Searching for info. on my grandfather

  • sierrajkl
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 13, 2007
      Hello,
      I am doing my family history and I am working on my late grandfather's
      side of the family. I have been working with the LDS Family History
      Ctr. and gotten to the point where I now need some help from you group,
      of which I am a member. My name Judith Lund, and I live in Phoenix,AZ
      at the present.
      I do not know much about my grandfather's parents, etc. at all except
      what was in his obituary ibn 1965 when he died. I did find out from WW2
      draft record that he was born in Nov. 2,1886 in Aroostook County,
      Maine. His name was Anton B. Sandell. His father was Olaf.
    • Keith Olson
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 14, 2007
        Hello Judith,

        I'm sorry but I am no help.  My mormor and morfar arrived in the U.S. in the early 1890s and my father arrived in 1922.  Most of my mother's family stayed in Sweden and all of my father's family stayed.  In this country I have three cousins, three nieces, one nephew, and one  brother.  I grew up 85 miles north of New York City in the Hudson Valley.

        Good luck with your search.

        Keith Olson
        -

        On Feb 13, 2007, at 7:10 PM, sierrajkl wrote:

        Hello,
        I am doing my family history and I am working on my late grandfather's
        side of the family. I have been working with the LDS Family History
        Ctr. and gotten to the point where I now need some help from you group,
        of which I am a member. My name Judith Lund, and I live in Phoenix,AZ
        at the present.
        I do not know much about my grandfather's parents, etc. at all except
        what was in his obituary ibn 1965 when he died. I did find out from WW2
        draft record that he was born in Nov. 2,1886 in Aroostook County,
        Maine. His name was Anton B. Sandell. His father was Olaf.

      • padrewind
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 14, 2007
          Judith, I'm not so sure Anton was born in Aroostock, Maine. I find
          him and wife Alnida on a 1920 census in Groton, New London, Conn.
          He is with his son Bertel 6 yr. and daughter Lillian 8 years. An on
          the census him and his with claim to be from Sweden. date of
          immigration 1901. Both the children born in Ohio. I will check
          with Swedish message board for more information.

          Patti

          --- In maineswedishcolony@yahoogroups.com, Keith Olson <kwolson@...>

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 14, 2007
            Judith, here is 1st reply to my posting on Swedish message board:

            Av Mats Ahlgren (Mats) – torsdag den 15 febr 2007 kl. 00.12:
            [Ändra]

            Patti

            I found Anton and Alvida on a New York Passenger list from September
            7, 1948, arriving on Gripsholm.
            It says Anton Sandell, 53 Godfrey St, Groton, Connecticut, age 60,
            born in Sweden
            Alvida, same adress, age 66, born in Sweden

            On his WW2 registration card he is born in Maine

            As you say, census 1920 shows Antone B born in Sweden and immigrated
            1901 snd naturalized in 1913.

            In census 1930, I find Alvida and two children in Mobile, Alabama.
            The children have their father from Maine and the mother from Sweden.
            Anton is also in Alabama, but on a US Coast Guard Cutter. He states
            to be born in Maine, father's place of birth unknown and mother from
            Maine.

            In census 1910 is a Alvida Lund(Lound)found as servant/laundress New
            London, Connecticut. Born in Sweden and immigrated 1901.

            This is her record on CD Emibas
            Post 825899
            Larsson Lund, Alma Alvida
            Ägardotter (unmarried woman)
            b. 4/11/1882 in Stavnäs, Värmlands län (Värmland)
            Emigrated 4/19/1901
            from Fjöle Norra, Stavnäs, Värmlands län (Värmland)
            to Nordamerika
            0831901004 - Bilaga/ytterligare information finns. Kontakta
            Emigrantregistret i Karlstad
            Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 114
            Emibas migration file ID: Stavnäs S 1901 004

            This might be Alvida A before marying Anton.

            --- In maineswedishcolony@yahoogroups.com, "padrewind"

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 15, 2007
              Judith, here is more discussion on Swedish message board. You might
              want to do a little more digging in Maine. I wish you good luck.
              Patti.............

              Av Judy Olson Baouab – torsdag den 15 febr 2007 kl. 19.00: [Ändra]

              It is quite certain that the information on the World War I and/or
              World War II Draft Registrations would have been provided by the person
              registering.

