Re: [maineswedishcolony] Arndt

  • Carolyn Hildebrand
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 21, 2002
      Roy, my name is Carolyn Hildebrand. I am currently president of the New
      Sweden Historical Society. I will try to find out any info I can for you.
      I checked the list of Declarations of Intention and Naturalizations in New
      Sweden, ME 1873-1900. I found 3 Peter Nelson's-
      Peter H. Nelson WP, No. 7-249, born 1855, arrived 1871, naturalized
      March 4, 1880 (appears to have been unmarried at this time)
      Peter Nelson, WP, No. 10-78, arrived 1884, naturalized December 13,
      1894. Peter Nelson declared his intent in the Supreme Judiciary of
      Piscataquis County, Dover, ME Dec 27, 1891, at which time he stated his age
      was 30.
      Per W. Nelson, No. 10-130, born 1838, arrived 1883, naturalized Dec. 11,
      1899. Per Nelson born Jan 11, 1838, died June 12, 1903 is buried in the
      Westmanland Cemetery-Tombstone inscription in New Sweden.
      I obtained this info from the "Swedish American Genealogist" publication.
      There is a book printed in 1970 by Richard Hede called Maine's Swedish
      Colony. This is a thick blue book, not indexed, containing collections of
      info on the early settlers. I will try to go through this over the next few
      days to see if anything of interest to you might be in it. Did you check
      the town marriage records for Frida's parents names?
      I will get back to you...Carolyn
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 22, 2002
        When I read this original inquiry, I knew that if I called my father,
        he'd likely know something about the people involved. My father is John
        A. Larsson, born 1920 in New Sweden (grandson of L.P. Larsson, founder
        of the Jemtland store, referenced a couple of times on the Colony's
        webpage at http://www.geocities.com/mscguide/nshist.html
        <http://www.geocities.com/mscguide/nshist.html> ).

        Sure enough, my father remembers Peter Nelson quite well. In fact, he
        informs me that Peter Nelson gave him his first haircut! My father
        reports that there is at least one Nelson relative now living in the New
        Sweden area: Mrs. Frances Nelson, who was in my father's class at
        Jemtland grammar school. Mrs. Nelson married Ralph Nelson, who was a
        nephew of Peter. Yahoo shows a Frances Nelson with an addresss on
        Station Rd, New Sweden, ME 04762-0000.

        My father believes that Frida Arndt came to New Sweden from the midwest:
        Chicago, he would guess, but he isn't sure.

        Frida and Peter adopted a daughter, Virginia (called "Virgie"), who
        married Clarence Malm and lived in the New Sweden area for several
        years. After WWII, they moved to the "Little Maine" area of upstate New
        York, west of the Finger Lakes.

        Feel free to contact my father. He now lives at The Arbors, 403 West
        Center St., Apt 230, Manchester, CT 06040.

        David J. Larsson
        Marvin, Larsson, Henkin & Scheuritzel
        Centre Square West
        Suite 3510
        1500 Market Street
        Philadelphia, PA 19102
        office email: <mailto:dlarsson@...>
        dlarsson@...
        office phone: 215.656 4221
        > Rita/Andy Olson, I thank you for the reply, is there a listing of
        early
        Swedish Settlers in the area? I believe some of the settlers
        > originated from Sweden in the same area as my ancestors, thanks for
        any
        info, Roy Arndt.

        > Rita/Andy Olson wrote:
        >
        > > I have forwarded your message to someone, I hope, can give you some
        > > information.
        > > if they can't I'm sure they will forward it to someone also.......

      • Debbie
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 23, 2002
          Dear David,
          Isn't technology wonderful? I knew someone would answer this
          question........
          > When I read this original inquiry, I knew that if I called my father,
          > he'd likely know something about the people involved. My father is John
          > A. Larsson, born 1920 in New Sweden (grandson of L.P. Larsson, founder
          > of the Jemtland store, referenced a couple of times on the Colony's
          > webpage at http://www.geocities.com/mscguide/nshist.html
          > <http://www.geocities.com/mscguide/nshist.html> ).
          >
          > Sure enough, my father remembers Peter Nelson quite well. In fact, he
          > informs me that Peter Nelson gave him his first haircut! My father
          > reports that there is at least one Nelson relative now living in the New
          > Sweden area: Mrs. Frances Nelson, who was in my father's class at
          > Jemtland grammar school. Mrs. Nelson married Ralph Nelson, who was a
          > nephew of Peter. Yahoo shows a Frances Nelson with an addresss on
          > Station Rd, New Sweden, ME 04762-0000.
          >
          > My father believes that Frida Arndt came to New Sweden from the midwest:
          > Chicago, he would guess, but he isn't sure.
          >
          > Frida and Peter adopted a daughter, Virginia (called "Virgie"), who
          > married Clarence Malm and lived in the New Sweden area for several
          > years. After WWII, they moved to the "Little Maine" area of upstate New
          > York, west of the Finger Lakes.
          >
          > Feel free to contact my father. He now lives at The Arbors, 403 West
          > Center St., Apt 230, Manchester, CT 06040.
          >
          > David J. Larsson
          > Marvin, Larsson, Henkin & Scheuritzel
          > Centre Square West
          > Suite 3510
          > 1500 Market Street
          > Philadelphia, PA 19102
          > office email: <mailto:dlarsson@...>
          > dlarsson@...
          > office phone: 215.656 4221

        • dlarsson2002
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 5, 2002
            I believe that Mr. Arndt intended to post this on the message board: