Ideas for Public Calendar

  • Bill Duncan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 15, 2002
      Here is an item from my wish list for the Maine Swedish Colony web site:

      A public community calendar to publicize events and meetings.

      Benefits:
      €coordination between organizations scheduling events--
      see if another event is happening on a certain day
      €no limit to how far in the future events can be posted
      €folks who live away could see what's going on
      €monthly printout posted around Colony
      €organizations add their own events. (no deadlines! This would also
      distribute responsibility for maintaining the calendar.)

      I found two free public calendars:

      1.) calendar that is part of our email group
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/maineswedishcolony/cal>
      €advantage: Any Egroup member could post (I think you need a Yahoo account)
      €disadvantage: (a big one) it marks all events as private
      €caution: any member can edit/alter/delete any event (not likely)
      This option is available for anyone on the Egroup with a Yahoo account.

      2.) calendar available with any Yahoo account
      I have created an account to test as a group calendar:
      <http://us.calendar.yahoo.com/yc/us/public/msccal>
      €advantage: it has a cleaner looking printout
      €disadvantage: only one person at a time would have access to the account
      €cautions: -we share one account name and password;
      -contributors should sign-out before leaving calendar website;
      -anyone who has the password has full control of the account;
      -entire calendar could be be put in jeopardy (not likely);
      -unintentional damage to other folks postings (not likely);
      If you would like to try posting a few events, let me know and I will give
      you the password to this account.

      I recommend option 2, but would like some feedback.
      I will create links to the calendar from the other MSC sites.
      I am willing to post a few of your events, before you commit.
      Does anyone have experience in this sort of thing?
      Does anyone know of a another public calendar option?
      Can you foresee any problems of having such a public calendar?
      Additional benefits?

      FYI, online help for Egroup calendar:
      <http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/calendar>

      FYI, online help for public calendar calendar:
      <http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/cal/>

      -----
      Bill Duncan
      E-mail: duncan@...

      Mail:
      203 South Madawaska Lake Rd.
      HC 61 Box 547
      Stockholm, ME 04783
      Phone 207-896-3461
    • Carolyn Hildebrand
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 16, 2002
        Bill, thanks for the info on the calendar. I will be at the school on
        Sunday, but the historical society board chose not to remove items from the
        museum for display-sorry. As for the calendar, I you could announce our
        next membership meeting, I would appreciate it. February 2, 2002 at 2 p.m.
        at Heritage View. Members are asked to bring a dessert to share. The
        program will be very interesting-a few members of The Aroostook
        Stragglers-Company B of Brewer, affiliated with the 20th Maine, Civil War
        reenactment group will be present in uniform to talk about the Civil War and
        how it affected Maine.

        Sounds like a good meeting-I appreciate you posting it...See you
        Sunday...the site looks good on the computer...Carolyn
[...]

        To learn more about the maineswedishcolony group, please visit::
        To send messages to members of this group, simply
        send email to
        maineswedishcolony@yahoogroups.com

        Please let me know if there you encournter any problems with this service.
        Bill Duncan duncan@...