website shut off? / FW: Your Data Transfer Status

  • Bill Duncan
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2001
      Yikes, this is a message I received from Geocities.

      ----------
      From: civics@...
      Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 19:25:01 -0800 (PST)
      To: duncan@...
      Subject: Your Data Transfer Status

      Dear GeoCities Member,
      Congratulations, http://www.geocities.com/maineswedishcolony seems to
      be very popular and has been receiving a large amount of traffic.
      Our records indicate that you're using more than the allotted amount
      of data transfer we provide for a free web site, which is 3 gigabytes
      per month (measured on an hourly basis). That means that during the
      past few days we had to temporarily turn your site off to keep the
      bandwidth within this limit.

      [...clipped the rest of the message]

      It never crossed my mind that the site would get turned off because of too
      many visitors.

      I have removed the big "guide.pdf" file (this file allows you to view and
      print a copy of the original printed guide.) I may also need to move the
      online guide to another Geocities "site,"

      Does anyone know of a local internet service provider that would host our
      site with out charge?

      Bill & Jean Duncan

      Mail:
      HC 61 Box 547