Re: [maineswedishcolony] Name Days

  • Eric Andræ
    Message 1 of 2 , May 17, 2003
      From www.scandinavius.com: "Swedes like to celebrate. So with a Name Day
      Calendar you can celebrate not only your "birth" day but your "name" day as
      well! Extra coffee and cake for you on your name's day! Today there are so
      many new names that a name's day calendar can't possibly list all the names.
      The traditional names listed here reflect old Norse culture as well as
      earlier influences of Christianity."
      Generally, the name associated with each day comes from the sanctoral
      calendar, the feast days of various biblical and extra-biblical historical
      figures. For example, tomorrow you can celebrate the Feast Day of St. Eric,
      King and Martyr, Patron Saint of Sweden, at the same time as you send me
      presents for my name day. :)

      From http://elvis.rowan.edu/~kilroy/JEK/home.html:
      Erik, King of Sweden, Martyr
      Erik IX Jedvardsson was ruler of much of Sweden from 1150 to 1160. He was
      the head of a Christian kingdom with nearby pagan kingdoms, all sharing an
      old tradition of fighting. Around 1155, he headed an expedition into
      Finland, then loosely under Swedish rule, to consolidate Swedish authority
      there and to establish a protected Christian mission, headed by Henry of
      Uppsala, now considered the founder of the Church in Finland (see 19 Jan).
      Erik is also known for undertaking to provide Sweden with fair laws and fair
      courts, and for measures designed to assist the poor and the infirm. As he
      was in church on 18 May 1160, the day after Ascension Day, he was told that
      a pagan Danish army was approaching to kill him. He replied, "Let us at
      least finish the [mass]. The rest of the feast I shall keep elsewhere." As
      he was leaving the church, the pagans rushed upon him and killed him.

      Erik was honored both as an upholder of the Christian faith and as a
      national hero, the ancestor of a long line of Swedish kings. Within thirty
      years after his death his name appeared on the Swedish Calendar, and he is
      accounted the principal patron of Sweden, as (for example) Patrick is of
      Irelend. The silver casket with his remains still rests in the cathedral at
      Uppsala [which I have visited several times].

      Prayer (traditional language)

      O God, who didst call thy servant Erik of Sweden to an earthly throne that
      he might advance thy heavenly kingdom, and didst give him zeal for thy
      Church and love for thy people: Mercifully grant that we who commemorate him
      this day may be fruitful in good works, and attain to the glorious crown of
      thy saints; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee
      and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.
      Prayer (contemporary language)
      O God, who called your servant Erik of Sweden to an earthly throne that he
      might advance your heavenly kingdom, and gave him zeal for your Church and
      love for your people: Mercifully grant that we who commemorate him this day
      may be fruitful in good works, and attain to the glorious crown of your
      saints; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the
      Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

      Eric Robert Andr�, VDM +
      5700 Bunkerhill St. #1801, Pgh. (Highland Park), PA 15206. 412-441-2487