              It is not at all certain that the information provided on a census was
              provided by that person. If someone else in the household (even a
              child) or a neighbor provided that information (and that is very
              possible), it may not be correct.

              When there is a conflict between the place of birth on a draft
              registration and the place of birth on a census, I would use the
              information provided by that individual on the draft registration.

              Judy

              --------
              Av Mats Ahlgren (Mats) – torsdag den 15 febr 2007 kl. 21.45: [Ändra]

              I wonder where the information, on the passenger list, regarding
              passport number and Place of Birth is gathered from

              On the passenger list from September 1948, September 7, SS Gripsholm
              (found on Ancestry.com) I can see Antons passport number and place of
              birth. I guess that information is from the passport. Is it possible to
              find pass port information in some source?

              --- In maineswedishcolony@yahoogroups.com, "sierrajkl" <sierrajkl@...>

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 20, 2007
                <patti.white@...> wrote:

                > Judith, here is more discussion on Swedish message board. You
                might
                > want to do a little more digging in Maine. I wish you good luck.
                > Patti.............
                >
                > Av Judy Olson Baouab ? torsdag den 15 febr 2007 kl. 19.00:
                [Įdra]

                > It is quite certain that the information on the World War I and/or
                > World War II Draft Registrations would have been provided by the
                person
                > registering.
                >
                > It is not at all certain that the information provided on a census
                was
                > provided by that person. If someone else in the household (even a
                > child) or a neighbor provided that information (and that is very
                > possible), it may not be correct.
                >
                > When there is a conflict between the place of birth on a draft
                > registration and the place of birth on a census, I would use the
                > information provided by that individual on the draft registration.
                >
                > Judy

                -----
                > --------
                > Av Mats Ahlgren (Mats) ? torsdag den 15 febr 2007 kl. 21.45:
                [Įdra]

                > I wonder where the information, on the passenger list, regarding
                > passport number and Place of Birth is gathered from
                >
                > On the passenger list from September 1948, September 7, SS
                Gripsholm
                > (found on Ancestry.com) I can see Antons passport number and place
                of
                > birth. I guess that information is from the passport. Is it
                possible to
                > find pass port information in some source?
                >

                > --- In maineswedishcolony@yahoogroups.com, "sierrajkl"
                <sierrajkl@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello,
                > > I am doing my family history and I am working on my late
                > grandfather's
                > > side of the family. I have been working with the LDS Family
                History
                > > Ctr. and gotten to the point where I now need some help from you
                > group,
                > > of which I am a member. My name Judith Lund, and I live in
                Phoenix,AZ
                > > at the present.
                > > I do not know much about my grandfather's parents, etc. at all
                > except
                > > what was in his obituary ibn 1965 when he died. I did find out
                from
                > WW2
                > > draft record that he was born in Nov. 2,1886 in Aroostook
                County,
                > > Maine. His name was Anton B. Sandell. His father was Olaf.

                Thank you for your reply. I apologize for not getting back with you
                sooner, I just have alot going on right now in my life.
                The info. that shows both my grandma & grandpa on the Gripsholm in
                1948 is when they went over to Sweden by ship to visit Grandma's
                family in Klassbol, Varmland, and then their return. They sailed out
                of New York City.
                I was wondering regarding pursuing the search for more info. in
                Maine, should I contact the Maine Archives in Augusta, considering
                he was born in the 1880's? On the obituary it shows his parents as
                Olaf & Rose Sandell.
                One of the people at the LDS Family History Center in Mesa said that
                to send to SS for the application that he filed for getting a SS no.
                and that this application should have who his parents were, where he
                was born, etc. This is available because the person is deceased. It
                is $27.
                The children Bertil and Lillian are my late uncle and my recently
                deceased mother. There was another, Evelyn, who was the daughter of
                my grandmother's sister who died in the flu epidemic; the child was
                adopted my my grandparents.
                After my mother passed on my daughter found many family photos in a
                box at her home. She gave several of them to me. One of them is a
                photo of my grandfather's cousin Isobel and her mother taken in this
                country. Both have black hair. I remember vaguely a cousin Isobel
                from Maine stopped by my grandparents house in Groton many years
                back when I was a child and there at the house. My grandma told me
                who she was.
                Judy Lund