Re: Searching for info. on my grandfather

  • padrewind
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 14, 2007
      Judith, I'm not so sure Anton was born in Aroostock, Maine. I find
      him and wife Alnida on a 1920 census in Groton, New London, Conn.
      He is with his son Bertel 6 yr. and daughter Lillian 8 years. An on
      the census him and his with claim to be from Sweden. date of
      immigration 1901. Both the children born in Ohio. I will check
      with Swedish message board for more information.

      Patti

      --- In maineswedishcolony@yahoogroups.com, Keith Olson <kwolson@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello Judith,
      >
      > I'm sorry but I am no help. My mormor and morfar arrived in the
      U.S.
      > in the early 1890s and my father arrived in 1922. Most of my
      > mother's family stayed in Sweden and all of my father's family
      > stayed. In this country I have three cousins, three nieces, one
      > nephew, and one brother. I grew up 85 miles north of New York
      City
      > in the Hudson Valley.
      >
      > Good luck with your search.
      >
      > Keith Olson
      > -
      >

      > On Feb 13, 2007, at 7:10 PM, sierrajkl wrote:
      >
      > > Hello,
      > > I am doing my family history and I am working on my late
      grandfather's
      > > side of the family. I have been working with the LDS Family
      History
      > > Ctr. and gotten to the point where I now need some help from
      you
      > > group,
      > > of which I am a member. My name Judith Lund, and I live in
      Phoenix,AZ
      > > at the present.
      > > I do not know much about my grandfather's parents, etc. at all
      except
      > > what was in his obituary ibn 1965 when he died. I did find out
      from
      > > WW2
      > > draft record that he was born in Nov. 2,1886 in Aroostook County,
      > > Maine. His name was Anton B. Sandell. His father was Olaf.

    • padrewind
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 14, 2007
        Judith, here is 1st reply to my posting on Swedish message board:

        Av Mats Ahlgren (Mats) – torsdag den 15 febr 2007 kl. 00.12:
        [Ändra]

        Patti

        I found Anton and Alvida on a New York Passenger list from September
        7, 1948, arriving on Gripsholm.
        It says Anton Sandell, 53 Godfrey St, Groton, Connecticut, age 60,
        born in Sweden
        Alvida, same adress, age 66, born in Sweden

        On his WW2 registration card he is born in Maine

        As you say, census 1920 shows Antone B born in Sweden and immigrated
        1901 snd naturalized in 1913.

        In census 1930, I find Alvida and two children in Mobile, Alabama.
        The children have their father from Maine and the mother from Sweden.
        Anton is also in Alabama, but on a US Coast Guard Cutter. He states
        to be born in Maine, father's place of birth unknown and mother from
        Maine.

        In census 1910 is a Alvida Lund(Lound)found as servant/laundress New
        London, Connecticut. Born in Sweden and immigrated 1901.

        This is her record on CD Emibas
        Post 825899
        Larsson Lund, Alma Alvida
        Ägardotter (unmarried woman)
        b. 4/11/1882 in Stavnäs, Värmlands län (Värmland)
        Emigrated 4/19/1901
        from Fjöle Norra, Stavnäs, Värmlands län (Värmland)
        to Nordamerika
        0831901004 - Bilaga/ytterligare information finns. Kontakta
        Emigrantregistret i Karlstad
        Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 114
        Emibas migration file ID: Stavnäs S 1901 004

        This might be Alvida A before marying Anton.

        --- In maineswedishcolony@yahoogroups.com, "padrewind"

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 15, 2007
          Judith, here is more discussion on Swedish message board. You might
          want to do a little more digging in Maine. I wish you good luck.
          Patti.............

          Av Judy Olson Baouab – torsdag den 15 febr 2007 kl. 19.00: [Ändra]

          It is quite certain that the information on the World War I and/or
          World War II Draft Registrations would have been provided by the person
          registering.

          It is not at all certain that the information provided on a census was
          provided by that person. If someone else in the household (even a
          child) or a neighbor provided that information (and that is very
          possible), it may not be correct.

          When there is a conflict between the place of birth on a draft
          registration and the place of birth on a census, I would use the
          information provided by that individual on the draft registration.

