Re: [maineswedishcolony] Historical Records

  • Peter Blood
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2006
      Patti,

      This is going to be a rather generic answer. By 1900, town and counties had
      turned over the responsibility of issuing vital records to the states. You
      can obtain VRs from either, but states tend to charge a lot more for VRs
      ($10-20) then towns. I believe New Sweden charges only $3 for each record.
      They even have done some lookups for me for nothing. I do not remember the
      address of either source but you can find both from this link:
      http://www.vitalrec.com/

      Remember that when dealing with death records, the death info is real but
      the birth info may not be. Birth info is typically provided by an
      "informant." Some member of the family who came to verify the death. They
      are generally distraught and provide only that info that they BELIEVE is
      true.

      Hope that helped.

      Peter

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 27, 2006
        Hello, Patti
        I do not have any Stead's in my family tree.  Although,  if you have family living in the area maybe I can't write a letter to my Aunt.  She has lived in New Sweden all her life.  My grandfather lived up on the hill in New Sweden.  It was my understand that they special occasion there was a lot of music and dance at his place.  Let me know, if I can help. Becky Strid