Re: [maineswedishcolony] New Sweden

  • Shelly Timber
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 16 7:37 PM
      Hello Jill.
      Rev. Shelly Timber here, from the Covenant Church in New Sweden.  I'm a new-bee here after arriving 3+ years ago.  I adore it here.  You couldn't find a place with nicer people. Neighbors usually know each other and look out for one another.  I never found a trace of that "New England" standoff-ishness here.  Are you thinking of relocating?  You certainly wouldn't be the first!  Many have visited and ended up putting down roots.  Be sure to join us if you can for Midsommar in June.  While that will give you the best flavor of our Swedish heritage, I personally prefer the month of August.  Only because the blackflies are sure to be gone by then!!!  :-)  June is particularly bad with them.  Best wishes to you.
      Pastor Shelly Timber

      Jill Lagle wrote:

      Hello, I read about the trajedy that happened in New Sweden.  However, Readers' Digest did a great job at conveying what a wonderful community you all have.  I have looked over the websites, and this just confirms my suspisions that New Sweden would be a wonderful place to live.  I'd love to know a lot more from the people that live there.  That's why I signed up for the email discussion group.  I loved living in Linkoping, Sweden as an exchange student.  In fact I miss the traditions, food, and enviroment.  Thanks for quenching my "home sickness" with all the pictures placed on the websites. Jill

      To send a message, reply to this message or send email to: maineswedishcolony@yahoogroups.com

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      --
      ÐÏࡱá

    • Carolyn Hildebrand
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 16 8:31 PM
        Hey, Jill.

        We have lived in New Sweden for 25 years, having come from RI and CT.  We love our community.  The Swedish heritage and traditions add to the natural attractions which keep us here.  We raised two children on our small farm and love the rural location.  I am a Swedish descendent on both my mother's and father's sides,  and have visited the Swedish towns my grandparents came from many years ago.  New Sweden resembles their homeland in Sweden and explains why some of them settled here in 1873.  We hosted two exchange students in 1992 and 1993; one from Sweden and one from the Czech Republic through ASSE.  We enjoyed them both-I know they would like to return to visit New Sweden again someday.  They will always be part of our family.  Hope to see you at Midsommar!  Carolyn Hildebrand
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 17 1:29 PM
          Jill,
          When were you in Link�ping? I grew up in the Link�ping Diocese (in
          L�nneberga/Vimmerby, Sm�land) and my father was ordained in the Link�ping
          Cathedral. We later lived in New Sweden, where my father served as pastor
          1979-85.

          Eric Robert Andr�, VDM +
          5700 Bunkerhill St. #1801, Pgh. (Highland Park), PA 15206. 412-441-2487