Name Days

  • Carolyn Hildebrand
    Message 1 of 2 , May 16, 2003
      I have a calendar of Name Days which I scanned onto my computer.  Unfortunately, this yahoo site won't accept two pages, so if I could get an address other than yahoo for anyone who wants a copy, I'll be happy to forward the pages to you...I don't know the history, but they are Swedish first names associated with each calendar day, observed in Sweden as we do birthdays here.  Markus is April 25, and so on...
      Carolyn Hildebrand
    • Eric Andræ
      Message 2 of 2 , May 17, 2003
        From www.scandinavius.com: "Swedes like to celebrate. So with a Name Day
        Calendar you can celebrate not only your "birth" day but your "name" day as
        well! Extra coffee and cake for you on your name's day! Today there are so
        many new names that a name's day calendar can't possibly list all the names.
        The traditional names listed here reflect old Norse culture as well as
        earlier influences of Christianity."
        Generally, the name associated with each day comes from the sanctoral
        calendar, the feast days of various biblical and extra-biblical historical
        figures. For example, tomorrow you can celebrate the Feast Day of St. Eric,
        King and Martyr, Patron Saint of Sweden, at the same time as you send me
        presents for my name day. :)

        From http://elvis.rowan.edu/~kilroy/JEK/home.html:
        Erik, King of Sweden, Martyr
        Erik IX Jedvardsson was ruler of much of Sweden from 1150 to 1160. He was
        the head of a Christian kingdom with nearby pagan kingdoms, all sharing an
        old tradition of fighting. Around 1155, he headed an expedition into
        Finland, then loosely under Swedish rule, to consolidate Swedish authority
        there and to establish a protected Christian mission, headed by Henry of
        Uppsala, now considered the founder of the Church in Finland (see 19 Jan).
        Erik is also known for undertaking to provide Sweden with fair laws and fair
        courts, and for measures designed to assist the poor and the infirm. As he
        was in church on 18 May 1160, the day after Ascension Day, he was told that
        a pagan Danish army was approaching to kill him. He replied, "Let us at
        least finish the [mass]. The rest of the feast I shall keep elsewhere." As
        he was leaving the church, the pagans rushed upon him and killed him.

        Erik was honored both as an upholder of the Christian faith and as a
        national hero, the ancestor of a long line of Swedish kings. Within thirty
        years after his death his name appeared on the Swedish Calendar, and he is
        accounted the principal patron of Sweden, as (for example) Patrick is of
        Irelend. The silver casket with his remains still rests in the cathedral at
        Uppsala [which I have visited several times].

        Prayer (traditional language)

        O God, who didst call thy servant Erik of Sweden to an earthly throne that
        he might advance thy heavenly kingdom, and didst give him zeal for thy
        Church and love for thy people: Mercifully grant that we who commemorate him
        this day may be fruitful in good works, and attain to the glorious crown of
        thy saints; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee
        and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.
        Prayer (contemporary language)
        O God, who called your servant Erik of Sweden to an earthly throne that he
        might advance your heavenly kingdom, and gave him zeal for your Church and
        love for your people: Mercifully grant that we who commemorate him this day
        may be fruitful in good works, and attain to the glorious crown of your
        saints; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the
        Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

        Eric Robert Andr�, VDM +
        5700 Bunkerhill St. #1801, Pgh. (Highland Park), PA 15206. 412-441-2487