Re: [maineswedishcolony] New Denmark, New Brunswick story

  • Judye
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 26, 2009
      Carolyn,
       I have no idea whether my grandfather had any brothers or sisters at all, and he was born in 1886. It is interesting, the name Sundell. I remember  years back when both my grandparents were still living, when Grandma used to pronounce the name Sandell she would say Sundell. She was born in Varmland, Sweden and emigrated over here with two of her sisters after the turn of the century.
        It makes me wonder about the Sundell family. It is a coincidence, too. I know very little about my grandfather's side of the family at all but quite a bit about my grandmother's and also my  dad's side of the family as they emigrated from Germany. In my grandfather's obituary his father's first name was given as Olaf, and my mom's brother did the obituary. There are alot of unanswered questions.It would be really great if this person J.F. Sundell in the New Sweden/Woodland area turned out to be the one related to my maternal grandfather, Anton Sandell. I had heard through a family member years back that my paternal great-grandfather's first wife died and that he remarried. I think it was my mother who mentioned this.
       My grandfather & grandmother married in Springfield, MA in 1911. Thats the marriage certificate I would like to get a copy of.
                                                                          Judi
                                                     Judi

      From: Ray & Carolyn <rchilde@atiwi. com>
      To: maineswedishcolony@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Wednesday, February 25, 2009, 12:23 PM

      Lots of Andersons-I had a few up here-great Aunts married Andersons.  My mother was an Anderson from Worcester, where I was born.  Did your family go to Ansonia, CT?  Some of mine did-Lindgren.  My family also Americanized their names-Anders Haglund became Andrew.  Son Carl Haglund became Charles.  Their last name in Sweden had been Carlsson-changed to Haglund before coming over.  Make for a genealogical nightmare!  Carolyn

      From: Ray & Carolyn <rchilde@atiwi. com>
      To: maineswedishcolony@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Wednesday, February 25, 2009, 11:37 AM

      Judi,
      My family came over-uncles beginning with the first group, then more aunts and uncles, until 1873 when my great-great grandparents and two children came over.  I have checked for records in Halifax and found they were destroyed in a fire.  I have found newspaper clippings at the Provincial Archives in Fredericton reporting the coming of the Swede's, but no names were listed in what I found.  Richard Hede's blue book does list all of the first group that came.  Many of my uncles, aunts and cousins moved on to MA and other states.  Hope this info helps.

      Carolyn Hildebrand

      From: kit kis <kitkis5@yahoo. com>
      To: maineswedishcolony@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Wednesday, February 25, 2009, 5:29 AM

          They landed in Halifax from Liverpool, across Nova Scotia, over the bay of Fundy to St. John, Canada.  down the St. John river by steamer to Fredericton, to Tobique Landing.  Then by railroad, By horse team to Fort Fairfield, Maine, continued on, over the bridge of the Aroostook River into Caribou, and finally to New Sweden.  I got this information from "Founding of New Sweden".  Hope it's helpful. Kathy Robinson

      From: jeanbduncan <jeanbduncan@ yahoo.com>
      To: maineswedishcolony@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, February 24, 2009, 10:51 AM

      Check out the history of our Danish neighbors and their parallel story
      to New Sweden:

      http://archives. gnb.ca/Exhibits/ PlannedSettlemen ts/Settlement. aspx?culture= en-CA&t=NewDenma rk

      Be sure to click on the blue links on each page to see primary
      documents and great photos!