Re: [maineswedishcolony] Arndt

  • Roy Arndt
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 18, 2002
      Rita/Andy Olson, I thank you for the reply, is there a listing of early Swedish Settlers in the area? I believe some of the settlers
      originated from Sweden in the same area as my ancestors, thanks for any info, Roy Arndt.

      Rita/Andy Olson wrote:

      > I have forwarded your message to someone, I hope, can give you some
      > information.
      > if they can't I'm sure they will forward it to someone also.......

    • Carolyn Hildebrand
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 21, 2002
        Roy, my name is Carolyn Hildebrand. I am currently president of the New
        Sweden Historical Society. I will try to find out any info I can for you.
        I checked the list of Declarations of Intention and Naturalizations in New
        Sweden, ME 1873-1900. I found 3 Peter Nelson's-
        Peter H. Nelson WP, No. 7-249, born 1855, arrived 1871, naturalized
        March 4, 1880 (appears to have been unmarried at this time)
        Peter Nelson, WP, No. 10-78, arrived 1884, naturalized December 13,
        1894. Peter Nelson declared his intent in the Supreme Judiciary of
        Piscataquis County, Dover, ME Dec 27, 1891, at which time he stated his age
        was 30.
        Per W. Nelson, No. 10-130, born 1838, arrived 1883, naturalized Dec. 11,
        1899. Per Nelson born Jan 11, 1838, died June 12, 1903 is buried in the
        Westmanland Cemetery-Tombstone inscription in New Sweden.
        I obtained this info from the "Swedish American Genealogist" publication.
        There is a book printed in 1970 by Richard Hede called Maine's Swedish
        Colony. This is a thick blue book, not indexed, containing collections of
        info on the early settlers. I will try to go through this over the next few
        days to see if anything of interest to you might be in it. Did you check
        the town marriage records for Frida's parents names?
        I will get back to you...Carolyn

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        > > To learn more about the maineswedishcolony group, please visit::
        > > To send a message to all members of this group, reply to this message or
        simply send email to: <maineswedishcolony@yahoogroups.com>
        > > Please let me know if you run into any problems with this service. Bill
        Duncan, <duncan@...> (personal email)

        > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        > To learn more about the maineswedishcolony group, please visit:: <http://g
        roups.yahoo.com/group/maineswedishcolony>
        > To send a message to all members of this group, reply to this message or
        simply send email to: <maineswedishcolony@yahoogroups.com>
        > Please let me know if you run into any problems with this service. Bill
        Duncan, <duncan@...> (personal email)

      • David Larsson
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 22, 2002
          When I read this original inquiry, I knew that if I called my father,
          he'd likely know something about the people involved. My father is John
          A. Larsson, born 1920 in New Sweden (grandson of L.P. Larsson, founder
          of the Jemtland store, referenced a couple of times on the Colony's
          webpage at http://www.geocities.com/mscguide/nshist.html
          <http://www.geocities.com/mscguide/nshist.html> ).

          Sure enough, my father remembers Peter Nelson quite well. In fact, he
          informs me that Peter Nelson gave him his first haircut! My father
          reports that there is at least one Nelson relative now living in the New
          Sweden area: Mrs. Frances Nelson, who was in my father's class at
          Jemtland grammar school. Mrs. Nelson married Ralph Nelson, who was a
          nephew of Peter. Yahoo shows a Frances Nelson with an addresss on
          Station Rd, New Sweden, ME 04762-0000.

          My father believes that Frida Arndt came to New Sweden from the midwest:
          Chicago, he would guess, but he isn't sure.

          Frida and Peter adopted a daughter, Virginia (called "Virgie"), who
          married Clarence Malm and lived in the New Sweden area for several
          years. After WWII, they moved to the "Little Maine" area of upstate New
          York, west of the Finger Lakes.

          Feel free to contact my father. He now lives at The Arbors, 403 West
          Center St., Apt 230, Manchester, CT 06040.

          David J. Larsson
          Marvin, Larsson, Henkin & Scheuritzel
          Centre Square West
          Suite 3510
          1500 Market Street
          Philadelphia, PA 19102
          office email: <mailto:dlarsson@...>
          dlarsson@...
          office phone: 215.656 4221
          > Rita/Andy Olson, I thank you for the reply, is there a listing of
          early
          Swedish Settlers in the area? I believe some of the settlers
          > originated from Sweden in the same area as my ancestors, thanks for
          any
          info, Roy Arndt.

          > Rita/Andy Olson wrote:
          >
          > > I have forwarded your message to someone, I hope, can give you some
          > > information.
          > > if they can't I'm sure they will forward it to someone also.......

        • Debbie
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 23, 2002
            Dear David,
            Isn't technology wonderful? I knew someone would answer this
            question........
            > When I read this original inquiry, I knew that if I called my father,
            > he'd likely know something about the people involved. My father is John
            > A. Larsson, born 1920 in New Sweden (grandson of L.P. Larsson, founder
            > of the Jemtland store, referenced a couple of times on the Colony's
            > webpage at http://www.geocities.com/mscguide/nshist.html
            > <http://www.geocities.com/mscguide/nshist.html> ).
            >
            > Sure enough, my father remembers Peter Nelson quite well. In fact, he
            > informs me that Peter Nelson gave him his first haircut! My father
            > reports that there is at least one Nelson relative now living in the New
            > Sweden area: Mrs. Frances Nelson, who was in my father's class at
            > Jemtland grammar school. Mrs. Nelson married Ralph Nelson, who was a
            > nephew of Peter. Yahoo shows a Frances Nelson with an addresss on
            > Station Rd, New Sweden, ME 04762-0000.
            >
            > My father believes that Frida Arndt came to New Sweden from the midwest:
            > Chicago, he would guess, but he isn't sure.
            >
            > Frida and Peter adopted a daughter, Virginia (called "Virgie"), who
            > married Clarence Malm and lived in the New Sweden area for several
            > years. After WWII, they moved to the "Little Maine" area of upstate New
            > York, west of the Finger Lakes.
            >
            > Feel free to contact my father. He now lives at The Arbors, 403 West
            > Center St., Apt 230, Manchester, CT 06040.
            >
            > David J. Larsson
            > Marvin, Larsson, Henkin & Scheuritzel
            > Centre Square West
            > Suite 3510
            > 1500 Market Street
            > Philadelphia, PA 19102
            > office email: <mailto:dlarsson@...>
            > dlarsson@...
            > office phone: 215.656 4221

          • dlarsson2002
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 5, 2002
              I believe that Mr. Arndt intended to post this on the message board: