Re: [maineswedishcolony] New Denmark, New Brunswick story

  • Judye
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 24, 2009
      Jean,
       Did the Swedes who settled New Sweden and surrounding smaller communities land at the same port in New Brunswick as the the Danes, and follow the same route up the river to northern Maine as the Danes did? I have been trying to figure out this part of their journey from Sweden to northern Maine for some time now in trying to do the genealogy of my deceased maternal grandfather whose father emigrated from Sweden to northern Maine.
                                        Judi Lund

      Psalm 134: 2

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009
            They landed in Halifax from Liverpool, across Nova Scotia, over the bay of Fundy to St. John, Canada.  down the St. John river by steamer to Fredericton, to Tobique Landing.  Then by railroad, By horse team to Fort Fairfield, Maine, continued on, over the bridge of the Aroostook River into Caribou, and finally to New Sweden.  I got this information from "Founding of New Sweden".  Hope it's helpful. Kathy Robinson

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009
          Thank you very much, Kathy. It was a big help. I wonder if there is a list of the names of those Swedes that landed in Halifax enroute to northern Maine. It sounds like there was more than one group of them, also. I don't know if there is a log or record like the ones that are kept re those who entered this country in NYC.
                                                                 Judi

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009
            Judi,
            My family came over-uncles beginning with the first group, then more aunts and uncles, until 1873 when my great-great grandparents and two children came over.  I have checked for records in Halifax and found they were destroyed in a fire.  I have found newspaper clippings at the Provincial Archives in Fredericton reporting the coming of the Swede's, but no names were listed in what I found.  Richard Hede's blue book does list all of the first group that came.  Many of my uncles, aunts and cousins moved on to MA and other states.  Hope this info helps.

            Carolyn Hildebrand

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009
              It was my maternal grandfather's dad who emigrated to the northern Maine area, possibly to Westmanland. I remember some years ago that my mother said that some of the Swedes Americanized their names when they came to this country and she thinks that her grandfather did the same. I also have an older photo of 2 of my grandfather's cousins from up in Maine and the first name only of one of them. No last name at all. Its a shame that I do not have any more than that. Sandell was my grandfather's last name, but he also had some relatives with the last name of Anderson as I found their photos in frames some years ago. The 2 were born back in about the 1860's I think. I need to look for these photos as I moved from AZ  2 yrs. ago  and still have not found or unpacked everything.
              My grandfather moved down to Connecticut from Maine but had friends in MA, also.

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009
                Lots of Andersons-I had a few up here-great Aunts married Andersons.  My mother was an Anderson from Worcester, where I was born.  Did your family go to Ansonia, CT?  Some of mine did-Lindgren.  My family also Americanized their names-Anders Haglund became Andrew.  Son Carl Haglund became Charles.  Their last name in Sweden had been Carlsson-changed to Haglund before coming over.  Make for a genealogical nightmare!  Carolyn

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009
                  He eventually settled in Groton,CT in 1911. He married my grandmother in the same year in April in Springfield, MA. I found that info as to where on a website through the LDS church when I went to their Family History center to do some more research. This was a few years ago. I would like to see about getting a copy of their marriage license but I wonder  whether they would still have records going back that far. If I could get a copy of that I might find out more about who his parents were and where he was actually born. He served in WW 1 joining the Coast Guard in about 1907 or 8. I do not know what state he was living in then or  his age when he left Maine. He was born in 1886. Finding out his father's original last name might be difficult. His first name was Olof that I know, and his mother's name was Rose.
                                                                          Judi

[...]

                • Ray and Carolyn Hildebrand
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 26, 2009
                    Judi,
                    I have also been to the Family History Center in Salt Lake City-what a treasure!   You should be able to get that marriage certificate from Groton or their county seat.  Also, the Coast Guard should have lots of info.   I was able to obtain a copy of my grandfather's 1917 enlistment papers from the Army.  Good luck!  Carolyn

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 26, 2009
                      Judi,
                      In Richard Hede's blue book there is a letter from Pastor Wiren dated 1874 in which he provides statistics on each Swedish immigrant family in the New Sweden/Woodland area.  There is a J.F. Sundell who had 5 acres felled, 5 acres of grass, 8 acreas of crops, 1 cow and 1 calf, a 30x18 house, a 44x24 barn (one of the largest mentioned), 3 children and 4 years here.  This was probably your Sandell family.

                      Carolyn

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 26, 2009
                        Carolyn,
                         I have no idea whether my grandfather had any brothers or sisters at all, and he was born in 1886. It is interesting, the name Sundell. I remember  years back when both my grandparents were still living, when Grandma used to pronounce the name Sandell she would say Sundell. She was born in Varmland, Sweden and emigrated over here with two of her sisters after the turn of the century.
                          It makes me wonder about the Sundell family. It is a coincidence, too. I know very little about my grandfather's side of the family at all but quite a bit about my grandmother's and also my  dad's side of the family as they emigrated from Germany. In my grandfather's obituary his father's first name was given as Olaf, and my mom's brother did the obituary. There are alot of unanswered questions.It would be really great if this person J.F. Sundell in the New Sweden/Woodland area turned out to be the one related to my maternal grandfather, Anton Sandell. I had heard through a family member years back that my paternal great-grandfather's first wife died and that he remarried. I think it was my mother who mentioned this.
                         My grandfather & grandmother married in Springfield, MA in 1911. Thats the marriage certificate I would like to get a copy of.