Re: [maineswedishcolony] Re: Christmas in New Sweden - 1901.

  • William Anderson
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2010
      Bill,

      My brother, Dr. Phil Anderson of S. Berwick ME, sent me a copy of the Old Maine Swedish Farms video by Dan Olson for Christmas.  Really enjoyed it.  We have a number of old family photos and family stories to share, too.

      Best wishes for 2011.

      Bill

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2011
      Bill,

      Here is a translation.  It is always difficult to translate something that is intended to rhyme in the original.  Also, the reference to the Christmas goat is correct as I understand from old Swedish customs before Santa.

    • Bill@BillDuncan.info
      Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2011
        This translation came from William Anderson.
        Thought I'd just copy it into a message in case someone doesn't have
        MSWord.
        Thanks William!

        --Bill Duncan

        Bill,

        Here is a translation. It is always difficult to translate something
        that is intended to rhyme in the original. Also, the reference to
        the Christmas goat is correct as I understand from old Swedish
        customs before Santa.

        Bill

        Christmas in New Sweden
        1901
        by
        Paulina Malmquist

        To the end of the world, Santa in his travels came,
        and left a box, that was far from empty,
        but filled with much, both useful and fun alike,
        to father, mother and Milla, and neighbors as well.

        Now the box must opened be, 'cause restless curiosity is set aflame,
        and sugar tongs in daddy's strong hand were bent,
        With hammer and ax, noise and din is made,
        until in our sight, opened up, the box it stands.

        Now there life and stir, we were running back and forth,
        everything must be seen and all the verse also must be read,
        we read, we laughed, the packages we opened up,
        and string and paper all around were thrown.

        Now the neighbors were called, and to each was given his,
        a bigger surprise you could not have arranged,
        blankets came in a flurry up, gloves were put on,
        all the slippers were tried on, and the mittens too.

        The Christmas hamper opened were, the coffee kettle on the stove put on;
        a celebration bar none there were soon to be.
        But to describe for you with words that fit
        how the cookies taste, to that I am not fit.

        One thing for sure made no one sad,
        and nothing else but Milla's thimble that was,
        as when she the old one took and to the light held up,
        a dozen holes she counted in its rounded top.

        Yes, such a joy after all, a Christmas goat there was,
        'cause now dad and mum can walk with more than socks;
        And when Jack Frost Milla's fingers try to bite,
        disappointed he has to turn back, as she her mittens use.

        Then a lot of other things, both this and that, in the box we found,
        and how that will be received I presently can not tell;
        on Friday eve those things upon branches of the Christmas tree will
        be hung
        to bring joy to some little chap who nothing expected he'd get.