Sweden about 1888 to Johan Nilsson and Pernilla (Nellie) Persdotter Nygren - of Svenstrop and Vasby (Malmo) Sweden respectively.

      "My" Martha was the sister to my grandmother, Carolina Albertina Nelson (Nillsson), born in New Sweden March 9, 1886.  Two older brothers - Philip and Emil - were born about 1876 and 1878 in Portland, Maine before the family moved to New Sweden.  Two other sisters, Ellen and Mary, were born in New Sweden in 1881 and 1883, respectively.

      Geneaology is amazing, isn't it!  It gives one a sense of continuity with preceding generations.

      Linda Thompson
      (Wayland, MA)

      In a message dated 3/18/2012 6:40:04 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, sylejmanikina@... writes:

      Hello!

      I have this information:

      Martha M. Nelson was born 1901 August 24 (according to what I've been told)
      and her father's name was Carl Nelson and Martha were born in Sweden. They
      emigrated to North America around 1901-1903.
      Martha (Martha Nelson of New Sweden) was later married to Carl David Anderson
      (born in Woodland, Maine).
      Carl David's parents were Carl Gustaf Anderson and Wilhelmina Josephina
      Svalstedt.

      What I wonder about is if anyone knows anything about Martha M. Nelson, and if
      I have the right birth date on her? Does anyone know anything about her family
      (father, mother, siblings)?

      Best regards,
      Christina Sylejmani

    • newswede@maine.rr.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 19, 2012
        I also had a Martha Nelson in my family! My mother's maiden name was Osell and this was an older sister. This Martha married
        a John Nelson from Stockholm, Maine. The Osell's came from Sweden in 1888.
        This is what makes genealogy
        ---- jethompson33@... wrote:

        > Hello :)
        >
        > My great-aunt's name was also Martha Nelson, but middle initial I (for
        > Isabella), born in New Sweden about 1888 to Johan Nilsson and Pernilla
        > (Nellie) Persdotter Nygren - of Svenstrop and Vasby (Malmo) Sweden respectively.
        >
        > "My" Martha was the sister to my grandmother, Carolina Albertina Nelson
        > (Nillsson), born in New Sweden March 9, 1886. Two older brothers - Philip
        > and Emil - were born about 1876 and 1878 in Portland, Maine before the family
        > moved to New Sweden. Two other sisters, Ellen and Mary, were born in New
        > Sweden in 1881 and 1883, respectively.
        >
        > Geneaology is amazing, isn't it! It gives one a sense of continuity with
        > preceding generations.
        >
        > Linda Thompson
        > (Wayland, MA)

        So Linda, are you related to Ralph Ostlund and Gerry Nelson from New Sweden?

        > In a message dated 3/18/2012 6:40:04 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        > sylejmanikina@... writes:
        >

        > Hello!
        >
        > I have this information:
        >
        > Martha M. Nelson was born 1901 August 24 (according to what I've been told)
        > and her father's name was Carl Nelson and Martha were born in Sweden. They
        > emigrated to North America around 1901-1903.
        > Martha (Martha Nelson of New Sweden) was later married to Carl David
        > Anderson
        > (born in Woodland, Maine).
        > Carl David's parents were Carl Gustaf Anderson and Wilhelmina Josephina
        > Svalstedt.
        >
        > What I wonder about is if anyone knows anything about Martha M. Nelson,
        > and if
        > I have the right birth date on her? Does anyone know anything about her
        > family
        > (father, mother, siblings)?
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Christina Sylejmani

      • sylejmanikina
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 19, 2012
          Yes, geneaology is indeed amazing.

          I am not sure that I have the right birth date on "my" Martha M Nelson but I have been told that she was born 1901 August 24 and that she was 2-3 years old when the family left Sweden and came to the USA.

          One of the children to Martha M. Nelson and Carl Gustaf Anderson was Viola Peary of Washburn.

          I would appreciate if anyone knew anything about Martha M. Nelson.

          Christina. S.

        • newswede@maine.rr.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 20, 2012
            ---- sylejmanikina <sylejmanikina@...> wrote:

            > Yes, geneaology is indeed amazing.
            >
            > I am not sure that I have the right birth date on "my" Martha M Nelson but I have been told that she was born 1901 August 24 and that she was 2-3 years old when the family left Sweden and came to the USA.
            >
            > One of the children to Martha M. Nelson and Carl Gustaf Anderson was Viola Peary of Washburn.
            >

            > I would appreciate if anyone knew anything about Martha M. Nelson.
            I'm going to pass on this information to a fellow genealogist who may be able to help you more.It may take awhile!! Have patience!