Buzzells

  • helenjar@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2002
      Jean: I have been very interested in Harry Buzzell's letters to home because
      Colby Buzzell, born about 1885 or so, was my father's best friend. My father
      was Nicholas Nelson and he lived on his father's farm on Colby Siding Road
      when he was young. Can you tell me where the Colby who was born around 1885
      fits into the family tree? I wonder if there are any present day relatives
      would remember anyone speaking of my father or his friendship with Colby.
      Helen Nelson Jarvis
    • jeanbduncan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2002
        --- In maineswedishcolony@y..., helenjar@a... wrote:
        > Jean: I have been very interested in Harry Buzzell's letters to home because
        > Colby Buzzell, born about 1885 or so, was my father's best friend. My father
        > was Nicholas Nelson and he lived on his father's farm on Colby Siding Road
        > when he was young. Can you tell me where the Colby who was born around 1885
        > fits into the family tree? I wonder if there are any present day relatives
        > would remember anyone speaking of my father or his friendship with Colby.
        > Helen Nelson Jarvis
        Helen: So far I have found one reference that might possibly be your
        relative in Harry Buzzell's letters home to his mother in Colby. In
        the letter dated June 2, 1918 (this letter was written in England, the
        first letter from overseas): "by the way how is Nelson getting along
        with his tractor this summer." Do you think that could be your
        father, Nicholas Nelson? Do you know where his farm was? I have a
        copy of the lots in Woodland in the 1870's.
        Colby Buzzell (1863-1940) was my great grandfather. He came to
        Woodland in 1879 and was a farmer on the Colby Siding Road (on the
        hill above the Baptist church) until about 1919 when he sold the farm
        to two of his sons, Bill and Clyde. Colby married Mary Olive Thomas in
        1885 and they had 11 children.
        Do you have the Woodland 115th anniversary booklet? It has lots of
        information about the families who have lived in Woodland. I will
        check to see if it has some about the Nilsson/Nelson family.
        Jean Buzzell Duncan
      • helenjar@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 8, 2002
          Jean Duncan: Yes I do know where my grandfather's farm was and where my
          father, Nicholas Nelson, grew up. It was lot 54 on the old maps and is the
          present home of Janet and Herbert Ketch on Colby Siding Road. When my
          husband and I were in New Sweden and Woodland two years ago, Janet and Herb
          were most kind to us, showing us the house, giving us pictures of my
          grandfather's barn which no longer exists, telling us a lot about Woodland,
          and taking us on a drive in the area to show us some of the historical places
          and to have us visit the museum. I was able to buy a copy of the Woodland
          115th anniversary booklet and have found it most interesting.
          Before my father married, he bought a farm in Washburn, at the corner of
          Caribou Lake Road and Washburn Road (Route 64). Here he grew potatoes.
          Regarding Harry Buzzell's question in his letter: "by the way, how is Nelson
          getting along with his tractor this summer": My father was always tinkering
          and inventing ways to do thing better, working especially on farm machinery
          and other pieces of equipment, like a road roller that was pulled by horses
          and that was used by the town to pack down snow on the roads in winter.
          People who knew him considered him a bright young man with an inventive mind.
          He produced a tractor with much higher rear wheels than were found on other
          tractors. It could be run in the loose farm soil and between rows of
          potatoes. Unfortunately, he had spent a great deal of money on building
          prototypes of the tractor and other inventions, taking several mortgages to
          finance them. He finally had to sell his farm to clear his debts sometime
          before 1920. The family moved to New Sweden, where I was born. A few year
          later, he left the area, moving with his family to Reading, MA where he built
          a house and where I grew up.
          Thank you very much for taking the time to search out the information from
          Harry Buzzell's letters. I am pleased to have the extra information about
          Colby Buzzell. My father always spoke very fondly of him. I have recently
          finished writing my family history as I know it. There is a copy of it in
          the New Sweden Historical Society library, and one in the Woodland Historical
          Society.
          The new internet group is wonderful. Your husband is to be congratulated for
          being willing to take on this big job. Helen Nelson Jarvis
        • jeanbduncan
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 23, 2002
            Helen Nelson Jarvis: At the Celebration on Sunday Jan. 20, I was
            excited to have an opportunity to look at the family history that you
            wrote! The Woodland Historical Society had their copy on display.
            (Thanks also to Herb and Janet Ketch for sharing some Woodland history
            with me.)
            Thank you for sharing information about your grandfather and father,
            Andreas and Nicholas Nelson. It helps me to understand and learn more
            about the community where my ancestors lived
            I found one other bit of information in my great-uncle's letters home
            (http://www.geocities.com/harrybuzzell/) regarding your father, I
            think: (this is from a letter written by Harry Buzzell on Jan. 11,
            1917 in Hartford, Conn. to his mother, Mary Thomas Buzzell, in Colby)
            "[Uncle Joe] is very good to talk with and he asks a lot of questions
            in regard to the folks the horses and crops and all about the new city
            [Colby] up there. He had quite a laugh about the time he was up there
            and he went down to the Nelson place to thrash do you remember how
            mudy [muddy] it was."
            I hope to be able to read your family history in detail sometime!
            Jean Buzzell Duncan --- In maineswedishcolony@y..., helenjar@a...