          Judy

          --------
          Av Mats Ahlgren (Mats) – torsdag den 15 febr 2007 kl. 21.45: [Ändra]

          I wonder where the information, on the passenger list, regarding
          passport number and Place of Birth is gathered from

          On the passenger list from September 1948, September 7, SS Gripsholm
          (found on Ancestry.com) I can see Antons passport number and place of
          birth. I guess that information is from the passport. Is it possible to
          find pass port information in some source?

          --- In maineswedishcolony@yahoogroups.com, "sierrajkl" <sierrajkl@...>
          wrote:

          > Hello,
          > I am doing my family history and I am working on my late
          grandfather's
          > side of the family. I have been working with the LDS Family History
          > Ctr. and gotten to the point where I now need some help from you
          group,
          > of which I am a member. My name Judith Lund, and I live in Phoenix,AZ
          > at the present.
          > I do not know much about my grandfather's parents, etc. at all
          except
          > what was in his obituary ibn 1965 when he died. I did find out from
          WW2
          > draft record that he was born in Nov. 2,1886 in Aroostook County,
          > Maine. His name was Anton B. Sandell. His father was Olaf.

        • sierrajkl
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 20 2:34 PM
            <patti.white@...> wrote:

            > Judith, here is more discussion on Swedish message board. You
            might
            > want to do a little more digging in Maine. I wish you good luck.
            > Patti.............
            >
            > Av Judy Olson Baouab ? torsdag den 15 febr 2007 kl. 19.00:
            [Įdra]

            > It is quite certain that the information on the World War I and/or
            > World War II Draft Registrations would have been provided by the
            person
            > registering.
            >
            > It is not at all certain that the information provided on a census
            was
            > provided by that person. If someone else in the household (even a
            > child) or a neighbor provided that information (and that is very
            > possible), it may not be correct.
            >
            > When there is a conflict between the place of birth on a draft
            > registration and the place of birth on a census, I would use the
            > information provided by that individual on the draft registration.
            >
            > Judy

            -----
            > --------
            > Av Mats Ahlgren (Mats) ? torsdag den 15 febr 2007 kl. 21.45:
            [Įdra]

            > I wonder where the information, on the passenger list, regarding
            > passport number and Place of Birth is gathered from
            >
            > On the passenger list from September 1948, September 7, SS
            Gripsholm
            > (found on Ancestry.com) I can see Antons passport number and place
            of
            > birth. I guess that information is from the passport. Is it
            possible to
            > find pass port information in some source?
            >

            > --- In maineswedishcolony@yahoogroups.com, "sierrajkl"
            <sierrajkl@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello,
            > > I am doing my family history and I am working on my late
            > grandfather's
            > > side of the family. I have been working with the LDS Family
            History
            > > Ctr. and gotten to the point where I now need some help from you
            > group,
            > > of which I am a member. My name Judith Lund, and I live in
            Phoenix,AZ
            > > at the present.
            > > I do not know much about my grandfather's parents, etc. at all
            > except
            > > what was in his obituary ibn 1965 when he died. I did find out
            from
            > WW2
            > > draft record that he was born in Nov. 2,1886 in Aroostook
            County,
            > > Maine. His name was Anton B. Sandell. His father was Olaf.

            Thank you for your reply. I apologize for not getting back with you
            sooner, I just have alot going on right now in my life.
            The info. that shows both my grandma & grandpa on the Gripsholm in
            1948 is when they went over to Sweden by ship to visit Grandma's
            family in Klassbol, Varmland, and then their return. They sailed out
            of New York City.
            I was wondering regarding pursuing the search for more info. in
            Maine, should I contact the Maine Archives in Augusta, considering
            he was born in the 1880's? On the obituary it shows his parents as
            Olaf & Rose Sandell.
            One of the people at the LDS Family History Center in Mesa said that
            to send to SS for the application that he filed for getting a SS no.
            and that this application should have who his parents were, where he
            was born, etc. This is available because the person is deceased. It
            is $27.
            The children Bertil and Lillian are my late uncle and my recently
            deceased mother. There was another, Evelyn, who was the daughter of
            my grandmother's sister who died in the flu epidemic; the child was
            adopted my my grandparents.
            After my mother passed on my daughter found many family photos in a
            box at her home. She gave several of them to me. One of them is a
            photo of my grandfather's cousin Isobel and her mother taken in this
            country. Both have black hair. I remember vaguely a cousin Isobel
            from Maine stopped by my grandparents house in Groton many years
            back when I was a child and there at the house. My grandma told me
            who she was.
            Judy Lund