Re: [maineswedishcolony] Names of original 51 settlers

  • Dan Olson
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 21, 2005
      Hi Jean,
      The names of the first 51 settlers are listed in the town history (the three-ring binder with the blue covers). You can also see the names of the first 51 on the bronze plaque on the back side of the stone memorialthat stands in front of hte New Sweden Museum, out by the very edge of Station Road (under the telephone pole).

      As to the names of the early settlers who are buried in the Old Cemetary behind the Museum: the large stone at the end of the foot path, down in the trees is inscribed with those names. When the wooden grave markers had deteriorated, the Historical Society put up the large stone marker as a "group" gravestone in the 1930's.

      Dan Olson