Re: letter from Sweden

  • sierrajkl
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 18 11:09 AM
      --- In maineswedishcolony@yahoogroups.com, jean duncan <jeanbduncan@...> wrote:

      > (Sorry. Hopefully this has better formatting. Let me try again.)
      >
      > Here is a letter we received from Sweden. Can anyone help him?
      >
      > Saturday March 28, 2009
      > My name is Morgan and I’m writing from Sweden. If you’re wondering about my last name, it’s German and comes from my wife. My original last name was Darefors.
      > I’m writing because I’ve done some genealogical research and thereby found out about some relatives dating back to about 1650, but so far no results that suggest that anyone of them started a new life in America.
      > From what I read on your website both New Sweden and Stockholm (Upsala) were founded around 1870. My great grandfather was born 1850 and my great grandmother 1857, and I know from a family chronicle that their children, grandchildren and great grandchildren all stayed in Europe. I’ve found out about three, possibly four, siblings on my great grandmother’s side but so far none on my great grandfather’s side.
      > This is a long shot, I know, but do you have records of any Swedish immigrants from the regions of Daräna, Habo (Västergotland) or Ambo, Bohuaryd (Smaland)? My great grandmothers maiden name was Svautesdotter and my great grandfather’s last name Svensson. The former was born in Bottuaryd and the latter in Habo. Her parents were Svante Johansson and Maria Katarina Johansson (born Axell) and his parents were Sven Svensson and Anna Kais Svensson (Johansdotter).
      > Perhaps you could also help me locate other regions in the USA where Swedish immigrants settled. I know of Minnesota, but there must be more, if possible smaller regions.
      > You’re welcome to contact me:
      > Mr. Morgan Deipeubrock
      > Kärrhöksgatan 22
      > 55612 Jöuköping
      > Sweden
      >
      > morgandeipeubrock@...
      >
      > Yours sincerely,
      > Morgan Deipeubrock

      Morgan,
      I think Massachusetts, the Dakotas(North & South), parts of Connecticut, are some areas that I can think of offhand. Possibly Kansas & the state of Washington had small populations. I know that there use to be quite a few Swedes in the Springfield, Massachusetts area years back because my grandmother was from Sweden (Varmland) and she and her husband had Swedish friends they used to visit in that general area. They are both gone now but I used to go with them sometimes when I was a child when they went visiting there. My grandparents settled in southern Connecticut after they married in Springfield. There were already some Swedes living in the area of Connecticut where they moved to. This was back in about 1911 or so. A number of these people came over from Sweden on the same ship that my grandmother did and it ported in New York City. I do not know where in Sweden it left from or when.
      Judith Lund