Re: [maineswedishcolony] Harvard Magazine lists Swedish festival!

  • John G. Hede
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 27, 1956
      Hi Bill!

      May "100 people of Swedish heritage" is about right. But....who's
      counting anyway?

      Good wishes,

      John and Rosemary
    • William Duncan
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 29, 2008
        ..."roughly 100 people of Swedish heritage"...?
        That was probably a misunderstanding from talking to me.
        Think we'll have a huge influx of Harvard folks for Midsommar?
        Oh well. As the bumper sticker says: "Welcome to Maine. Now go home."
        --
        Bill Duncan

        Begin forwarded message:

        > From: Nell Brown <nell_porter_brown@...>
        > Date: February 29, 2008 5:11:23 PM EST
        > To: <jhede@...>, <duncan@...>
        > Subject: Harvard Magazine lists Swedish festival!
        >
        > Hi there,
        >
        > I talked to you awhile ago and wanted to send you the resulting
        > article on
        > the festival:
        > http://harvardmagazine.com/2008/03/out-and-about.html
        >
        > It appears in the March-April paper issue. Here is your entry
        > inparticular:
        >
        > Maine Swedish Colony Midsommar
        >
        > June 20-22
        > New Sweden, Maine
        > geocities.com/maineswedishcolony
        > 207-896-5874 (for organizer Debbie Blanchette)
        >
        > This small, lively festival honors the summer solstice and Swedish
        > history
        > in the far northeast corner of Maine through an enchanting Maypole
        > (Majstång) dance in which children and adults dress in traditional
        > garb,
        > hand out flowers, and decorate the pole, accompanied by guest
        > musicians and
        > professional folk dancers. On Saturday evening, everyone gathers
        > for the
        > smörgåsbord (advance tickets required), followed by dancing and a
        > bonfire.
        > The Swedish colony, originally settled in 1870, reached its peak
        > population
        > in the early 1900s; now, organizers say, roughly 100 people of Swedish
        > heritage still live in the area. A museum with pioneer-day
        > artifacts is also
        > worth a look. The village is a 15-minute drive from New Brunswick
        > (or you
        > can fly to nearby Presque Isle from Bangor or Portland).
        >

        > Nell Porter Brown
        > Assistant Editor, Harvard Magazine
        > 7 Ware Street
        > Cambridge, MA 02138
        > 617-496-6698

      • Blanchette Family
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
          Okay Bill, you're forgiven, how many people will be reading Harvard Magazine from up here?
          Debbie

          ..."roughly 100 people of Swedish heritage"... ?
          That was probably a misunderstanding from talking to me.
          Think we'll have a huge influx of Harvard folks for Midsommar?
          Oh well. As the bumper sticker says: "Welcome to Maine. Now go home."
          --
          Bill Duncan

          Begin forwarded message:

          > From: Nell Brown <nell_porter_ brown@harvard. edu>
          > Date: February 29, 2008 5:11:23 PM EST
          > To: <jhede@...>, <duncan@ainop. com>
          > Subject: Harvard Magazine lists Swedish festival!
          >
          > Hi there,
          >
          > I talked to you awhile ago and wanted to send you the resulting
          > article on
          > the festival:
          > http://harvardmagaz ine.com/2008/ 03/out-and- about.html
          >
          > It appears in the March-April paper issue. Here is your entry
          > inparticular:
          >
          > Maine Swedish Colony Midsommar
          >
          > June 20-22
          > New Sweden, Maine
          > geocities.com/ maineswedishcolo ny
          > 207-896-5874 (for organizer Debbie Blanchette)
          >
          > This small, lively festival honors the summer solstice and Swedish
          > history
          > in the far northeast corner of Maine through an enchanting Maypole
          > (Majstång) dance in which children and adults dress in traditional
          > garb,
          > hand out flowers, and decorate the pole, accompanied by guest
          > musicians and
          > professional folk dancers. On Saturday evening, everyone gathers
          > for the
          > smörgåsbord (advance tickets required), followed by dancing and a
          > bonfire.
          > The Swedish colony, originally settled in 1870, reached its peak
          > population
          > in the early 1900s; now, organizers say, roughly 100 people of Swedish
          > heritage still live in the area. A museum with pioneer-day
          > artifacts is also
          > worth a look. The village is a 15-minute drive from New Brunswick
          > (or you
          > can fly to nearby Presque Isle from Bangor or Portland).
          >

          > Nell Porter Brown
          > Assistant Editor, Harvard Magazine
          > 7 Ware Street
          > Cambridge, MA 02138